Best attentuator for a bluesbreaker?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Sunbury les paul man, May 22, 2017.

1. Sunbury les paul man

Sunbury les paul man Senior Member

Hi

I've got my hands on a HW 1962 Ideally I'd like an attenuator that fits in the cab and dials down to something pretty quite.

Has anyone got a recommendation?

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Great question but according to friends that have owned them all..........none.

Great shame really but it seems like there is no "great" attenuator out there.

I am however, going to try a Two Notes Torpedo Reload.

Good luck. Also check out the Attenuator Sticky in this Section.

Good friend of mine just got the same Amp (made pre 2000) so I'll see what he has to say & post it here.

:cheers2:

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Aracom
    Power Station
    Alex Attenuator
    Rock Crusher.

No real order to that. I used all of them. Perhaps I like the Power Station the best because it had an effects loop I used with my Old Marshalls.

Sunbury les paul man likes this.
  4. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

They always seem to make the sound flubby, regardless of brand. You're just gonna hafta crank it!

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    bulletproof and ac/dcfan87 like this.
  5. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I use a Weber Mini-Mass with my 20 watt Jet City amp and it does well at reducing volume while keeping good tone.

Attenuators are funny because people seem to want them for different reasons, and they have different expectations of them. Like any piece of gear, mine can be dialed in to sound bad. But keeping in mind my amp's natural sweet spot for a good maximum volume (set at about 75%), and without expecting to reduce the volume to the point of being able to play while my wife is sleeping next to me, I can get some good, usable reduction without sacrificing much of anything. For instance, I can record without bothering everyone in the house while using the Mini-Mass even though it isn't 'whisper quiet'. If I don't use the attenuator, everyone is bugged because the volume is too high.

And if you consider the volume in these settings is a part of the sound I'm looking for, there really is no sacrifice for me - only trade offs. I'll also say that some amps don't like attenuators very well and actually do sound worse on all settings.

Good luck

6. Wrench66

Wrench66 Senior Member

I couldn't say it any better than hbucker, so I won't try. I'll just say that I am totally happy with the Weber minimass and my 1974 clone.

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Bad Cat Unleash as far as retaining feel of amp and pretty much all of it's tone. Also has a post output loop.

Can't fit it well in the cab though. In fact, any that you could are likely to be of the non reactive types. And using those to "dials down to something pretty quite." your going to seriously suck tone, imho.

bulletproof likes this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I've used the Hotplate, Weber Mass and the Scholz power soak. The Mass worked great for a few years with my reissue Plexi. But, at volume, if I bypassed it, the amp definitely sounded better, more open and responsive. After a while, I could never get a good sound out of the amp a came to the belief that the Mass had gone bad. I also fried a PT in that amp while using the Mass.

I also was using the Hotplate on a Vox AC30 reissue. It worked great for a time but I also had the experience of having crappy tone after months of use.

I put the Powersoak on the plexi the other day and it sounded really bad.

Moral of the story: I stay away from attenuators. I've been using JCM 800's, I have a 2203 and a 2204. Master volume amps work best for me. But, for lower volume practice I use my tweed Deluxe clone and just play clean. Hope that helps.

9. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

The Fryette Power Station tames my BB just fine... but won't fit in the cab...

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

I don't have as much experience here as some others here, but i wasn't as happy with the Power Station as i wanted to be and subsequently sold it.
    As some others have replied in other similar threads, i prefer a good PPI Master Volume for home friendly tones.
    In my experience, even though you are now looking at pre-amp tube gain instead of the preferred power amp saturation gain you can still get some great tone.

Have really been enjoying a 50 Watt Marshall style head this way recently.... will make a proper NAD thread soon.

11. cybermgk

Which is one of the many reasons I moved to a Kemper and an Axe FX II XL+

Rhust likes this.
  12. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

Or just use an amp with a good Master Volume :)

13. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

This :thumb: many MV amps cant still sound killer at low volumes:
    Here's my shitty playing with JCA22

Heres's my shitty playing with JCA22 and attenuator low volumes:

AmpedUp and bulletproof like this.
  14. jwinger

jwinger Senior Member

I use a dr z air brake light with a Tweed Bandmaster and am 100% happy. Yes you lose a bit of tone at the very lowest settings, but the first couple are enough to take the edge of the volume and the tone still sounds spot on. Recommended

15. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

I'm fond of the Bad Cat Unleash on my Bassman.
    Vol on 8 with the Unleash. Magnificent.

16. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Right on the nose with the 50 watt JCM800. That amp can do anything that I need, 60"s to 80's styles.

bulletproof likes this.
  17. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

The first clip sounded great, not so much with the attenuator. I have gotten to the point that I prefer my quiet amps to sound clean and chimey. I would never play that amp with an attenuator, it sounds too good without it.

18. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Use appropriate amp for the venue, there is no good attenuator. It's really trade off situation and it's bad for amp's transformers.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  19. cybermgk

Ah, but I can have non MV, cranked amp tone at low volumes, full note bloom, etc. etc. etc.

bulletproof likes this.
  20. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

Good for you, me too!

bulletproof likes this.