Belated NGD. New JB FB1

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Bud Stoner, Feb 18, 2017.

1. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Yes, those are the ones. I didn't have to enlarge the holes at all. I laid the guitar flat on my workbench and hammered them in. I screwed the studs down about 3/8" into the bushings and put a block of wood on top of them and they went in with a little effort. They're good and tight. I'll take a couple of shots of the bridge area in the morning.
    Thanks!

2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Just put them on order along with the steel locking studs. I'll give them a try then see about a bridge.

3. roscoenyc

roscoenyc Senior Member

Glad you are liking yours.
    I'm really impressed by mine. I've had it since mid December and I've taken it to a lot of gigs. One run of gigs I was gonna use it as back up but quickly moved it to the main guitar. It really holds tuning well. All I did to tweak it was a couple truss rod adjustments and I raised the bass side of the pickup a little to get a little more bottom out of it.
    I also put a .001 treble bleed cap on the volume because that's what I'm used to. It's been a very long time since I bought a guitar this cheap that was done so well. I'm not a fan of Joe B's music but I really appreciate the work he put into properly spec-ing out this guitar. My hat's off to him and Epiphone.

4. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I'm really enamored by this guitar. Maybe it's because I've always wanted a Firebird 1, but these really are that cool.

My guitar really stays in tune well, although I need to file the nut slots to bring the strings down a bit. I'll measure the height with my Stew Mac dial gauge and report the findings. TM1 had a 6/6 nylon nut installed on his, and that's something I would definitely consider.

5. roscoenyc

roscoenyc Senior Member

I missed out on buying a '64 in LA around 1979 from Red Rhodes. Always wanted one.

6. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Wow, a '64? That would've been a great one to have!

The more I play mine, the more into FB's I am.

I wouldn't mind finding an FB VII like the one our fellow forumite lesuedois just picked up. Or a V, heck even a Studio model will be fine.

7. judson

judson Senior Member

here you go, sunburst cavity...looks like they changed the bit..:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Indeed, it would appear so! :thumb:

That is a much cleaner route than mine! Very nice!

9. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Here are a couple pics of the cavities on my Sunburst model. They don't look too bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Nice! Very clean looking routes compared to mine!

Yours are downright purty! :naughty:

11. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Here's the bridge on mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Wow! :wow: That's the bridge right there! You just helped me make up my mind! Thanks so much.

It looks really good on the bird! :thumb:

13. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Anytime! Glad I could help out! I think these are really good guitars and upgrading some bits, etc really puts them to another level.

14. roscoenyc

roscoenyc Senior Member

Is that the Faber bridge?
    Faber studs too?
    Did you pull the bushings also or just screw them into the existing threads?

15. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Roscoe, TM1 said the bushings are the 1.188" steel bushings from Philadelphia Luthier Tools, and the bridge is made by ABM in Germany.

The bridge model is 3021 and is available from AllParts for $120.00. It does come with the steel studs, which ABM recommends using for the best results.

It looks like a piece of artwork, at least to me. :thumb:

Bushings link: http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/extra-long-1-188-stop-bar-tailpiece-anchor-mounting-bushings-steel-coarse-knurl/

And the AllParts link for the bridge: https://www.allparts.com/TP-3403-010-ABM-3021-C-Wrap-Around-Tailpiece-Chrome_p_4212.html

16. roscoenyc

roscoenyc Senior Member

Very cool. Do you absolutely need the bushings?

17. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

Yes, you Needs the Bushings! They are the connection between the strings and the wood. The Epi bushings are just push-in types. The steel ones are exactly like what Gibson used on the originals. They make a stronger contact with the wood and go into the body 1.18". The hardware Epi uses is more for a convenience of production. Pot metal doesn't make for good string vibration transfers.
    BTW, my compensated wrapover is nickel plated Bell Brass. The link to Allparts shows a chrome plated Aluminium one. The Bell Brass resonates much stronger and gives a bigger, fatter tone... why.. it rings like a bell..doh..
    Here's the one I have:
    http://www.abm-guitarpartsshop.com/...BM-3021/Bell-Brass/ABM-3021n-Nickel::189.html

18. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

What Tone Man said!

I look at that upgrade as a "whole package" kind of thing.