Ben Crowe is a Madman - 6 Hour Build!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by redking, Sep 6, 2017.

1. redking

redking Senior Member

The Madman is at it again! Binge watching now...

cooljuk and rockstar232007 like this.
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

I cheated and didn't watch every single minute of it and definitely cheated and saw how long it ended up taking him...but needless to say, he builds a nicer guitar in "X" amount of time than I build in a month!

(Don't want to spoil it for those of you who are watching the series in its entirety!)

Thanks for posting this! I think there's a lot to learn in these videos.

3. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I'm on the sixth episode as I managed to wait for all the episodes to come out so I could binge watch..
    I've been watching his videos for years and the man is an inspiration, I wish him the very best.

4. Draxond

Draxond Member

After watching the whole series, I'm purchasing some of their tools (the setup kit with a couple extras) shortly just to take advantage of the coupon and get in to try and win that thing.

If the tools are as good as advertised, it's worth it. Shipping to the US is only $20. If you shop in their store from outside the U.K., it will change the prices to remove the VAT in your cart. Price wise, comparable to Stewmac, if anything cheaper.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  5. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Do you mean this kit?

https://crimsonguitars.com/store/luthiers-starter-toolkit/

If so you can buy offcuts of exotic woods and buy the tool/file itself. Seriously I'd be going Stewmac before the items on their site - and that notched straight edge isn't a necessity, its a luxury.

6. Draxond

Draxond Member

7. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Your choice obviously - I'd still stick with the Mac product and they have extra grades.

That stuff is used in Jewellery and metal finishing. If you search around your find it online. e.g one company - Garryson/Garryflex is another:

https://www.cratex.com/Products/Rubber-Abrasives

8. Tone_Chaser

Tone_Chaser Senior Member

I wonder why he waited until the build to design the body. That wasted a lot of time considering there wasn't a lot of time to begin with. He did a pretty good job, I don't know if I could complete a fingerboard in 6 hours.

9. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I had to take a break from watching, awhile back. Dude likes to ramble (and divert). Getting hard to keep up.

10. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Oh yeah he likes to ramble or do the infomercial spiel. Turned out nice, I'd probably prefer it without the constant voice over

rockstar232007 likes this.
  11. Draxond

Draxond Member

So, funny story.

I decided to use that promo code to purchase those tools previously mentioned. While they haven't arrived (or shipped, for that matter), I did get some good news last night.

That guitar will be on my wall relatively soon. As soon as it can ship across the pond.

I almost gave my wife a heart attack when I saw my name on the drawing video.

HansPanzer, mux164, jkes01 and 2 others like this.
  12. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Meaning you won the 6 hour guitar?

13. mangus

mangus Senior Member

You lucky guy... Congratulations!

14. Draxond

Draxond Member

Yup. Still can't really believe it.

And thanks mangus! I'll see if I can snap some pics when it comes in, on top of a quick quality check/review of my tools when they show up too.

15. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I ordered a few things(stains and oil) last year and they were Very good and very neatly packed

Draxond likes this.
  16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

thats awesome. Congrats :)

17. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Was there at the live draw event, absolutely cracking day and congrats Draxond you lucky bugger! I was kind of hoping it would have been someone in the room but as Ben said in the video- would have looked dodgy! Can testify the tools they do are fantastic though, but they are a seriously small company with an even smaller tool making department (the tools is the side gig-they are a GUITAR company first) so they are frequently inundated with purchases, and need time to make the bloody things (it is not a production line thing you know- literally people at workbenches in a small room) so the tools will be ready and will be shipped but they need time to slowly tackle all the orders, especially with the giveaway meaning there are 700 lots of tools to be sent out as well as preparation for the weekend event last Saturday... trust me they are worth it ;) They get the finishing oil in large batches of 25 litres or so and get through it in a week on guitars and through the shop!

P.S. I had a wee strum on the 6 hour guitar, and it is lovely lovely lovely, same as all their stuff, but I hope you like REALLY chunky necks...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  18. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Dude, that is so cool that a forum brother won this. Congrats!

19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Congrats, are you leaving it as is or adding more electronics?

20. Draxond

Draxond Member

That's awesome that you were there! I'd love to see that shop in person. Seems to have a very intimate feel from the videos. I definitely understand the lead time needed for the tools. Small company + lots of orders + small stock = long wait. Not a problem at all, and I'm glad they got all those orders from this little promotion. And the chunky neck issue won't be much of an issue. I'm usually lucky to make noise out of a guitar, let alone pretty noise.

Thanks man!

Thanks! I'm probably going to leave it as is. Single pickup direct wired doesn't give many sound choices, but as I said before, most of my sound choices are "noise" or "bad noise". So, it'll stay as it is. Especially for being such a special one-off, never replicated guitar, I'd like to leave it stock.