Beginner restoration/modding

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Itwaslupus, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Itwaslupus

Itwaslupus Junior Member

I found a really beat up les paul in my basement, after some help from these forums to identify it i'v decided I'd like to make a project out of it.
    Thing is, i'm VERY new to this sort of thing, so if anyone has any advice for a beginner restoration/modding project please let me have it, i'll post some progress pics once I get into it.
    EDIT: I'm not too dead set on building it with the best/most expensive parts, this is just a project to learn how to build and mod so that I can start doing fancy stuff in the future.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. Tubejockey

Tubejockey Member

Let's start with some pics of what we are dealing with. Then move on to what you would like it to do when it grows up.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Yep!
    Pics please!
    :D

4. Itwaslupus

Itwaslupus Junior Member

It's pretty rough

Attached Files:

5. judson

judson Senior Member

i consider myself a beginner, but that would be perfect for you to start....

dont know the make, maybe a epiphone or a bradley or something but its from korea obviously.....so no problem if you screw something up .......this is what i would do

a) take it apart, everything
    b) for the pickups connected to the pots, dont cut any leads, get a soldering iron and only unsolder the leads so you can take the pickups out completely, same with switch but remove all electronics.
    c) take all the tuners off, your gonna need one more or maybe buy a new set.
    d) take all the plastic off
    e) looks like you took the neck off?

then start cleaning the body, the neck......everything and check to see if the neck is warped, twisted, see if truss rod is present and if it works....if the neck is shot dont know if it worth replacing the neck...

then start to decide what you should use replace or upgrade

if you are already comfortable takin guitars apart and putting them back together as you just looking for mods, that will depend on how much you want to spend but first determine if it is worth it on that guitar....some simple mods maybe

search alot of threads here for whatever you are curious about or dont know ....

dont rush...do you have another guitar to play while you work on this one?

the goal i would set is to make it a playable guitar while deciding were your money for upgrades is best spent. Also if you want to try stripping the finish, cleaning up frets and fingerboard that is a thought also, but i sort of like that gold....but do what you want.

i know i prolly missed alot of points but others can guide you better than i

but have fun with it

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Don't get your hopes too high though.
    I have stripped a guitar quite like yours (multiply wood body)
    to find a thin veneer top not good enough for a see-through finish.
    I had the idea to have it black anyway so no sweat for me
    but you might not have to sand down to the wood if a solid color is what
    you have in mind...

7. Tubejockey

Tubejockey Member

Unless you really want to get into finishes, I would leave that alone. Think of it as reliced. Make sure the neck is good first. Hardware spacing causes people trouble so measure carefully and choose your replacements wisely.