Best case for vintage SG?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Kinghat, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Kinghat

Kinghat Senior Member

I bought a 1963 Les Paul Junior (SG) without a case. I'm wondering what the absolute best case would be to have? It's never had a headstock crack, and I want to protect it from one.

I understand some cases don't have enough room for the headstock angle; in other words, the headstock rests on the bottom of the case, before the neck can touch the case.

2. Kinghat

Kinghat Senior Member

Bought a 150 dollar Gator case. Looked like the absolute sturdiest of the bunch.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BXI79A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00[/ame]

3. Ehsan79

Ehsan79 Senior Member

Bought my jr without case also,but a few weeks later someone selling a vintage late 60s black with gold interior for 200 bucks.So i grab without doubt.

4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I believe the headstock angle and length of a vintage Gibson SG is the same as on a new Gibson SG. So a case that properly fits a new one should be good for a vintage model.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I use a 90's brown case. Fits great, very sturdy.

6. gman28v

gman28v Senior Member

I have a 69 sg and bought a custom shop case (yellow fur) &had to modify to fit neck properly ymmv

7. FiftySevenPhil

FiftySevenPhil Senior Member

+1 on the 90s brown case (with the cover/curtain and the built in lock). I got one of those with my '67 and it fits real nice and snug. Better fit than the newer SG cases.

1 person likes this.
  8. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

I have an SKB case for mine. It's made for a modern SG but man it's a nice snug fit, looks nice too. I have the original case it came with, which is decent but I wouldn't want to haul it and store it in it. Plus it smells a bit 'mildewy' so the SKB is where mine sits! It's not a photon torpedo type either, it's like this-

[​IMG]

9. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

I bought a Gibson Custom USA case for my 65 SG Jr. Picked it up at a local shop and it was a spare. Had a tiny rip on the top that I glued down. Great quality and I was able to get it for about $100 if I remember correctly ... GB