Best Fuzz Pedal??

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jonesy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Machine Man

Machine Man Senior Member

2. cuthbertg

cuthbertg Banned

Build one Jonesy :thumb:

A couple of months ago I got an upgrade kit for my Dunlop Fuzz face for £16, plus a few more pennies for the Si trannys and have never looked back.....

Then I sold my Keeley TS9 and built a Rangemaster, Tonebender, a compressor and a V846 wah with the money and I still have enough parts to make a few more pedals (except switches and enclosures)

Have you seen that fuzz film I posted a while back?

3. picoman

picoman Senior Member

This seems wild
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=palAU_YL8d0]YouTube - JHS Pedals "Bunrunner" 2 in 1 Fuzz Utility[/ame]

4. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Joensy, I'm currently GASsing for an EHX double muff, with cascading second stage. Sounds really really good. I will pick it up soon or else a Big muff pi or russia. They sound so nice

jake

5. Gretsch&Gibson

Gretsch&Gibson Senior Member

I just found a very good deal on a Guyatone TZ-2 pedal locally that I'm picking up in the next couple of days. It's based on a Univox Superfuzz, and it sounded good when I played it with an Epi through a Peavey Valve King to make sure it worked. Not the gear I'll be using, but something to start with.

I was going to get a Spaghetti Western pedal if money and convenience had been no object. Surprisingly, my *gasp* Boss METAL ZONE pedal can get a bit fuzzy if you fiddle with it enough. Maybe it's just because the battery is dying???

Just a few more options for you if you choose to branch out...

6. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

I have three fuzz boxes. Each has its own personality, and I use them all in various set ups.

Keeley Fuzz Head - switchable between germanium and silicon circuits
    [​IMG]

Dunlop Octavio - Reissue of Jimi's
    [​IMG]

JMI Supa Fuzz - 3 OC75 germanium transistors
    [​IMG]

7. ReIgnition

ReIgnition Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MomzVgL_2KA"]YouTube - ZVex Vexter Series Fuzz Factory[/ame]

8. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

That is a nice one! I do absolutely hate ZVex's insistence on the lateral orientation, but they make a great product. I am running a Distortron on my main board right now.

Compared to the fuzz Factory, the MI Neofuzz offers pretty much the same functionality, at a lower cost, and in a normal format. I'd grab one, but I'm pretty well fuzzed, as I mentioned earlier.

9. kungpow!

kungpow! Senior Member

Check out this bitch... :shock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVo96AyZNs]YouTube - Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes[/ame]

10. R8R6Ben

R8R6Ben Senior Member

I just lucked out and found a Yardbox for sale the other day.... the guy shipped it out yesterday:) Soon my fuzzy little one will be here.

11. Indyclone

Indyclone Senior Member

12. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Has anyone tried the Analogman Sunface??

13. blamo

blamo Senior Member

i recently picked up a big muff pi with tone wicker. it sounds great on my egnater. I've been listening to a lot black keys lately as well. love their stuff, same with the white stripes which is why I grabbed a fuzz.

i tried the little big muff pi in store on an AC30 and wasn't impressed by it.

14. wantsa58

wantsa58 Senior Member

I have played through a NKT 275 sunface several times. They are very PICKY. Even changes in humidity will screw with the pedal. That being said I really like them, and plan on getting one soon. I tend to use any booster pedal with one just to add a bit of gain to boost the sunface.

Also there are several types of the sunface. If you go with a NKT make sure it has the "sunface dial" because that makes it easy to adjust the pedal to the current conditions.

Another thing worth mentioning is that, while they sound great, many feel they are not really stage friendly. My buddy never gigs with his, and I have heard the same from several other people. :hmm:

The Black Keys are friggan awesome. I have heard that he used to use a fulltone soul bender or something like that at one point.

15. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Anyone ever tried out either of these Fuzz pedals??:hmm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. guitar_slinger8

guitar_slinger8 Senior Member

never tried them out, but heard great things about them. im interested in their delay.

17. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

18. wantsa58

wantsa58 Senior Member

19. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Any germanium transistor is susceptible to heat, you can probably get away with stage lighting, but I've heard a good amount of complaining about outdoors shows in the summer. I forget the nature of the malfunction, but I think it's temporary, returning to normal once the temperature decreases. It's one of the main reasons manufacturers started moving to silicon in the first place.

20. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Senior Member