Bass amps that are great for guitar... GO!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by 5-0 phonebooth, Jul 2, 2017.

1. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

I've always looked for 'guitar' amps which were made for bass, accordion, organ, etc. from way back and generally came away overjoyed, especially when they proved to luv lap steel guitar, my main focus, and if they were great for everything then GRAND SLAM! as I'm currently on another bass amp hunt I've found a few more that take the cake for guitar, I'll start with a favorite for many ...the '59 Bassman sound which can be dialed in on a Roland Cube Bass 100 in the 'B man' setting is surprisingly OK. Finally, a Bassman which actually excels at being a bass amp too!* they make lower wattage versions which may perform as well as the 100, maybe better.
    Another choice are the SWR Workingman's 10, 12, and 15, simply AMAZING.
    these each are usually easy to find @ around $200.
    for the vintage side, and still on the cheap... my Guild Thunderbass' 50 (maybe) watt head is a Marshall killer, and that's pure stock, tweak them for guitar and fugetaboutit cos somebody will steal it.
    *now here's what I found yesterday and can't get off my mind; a stunning chest-high piggy-back Fender silverface at a local shop, I instantly became intrigued and now find they tend to be fine low vol. bass amps at probably 50 watts but rated higher. as I lit out the owner claimed 4 10s were inside the cab, then in my nascent research I've seen nothing but typical square 4x10 combos with 0 mention of a larger option, but this tall dude could easily handle another 2! now I'm kicking myself for not peeking... but I found this quote - ''Starting in 1972, Fender produced a number of variations on this Bassman with varying wattage and speaker size.'' plus, they seem quite inconsistent in performance quality with some being great for both bass or guitar and others dog-ish, then there's 2 distinct versions from the era to contend with, each having their pros / cons. I'm betting this is one of the good ones and I feel another trip to the music store comin' on. I posted this at talkbass to see if this cab is fo'real or what's the deal.
    what hidden gems have you found?

jcsk8 and bulletproof like this.
  2. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

A superior clone of the guitar usage of the Bassman is the excellent Roland Blues Cube.

bulletproof likes this.
  3. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Marshall Super Bass.

4. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Traynor yba-1 Bassmans are supposed to be deadly guitar amps.

bulletproof and Freddy G like this.
  5. LJGriggs

LJGriggs Senior Member

I have an old Marshall JMP model #1986 50 watt Bass Head that I use for large venues and outdoor events. (This is the same Marshall model# Duane Allman used). These units are a little difficult to find, and typically aren't cheap, but they are great guitar amps once you figure out how to "EQ" them to the sweet spot.

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yes they are. I've owned a few of them and they are beasts! Built like tanks.
    Right now on my bench I've got an Ampeg B-15 flit top bass amp. After servicing it I plugged my guitar in to test it out. I ended up playing for hours and even doing some recording with it. A beautiful amp for guitar! In fact I will say it's actually better suited to guitar than bass. Not enough headroom for a live bass rig IMO. Great for recording bass though!

5-0 phonebooth and bulletproof like this.
  7. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

I have two 66 blackface Bassman's (AB165 circuit) that work great for guitar.

geochem1st, Pappy58 and bulletproof like this.
  8. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

I use a 1986 model 50W plexi Rockitt Retro into a 2x12 with M65/H75 Creamback mix. I also have another 2x12 with 30/60 Hellatones mix that I use with another Rockitt Retro 50W but thats a 1987 lead model. Very well made fantastic sounding amps that are affordable in comparison to other plexi clones.

9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Ding Ding, we have a winner!:cheers2:
    20170129_170855.jpg
    BUT soooooooooo worth tking the time to dial it in..
    Hint..drop the bass, peg the mids, and dial in Pres and Treb to taste!:headbanger:

10. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

My '67 Silvertone 1443 with an old Bassman transformer has been my amp since '83 when I bought it from the original owner (who owned the music store that I started at). Used to run it thru a 4-10", now into an open back 2-12".

Most righteous.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Play a tube screamer into the front of old SVT and prepare to load your shorts.

On that note, when Bruce Egnater was called in to service SRV's amps before a Detroit show in the 80's, the Dumble SteelStringSlinger he serviced was a basically a modified SVT. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

12. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The old tuck'n'roll Kustom 200 bass amp.....dime that sucker and prepare to move some air,brother!!!!:headbanger:

13. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Before I got my Peavey Classic 30 I used a study 10 inch bass amp for both, bass and guitar and it served me very well. Very good clean tones and handled pedals very well too.
    They are bullet proof.

bulletproof likes this.
  14. judson

judson Senior Member

back in the day when i read hendrix used 15" bass speaker cabs.....

a red sparkle Kustom tuck and roll cab with 2 x 15' bass speakers with a '72 Ampeg V4 head and a dunlop wah pedal, nothing else......

still have the V4...cab is gone but that sound still rings in my head..

15. 5-0 phonebooth

just snagged a 20+ yr old tank-stopping Peavey TKO 80 (SS 65w 12'' $60) and it does it's basic job well enuf servicing bass / keyboards / etc. but as with all these bass / multi amps it seems you just need to stick something in front to excite the signal and they spring right to life, this TKO is suddenly screaming like an agitated T-Rex and so far all I'm using as a pre is my Micro Cube RX.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Pea...9i60l2j69i59l2j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    bulletproof likes this.
  16. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Supro Thunderbolt: cracking amp for guitar (I believe a certain Mr Hendrix used one way back when) and in the new "plus" version you get to choose 35W Class A / tube rectified for some vintage grind or 60W Class AB / SS rectified for huge headroom and thump when running pedals.

I only have one amp now. :)

bulletproof and 5-0 phonebooth like this.
  17. 5-0 phonebooth

I remember when some magazine actually gave away Jimi's Supro!

bulletproof and tolm like this.
  18. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I'm pretty happy with my 1968 Fender Bassman for guitar. Never tried it with a bass so i'm not sure how that is.

19. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

The original tweed Bassman, 60's BF Bassman and Marshall Super Bass. All kick ass guitar amps!

20. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Hiwatt DR201s were great for guitar use too, especially fully cranked (and especially earlier KT88 versions). Puts Marshall Majors fully in shame. The volume, detail and dynamics is unparalleled.