Best FRFR powered speakers Alto Tx , Alto TS212 or EV ZLX 12p

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by skysc, Jul 26, 2017.

1. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

2. KenG

KenG Senior Member

The Mission looks interesting, the open-backed Xitone to me not so much.

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

• The cab has multiple modes of operation including: (1) FRFR; (2) FRFR with tone shaping mods developed with Michael; (3) FRFR with 12" driver only, no tweeter; (4) 12" driver raw
    I believe the standard model has no tweeter. The MBritt offers at least the option of no tweeter, although the statement above isn't entirely clear to me.

The truth is, I don't have any experience with these. I am going on faith, and that is not something I am prone to doing. :Ohno:

Possibly my biggest criticism of the 2 powered speakers I have tried is the bass porting. I understand this enhances sound in normal use (a full mix coming through for audience members listening enjoyment). In my experience, the bass porting sounds like someone is always blowing in a jug, accompanying my playing.

4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

What the MBritt does is give you four ways to shape the sound electronically. So option 3 is the 12" speaker with the tweeter cut out electronically.
    The Mission Io got a pretty good write up in GP magazine a couple of months ago.

mdubya likes this.
  5. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

No theory here, but the ts210 does not sound thin for my uses, at all. I play at fairly low volumes with it. The drums we use are electronic, so we don't need to shatter the windows to play here.

Pop1655 and mdubya like this.
  6. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

FWIW, I just finished my first run through with a Alto TS210 playing with backing tracks. With backing tracks through my EV12's and the TS210 on the floor behind me with just my guitar I have to say I was very happy with my initial impression. I ran through several presets on my POD, including the patch for acoustic I've put together (still tweaking it) and they all sounded great to my ear. With just the Alto I didn't get the harshness that I sometimes hear in the EV's, and with the mix of the EV's and Alto behind me, it felt very natural like a nice amp behind me which I've been missing since starting down this digital path.

I played at normal practice volume and did one tune at something near band volume. I'm looking forward to my first chance to try it with my actual band mates to see if it will keep up with actual band sound levels.

For now, I'd happily recommend the TS210 for folks looking for an economical driver for their modeler, especially those playing at home. It definitely punches well above its price point. At just over $200 new, its a hell of a bargain. I'll give an opinion on gig-ability after trying it with my mates.

ttbit, Pop1655 and mdubya like this.
  7. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Glad it is working for you. I have been playing bass lately, while my son plays drums....Alto 10" not so great for bass, maybe. :) I plugged my old Pandora PX4d into the same amp we use for drums and that did the trick. :) Still like it for guitar though. I know NOTHING about bass amplification.

Sournote likes this.
  8. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I haven't been playing with a band for long, but neither of the two bass players I've played with wanted to go through the PA, at least not the PA gear I have.

Our drummer has a couple of big sub's with his rig, and I expect you could run the bass through that no problem, but our very experienced bassist still goes to a stand alone bass rig.

I don't think any 10-15 inch PA speaker is going to cut it for a Bass player playing live. A head and cab is the way to go for live bass from what I've experienced.

9. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Thanks. Good to know.