Bedroom Levels with quality tone and pedal friendly?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by sidious911, Jun 9, 2014.

1. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Senior Member

I do 90% of my playing at apartment levels and while there maybe other answers out there the only one I can guarantee if to take (fill in the blank amp) and run it through the Badcat Unleash. Demos in my link below but here is one of a guy getting a loud clean out of a 1 watt JTM

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16I9IaSysDw]Marshall JTM1 with Bad Cat Unleash - YouTube[/ame]

Essentially you can take any amp to 100w or down to ultra quiet where nothing sounds good.

I ended up getting a smaller amp built so I wont always need the Unleash but I use it almost all the time.

If you dont need to move it:

Head -> Unleash -> nice cab with whatever speakers

You could even get a JMP1c and swap the speaker for something rated much higher like a v30 or creamback and blow people heads off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgX7tPNdGfM[/ame]

My long winded demo with a 25watt amp at gig levels in an apartment at night
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW4eryUnWdY]Bedroom Demo: Badcat Unleash - YouTube[/ame]

2. guitarman6600

guitarman6600 Senior Member

My old HT-5 Blackstar head had the worst volume sweep imaginable. If you BARELY moved it off 0, it went loud in a hurry! Don't know if it was a bad pot, or if that was how they were made. Wasn't a big fan of the gain from that amp anyhow.

3. Gerr

Gerr Senior Member

What about the Laney Ironheart series or Tubemeister series? Both are switchable to 1W or lower.

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

for my low wattage needs I turn to the 15 watt tweaker or a blackface fender vibro champ. both are spectacular and take pedals well.

5. Birdy

Birdy Senior Member

Hell...buy a silverface Champ[/Vibrochamp. Change the speaker(or not), roll in
    some nice glass(or not)....and you got the best pedal friendly bedroom amp.
    Play the hell out of it and enjoy....you'll never sell it.

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Overdrive channel has a gain and a volume, master volume. Well, more like a channel master volume. There are some multi ch amps that have a channel volume and a shared master volume. The key is the gain drives the preamp, and the volume is how much the output phase amplifies the signal. Crank the gain, you get preamp distortion. Crank the volume output, both, both.

Clean ch, however is combined gain and volume. TO get any saturation/distortion on that ch takes loudness.

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes, it keeps tone separate from volume. want to make that 1/2 watt amp 100w loud, you got it. Set that larger amp to tone you like, then adjust the output volume to what you need or want.

AND, it allows for FX post output phase, i.e. added to the final amp's outputted tone/sound.

One of the better gear purchases ever for me.

8. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Yep!
    There are more op amps and Fets in the signal path than tubes. Heck there are more op amps in there than a distortion pedal... The EQ is solid state, the solid state components are amplifying the signal to get enough gain to overdrive the tubes, sure...but there's a load of solid state stuff in there. It's like a pedal built into the front of a tube amp.
    But don't get upset, I'm not knocking it - they do sound very good. Nothing wrong with op amps, but you should know you're getting a lot of them if you think you just bought tubes. Especially since your signal has to go through them all the time.

If you prefer to call it a hybrid that's reasonable - it might be more exact. Musicman was primarily solid state too, even more so, and they sound great.

9. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

I'd say look for an amp you like the sound of the pre-amp on that has a master volume. I REALLY like the sound of my Peavey classic's pre-amp and it has a master volume, so I can crank the pre and post gain up in the pre-amp lead channel and keep the master vol at ~1 and it's not too loud. There's a limit here, you can't run it too quiet or it's too thin sounding, but I can run it quiet enough that my neighbors don't call the cops etc. And it takes pedals really well. It's a question of personal preference tho. I don't think this amp is suitable for high gain metal sounds etc. But for moderate gain / compression like classic rock and rockabilly and such it's fine.

10. Catthan

Catthan Senior Member

Blackstar HT5 was fine for me

11. Murphy59plaintop

Murphy59plaintop Banned

12. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

Awww, what a cutie! :) Just got a Marshall DSL 15 head and Vox V112NT cab, a bit louder than bedroom level but full-sounding, versatile goodness if the settings are patiently dialled in.

13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Neither the Orange Tiny Terror nor the VOX Night Train will get you there.

14. cybermgk

Hybrid would be if one of preamp stage or output stage were all SS.

15. cybermgk

But that is the key, your not HEARING the op amps cipping/saturation and their hard square wave harmomnics. Your hearing the saturated (albeit preamp tube mostly) tube distortion. And that makes all the difference to me. Really no different than running an OD pedal In front of a tube amp without them. Your just stuck with the one 'flavor of pedal. In fact, it is, imho what makes the HT1 and HT5t such a good low-volume tube ampa. And yes, I consider them tube amps because the preamp final tone and amplification, as well as output phase are tube produced.

Many tube amps have SS EQs, Reverbs, even PIs.

1 person likes this.
  16. afranke

afranke Senior Member

peavey classic 30.great clean channel that takes pedals very well.nice overdrive channel and sounds good a low volumes.built like a tank,can also accept an extension cab to make it sound even better.cant go wrong with this one.

17. Roman4405

Roman4405 Senior Member

I had an HT-5 that I used for practice. It was ok for that but I wasn't a fan of the cleans. It didn't cut it for me in a band situation either, even mic'd I didn't like it. Now I have to use one at my church because that's what they bought, still not a fan but it does take pedals pretty well.

But it turns out I really liked Fenders, now I use my Blues Deluxe Ri, 40 watts but it still sounds great in my living room. I also had an AC4C1, that amp was great and I really loved it, I regret getting rid of it but I didn't need that and the BDRi, thought it was a great sounding little amp.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ketchup181

Ketchup181 Senior Member

I concur with most tube amps being way to loud for bedroom levels, my Marshall Class 5 can keep up at band practice when set up to 10...and my Orange th30c is still blazingly loud at 7 watts, you could look at those 1 watt marshall heads? I've never played one, but I feel if you cranked 1 watt it would still be suitable for bedroom. What I can tell you is I never liked the Blackstar ht series, and stay away from cheap fender amps, those things are pieces of junk imo, its not a matter of if they break, its a matter of when.

19. skysc

skysc Senior Member

+1000

even the 1 watter are too loud for a bedroom IMO . theres no whisper or quiet volume with a tube amp .. at this level , you only hear the tube "hissing" and not very musical IMO . Tube amp have a minimum playing volume to sound good , under that , forget it . its even harder to get a mid-level breakup tone( think acdc or natural overdrive ) .

im really happy with my solid state set up .. specially a high gain player .

rocktron voodu valve preamp into rocktron velocity power amp and marshall 2061cx 2x12 cab .

im also a very nice pedal for thrash metal and metallica , megadeth stuff .. the LIne 6 uber metal going into the rocktron voodu valve into a clean preset .

The line 6 uber metal is still the most surprising pedal for his saturated metal tones at bedroom volume and it sound good in crappy solid state amp too .. its a bit digital , but can nail solid thrash metal modern metal tones for cheap .

20. Roman4405

Roman4405 Senior Member

Check out a Princeton, great cleans and very pedal friendly. Will probably be my next amp, sometimes the 40lb BDRi is a little too heavy to carry around.

And I don't get how people can say no tube amp sounds good at bedroom levels, just nonsense, especially if you want a nice clean sound to build off of with pedals. That bein said there are some really nice sounding solid state amps, I like the Vox VT series and the Roland Cubes, the ones with 12" speakers, I don't remember te model names but I've played both recently and really liked what I heard.