Benefits of upgrading circuitry?

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by CaineIsCarter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

Hi all

I love my new Epi FB and am very happy with how it sounds, but I read a lot about how some folk upgrade the wiring and pots and caps etc.

Can someone explain please what is the benefit of doing this? Does it improve the sound?

thanks

2. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

Posting this to tone freaks would really open a can of worms, but I'd argue that there's little to no difference in sound. Half of my guitars have upgraded pots/wiring the others stock. If your Epi was made in China it should have Alpha (good) pots and relatively neat wiring, the only thing that tend to go is the output jack and the switch eventually.

People tend to look at it as if you're changing the jack and the switch you may as well upgrade the wiring for the extra cost. It's really up to you, honestly the only difference I notice between Alpha and CTS pots are that the latter feel a little stiffer and have a different sort of log on the volume pots.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I am from the 'don't fix it if it ain't broken' crowd :D

4. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Are you sure you want to mess with this...

...for only a possibility of this?

5. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

Thanks for the replies folks, appreciated. I won't be messing with my guitar's circuitry :)

6. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Changing pots and or caps, with same wiring as before, isn't changing too much.

Changing wiring to '50 scheme does change the tone when you are under the 10 volume and 10 Tone levels, giving you way more brightness at lower volumes but with the tone pots acting on the final level.

You should try these things as there are no words capable to describe a sound. :)

But in general, if you don't need a '50 wiring, you should not fix what's not broken.