best amp to go with a pod x3 live?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Ryan Daley, May 16, 2010.

1. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Find a decent keyboard amp. It's basically a mini PA system and it won't color the sound too much. It's what I do and it works great, although I love BB's idea of using the stereo outputs with a Bassman. :hmm:

Who likes this.
  2. hawk45

hawk45 Member

I have the original XT Live that run into a Tech21 Power Engine 60. Sounds pretty good but it doesn't give that tube warmth.. but then again, I don't expect it too. It is what it is.. if you want tube warmth.. you need a tube amp. It does cut very well and get very close to what you hear out of headphones if you tweek it.

3. ghooky

ghooky Junior Member

I guess anything with fullrange speakers (like found in good PA systems) should work quite well. The Power Engine 60 supposedly works well with any modeling system although I don't know wether it's got full range speakers.

Anyway, I used to run my Sansamp through a MAG 250 Bassamp going into an Ampeg SVT210HE cabinet... Worked rather well but I guess this wouldn't be an optimal solution if you are really after an uncolored sound ;) So I guess what works best for you is best found out by just trying different amps in a music store nearby.

Btw, if you go for a "normal" amp that's not supposed to be used with modeling solutions, probably the best way to achieve a less colored sound would be to just plug into the effectsloop in, thus, bypassing the preamp section of the amp...

edit: oh just saw that b-squared already suggested plugging into the effects in... so I'll just second that ;)