Beano on Ebay

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by burp43, Jun 1, 2012.

1. purpleguitarboy

purpleguitarboy Banned

some say the beano didn't even exist, clapton was so drugged up at the time he didn't know what day it was half the time...

2. strat les sg

strat les sg Senior Member

Im with you on this

3. burp43

burp43 Junior Member

It's a guitar that comes from the factory spec'd the way I want it, that I don't have to otherwise fiddle with or "customize"...and used, it doesn't cost all that much more than a regular R0. What's not to like? The EC part is just icing on the cake.

I think I'm going to pass on this particular one, though. But I will have one! :D

4 people like this.
  4. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

I'll take an R0 built to Claptons spec, with Clapton's name on it, thats a limited edition any day over a run of the mill R0. For the extra 500 bucks you get an iconic guitar that many here like to put down but secretly wish they owned.

4 people like this.
  5. guitarmandp

guitarmandp Senior Member

If these guitars are so desireable why did this one sell with a best offer for $5,300?

You'd think by the way people are talking about them here that they are more valuable than the Pearly Gates run

6. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

Not sure about the $5300. It may have been significantly used or had a problem... or possibly priced for quick cash. I know one just sold for $6k USD so thats the current market price.... Exactly US MAP. Thats holding its value pertty well with a run of 350 total for VOS.

Completed sale on Ebay -Click "advanced" and check "completed items". Ebay will not process the direct link. Sorry

7. jamman

jamman Premium Member

They will be , just wait . If you think BG has a bigger name in the music world and the rest of the world , try asking some peope who is who . Almost everyone knows EC's name .

It depends on whom is buying the guitars . 2 differnent types of guitar players are looking at these guitars . Same like the JP run from 1995 , why are those at the price they are ? 'cause it has his name on it . From what I understand it's nothing like any of JP's guitars . But to some folks JP is an almost God like figure , who was just as stoned out as EC was . But the truth of that is , he ain't no Saint .

Another point with the PG's is , it has SD pups in it (some have DW's) . For some reason a lot of people like SD pups . Along with all the Marketing that went along with the PG guitar. Sheep , following the Wolfe . The PG is just another R9 you know . :lol:

8. joff

joff Senior Member

I have a friend who sold his VOS Beano last year in the UK for £5,000 (about $7,500) and i sold one of mine last August for £4,999...and i sold my VOS Pearly Gates about six months earlier for £6,950.

9. guitarnut_germany

guitarnut_germany Senior Member

yeah, but the PG still exists and can be examined and touched ;)

chances are those PG clones have much more in common with the original than the beano with it's original

10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Maybe in some ways , but for me having SD pups in the guitar (even though BG wanted them ) is the deal killer . I think SD's bite . And when I played 1 of the PG's it did nothing more than any R9 does as far as tone . Imo, Gibson should have done a Custom run of pups for the guitar . Than it would be special .
    And close How ? The neck ? on the S&A yes the sig has value The Aged ones have value . If you value that . Still it's no PAF'ed 59 . The base line vos PG guitar is nothing like the PG original . Except the PG name on it . Marketing a dream is what they are . That goes for both guitars .

Unless you go for 1 of the Aged or S&A it ain't really close . Time will tell on these , but I still have yet to see 1 EC S&A on the market for sale . That says something . The PG's S&A I've seen can't get sold at anything close to the asking price or even sold in some cases . I was offered a very low # PG for well less than asking price, (if you want the price I'll PM you) it's still unsold . See how fast you could sell a S&A EC today . Imo , That's the real test .

1 person likes this.
  11. joff

joff Senior Member

Btw...looking at the Ebay Auction for this VOS Beano that just sold...it sold for £3,890 + delivery...that is actually about $6,000 + delivery.

12. journeyman73

journeyman73 Senior Member

your thoughts are not entirely without merit - though, there is a classy way to share one's opinion.

i think its pretty sad that you go out of your way to bash this particular model, particularly when the original poster is clearly into it.

we get it - you dont like the guitar, dont think its a replica, dont think eric really had anything to do with it, think its overpriced, and think anyone who feels otherwise is drinking the kool aid....thanks :dude:

1 person likes this.
  13. foxyguitars

foxyguitars Member

guys, stop spilling the beans,
    keep up apparences :)

14. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

the thing I don't get is why people get so wound up about the VOS model. it was the same price as a '59... I played both and the beano had better tone. that was the basis I bought mine on. the fact that it is limited and has some association to Clapton is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

2 people like this.
  15. journeyman73

journeyman73 Senior Member

exactly, it was never priced like the other signature 'replicas' - so wtf is the problem? it had a custom neck profile and custom pickups - if you liked it, you bought it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

Just a heads up for the OP.Not mine, don't know the seller either.Good price.

Clapton Beano Les Paul | eBay

I have #20 and it's a great guitar.

Cheers
    Daz

17. burp43

burp43 Junior Member

Wow, that one went for a good price! I almost went for it, but I didn't like that the pickups had been fiddled with. Also I couldn't get a good handle on the top from the photos, it looked kind of blotchy to me. Did anyone on here get it? I'll probably be kicking myself later. :slap:

18. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

Yep, someone got a great deal, even better then mine.The swapped pickup covers would'nt have stopped me, so long as the original pickups are there - they're quite something.
    We'll have to keep an eye out for the NGD post.

Then again being a Beano maybe the new owner would prefer to keep his enjoyment to himself rather than be subjected to a barrage of abuse, hehe.

1 person likes this.
  19. Angus

Angus Senior Member

Some people just want (and are willing to pay for) a guitar that is modelled on the Beano instrument as far as is possible - and Eric Clapton, who one might expect to have some authority on the subject, has been consulted with.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but where's the harm? :)

20. guitarmandp

guitarmandp Senior Member

But wait I thought these were worth tons of money, right OPenwheel?

There's an aged unsigned Beano right now on eBay, three days left and not even 1 offer which to me indicates not a lot of interest.

And I completely disagree about the "name your artist here" Les Pauls being sold left and right. Usually when an artist model comes out there's a bunch of Gibson dealers trying to meet their quota that sell them off to middle men at cost and they wind up on eBay and temporarily eBay gets flooded. After those are gone in my experience it's usually very difficult to find artist guitars.

No it wasn't. MAP on a 59 is $6,000 right now, and that's after a hefty price increase this year. MAP on the Clapton was $6,000 and judging by that recent sale on eBay it doesn't look to be holding it's value at all.