Beano on Ebay

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by burp43, Jun 1, 2012.

1. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Member

Not while recording the beano album....

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

i just Listened to Beano the Other day, yep, it still kicks major tush!

3. guitarmandp

guitarmandp Senior Member

You have no clue who your talking to. I've played the Beano.

The ones I saw on eBay sold for $5,500 which is less than they cost new so they have not held their value.

Call a spade a spade. It's a lightly figured R0 with different pickups and grovers. Beano was a plain top with a double white & a double black so right off the bat they got the look wrong

When I talked to Tom Murphy even he thought having an aged version was ridiculous and he's the one that aged them.

Eric Clapton has a family and a succesful career, he's moved on with his life. He's not thinking about beano 24/7

1 person likes this.
  4. joff

joff Senior Member

What a load of rubbish.

4 people like this.
  5. Walman

Walman Senior Member

The Beano wasn't a plaintop, it was lightly figured and more prominent on the bass side. Most of the clever guys here and on the LPF know that. As for the bobbins same problem with the PG, copyright infringement, Dimarzio solely have the rights as you know.

3 people like this.
  6. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

You are correct on one thing... I don't have a clue who you are. Please enlighten me so that I may possibly take you more seriously.

I happen to have a copy of the photo GyspySeven posted above. My copy is 18" x 18" approximately and signed by David Wedgbury (now deceased) who took the photo. Its one of the few from negative ever produced. I can tell you most definitely it is lightly figured in the picture and I can see every line of ring in the wood.

There is no doubt it is still just a 60 RI les paul. But there are key features, dents and scratches that Eric remembered being on the beano that have been put on every aged guitar. If Eric says its "spot on" as far as tone, I have to take him at his word. I can tell you that through my Marshall Bluesbreaker combo the tone is near perfect to the Decca Mono version of the recording. So if the tone is same, and it carries the features, and is collectible whats your beef here? That Gibson made some money for giving us exactly what many here have asked for?

4 people like this.
  7. guitarmandp

Looks like a plain top to my eyes.

That's not what Tom Murphy told me, but then again you know everything.

Yeah that guitar was stolen 15 years before I was born, I can just picture Eric Clapton on the phone to Pat Foley "Yeah there was this quarter of an inch ding by the output jack, and then there was about 3 lines of finish checking on the back of the headstock, and then there was no checking on the headstock but there were six tiny chips 1/8th of an inch thick, and there was also about 4 buckle rash scratches, and there was a 2 inch ding by the poker chip, etc..."

First of all, I don't remember reading any interview where Clapton said it's spot on (why don't you post a link to it) and even if he did say it was "spot on", I wouldn't believe him anyway. it's not like he has a ton of credibility. What else is he going to say "Yeah Gibson released this guitar that is a tribute to my Beano, but to be honest I'm not very happy with how these turned out, they suck, whoever bought them basically flushed six grand down the toilet, the 1960 that I own now is 50 times better than any of those crappy Beano replica's". He's not going to say that.

I don't have a problem with Gibson putting out an inspired by Beano guitar. But without having the original to measure and spec out from, it's nothing more than a Beano tribute and anybody who says that it's an exact replica of the original is fooling themselves.

And it's laughable for anybody to say the tone is the "same" considering their are other factors besides the guitar, and amp like the mic type and positioning, acoustics in the room the amp was in, tape. I have the same recording of "Stepping Out" on the Cream BBC Sessions CD and the Eric Clapton Crossroads Box Set, it's the exact same recording but the guitars sound completely different because of the remastering.

8. guitarmandp

No Gibson is too cheap. Nobody will ever be able to convince me that Gibson couldn't partner with DiMarzio and create a custom pickup set. The double white is the most distinctive thing about that guitar, and it's not even on the so called replica.

1 person likes this.
  9. guitarnut_germany

guitarnut_germany Senior Member

Guys, no one here is arguing if the "beanos" are good or bad guitars.

I am more than sure they play great and would appeal to any R0 skinny neck player. What I find ridiculous is how one can make a "replica" of a guitar that's been missing for the last 40 odd years. I doubt even Eric can recall what the neck felt like or what it sounded like. This is horsepoo... marketing.

It's just an R0 with a few extra touches as far as I am concerned.

1 person likes this.
  10. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

I'd be very interested in know what Tom said. I have not talked to Tom.

