Beam blocker opposing poles of thought....

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Hatefulsob, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

• I've seen the weber style beam blockers that cover the dust cap center of the speaker, and then I came across an article that suggests making a 10 or 12" donut that covers the whole speaker but with a CUT OUT leaving the dust cap exposed. Someone please explaine the polar opposite schools of thought. Thanks.

2. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

I have experimented with both designs myself - (home-made, not the weber product). What I found was that it didn't seem to matter on how the restriction was created (and I experimented with different type/ amount of holes) - the sound was largely unchanged (but with reduced beaming), and became very uni-directional [EDIT - i MEAN OMNI-DIRECTIONAL] in some instances (very cool, if you've ever used a phaser and got that effect where the sound is no longer directional but appears to be coming from everywhere?).

What I did find though, was that when I put an obstruction in the centre of the cone, the sound became thinner and nasal with a honk. This seems counter intuitive, I know. But, when I think of a trumpet mute, which does a similar thing, well, kind of makes sense.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Hogman A, I think you mean omnidirectional, not unidirectional. I've used the Beam Blocker and like it for that very effect. I use mostly small combo amps where the dispersion is not great, and the beam blocker helps avoid blasting those right in line with the amp while delivering insufficient volume elsewhere. It's not a great solution for a large space, but in small, room sized venues I like the result. I haven't noticed much of a tonal change in my rig.

HogmanA likes this.
  4. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Moreles, I did mean omnidirectional!