As far as knowing everything... I know I have 2 of them. I know they have the same very distinctive marks in the same places. Some can be seen in pictures, some not. I was told 3rd hand that these were marks "as remembered by Eric" by a source I cannot divulge. I am smart enough to know that Eric's memory may be suspect but the man has no reason to lie about this at this point in his career.

I'll bet it felt good to belt that out. :) A dig to the man's credibility and putting words in his mouth with YOUR opinion in jest.

He doesn't have to say that as its a dayum nice guitar. I have yet to find a better one and I can have almost any guitar I want. I have had a luthier and a guitar tech tell me my aged (unsigned) is the best LP they have ever played. Many changes were made to please Eric according to people at Gibson. I choose to believe them, or drink the kool-aide as some here put it.

I have not read that anyone said it is an exact replica. I certainly don't. Here's Gibson's words.... "Now, for the first time ever, Gibson Custom and Eric Clapton have teamed up to revisit one of the most legendary Les Paul Standards, a guitar produced in honor of an iconic instrument lost to the public eye for nearly 45 years.

The Gibson Custom Shop Eric Clapton 1960 Les Paul has been created with the close personal cooperation of the artist, and with painstaking reference to available photographs. Clearly there are special challenges in creating a guitar based on one that no longer exists, but this strictly Limited Edition instrument accurately represents what Eric Clapton personally feels his 1960 Les Paul should be. Every component in the build—including grain pattern and finish color, neck profile and feel, pickups, and more—has been personally approved by Clapton through several iterations from Gibson Custom so that, ultimately, this guitar comes as close as possible to recreating the hallowed '60 Burst as it exists today in the mind of this legendary artist
    . "

Now what is wrong with that description? Please tell me?

Dude your splitting hairs... I did not say "same". I said "near perfect". I can tell you for absolute certainty that this guitar into a Marshall Bluesbreaker with no pedals cranked to the top sounds great and to my ear and others sounds almost perfect to the MONO recording. Hell yes I can change the tone slightly with different speakers. So what? I am running a turntable into a 1972 Fender PA system and it sounds breathtaking at 100 watts or so. If you havn't heard the Decca MONO recording you have not heard the Beano tone that achieved him "god" status at the time. It's what everyone heard back in 66 as there was no stereo. I lived it. The stereo version sucks in comparison. I challenge anyone to get the tone any closer than Gibson did.

2 people like this.
  11. burp43

burp43 Junior Member

Wow...didn't expect all this.

I still want a Beano! :D

Haven't heard back from seller yet...

12. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

You will definitely enjoy it. Good luck with the purchase!

13. joff

joff Senior Member

I love my Beano neck. :)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. joff

joff Senior Member

I love my Beano...all 8 lb 4 oz of it. :)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. joff

joff Senior Member

Yes...and that was the other odd thing...it took a while to get a response from that Seller...which is odd since they are trying to sell an expensive guitar...and when i asked if the guitar was really brand new...iirc they said that it had only been played for a few hours...well sorry...in my book that is not brand new but actually 2nd hand...not a problem of course...but it is still 2nd hand.

16. RUFFCUT

RUFFCUT Senior Member

Here's my Beano VOS #28, nice guitar IMO...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. OPenwheel

OPenwheel Senior Member

Here's my pair of Aces... #11 aged on the left and #24 Aged and Signed.

[​IMG]

I play the aged one daily.

18. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Well here goes my 2 cents . If you don'y like the guitars or anything about it ,no one is making you buy one , are they ? If the owner of 1 likes them and know they are special what's the difference to you . I have 1 , an S&A , and it's the best R0 I've ever played , bar none . These are special guitar imo and the people who have them seem to like them enough not to put many up for sale often . That should say something about them .
    As to the berating of the guitar itself . That sounds like a bunch of little kids fighting on the play ground . Funny I haven't seen which sig models you all have .
    Let the guy buy the guitar he wants and be happy for him , in that he might get the 1 he wants. what's better than that ?

1 person likes this.
  19. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Did you get the guitar?? Personally I would just get a nicely figured R0 and get a white hb in the neck position. Maybe even change out the tuners (thought I like the tulips better) and call it a beano!

20. HellRot

HellRot Senior Member

I asked the seller a question, whether it's the same guitar he was selling several months ago, and got a straightforward answer: "It is not sold" :)