Basketcase - can you identify this?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by atheos, Jan 23, 2013.

1. atheos

atheos Senior Member

I picked up this guitar today from a guy who claimed it to be a 60's/70's SG guitar. The neck has been broken, and it's been modified many times over and has a real thick coat of spray on it. The serial number is hardly visible, looks like it might be 78783 and the imprint is slightly crooked (just like my old melody maker). I don't see anything on here that leads me to believe that it's vintage other than the fretboard looking very similar to my 65 melody maker (brazilian rosewood), but I don't know what to look for. Anybody have any clue what I might have acquired?
    Here's a link to the pictures.

2. SG John

SG John Senior Member

My guess is an early SG Special. It looks almost what I bought before it turned into the guitar in my avatar. It's an early '62.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Looks like a 62 Special. The pic with the heel isn't the greatest but from what I can see the shape looks like I would expect from a 62 with the stepped heel. Typically, a 62 stepped heel is large and rounded with an oval and almost soft v shape at the top. The serial number (if original) is also in the 1962 range.

Looks like it had a headstock break. Probably why they sprayed it black.

1 person likes this.
  4. atheos

atheos Senior Member

well, my first concern was whether or not it's really vintage, or a reissue. Here's some pics of the case. I think it's too far gone and not worth enough $$ for a complete restore to original. Maybe a professional paint job, and some humbuckers? decision time.

first image
    second image

5. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Not a Reissue, as the logo is consistent with the '50s-early '60s-style.

Like others have said. It's just a completely bastardised, early '60s Special. And, IMHO, not worth the cost of a refin.

6. atheos

atheos Senior Member

John,

can I see more pics of your guitar? I might make this guitar look like yours!

7. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

i think it would be worth a refin if you can find someone that will do it for a descent price and there aren't too many surprises under that paint. That is the gamble though...

1 person likes this.
  8. atheos

atheos Senior Member

It'll be strung lefty too. When the weather gets better, I'll strip it and see what kind of surprises are under there. So far, neck repair and added tailstop (and likely re-drilled bridge too).

9. SG John

SG John Senior Member

Here's a couple of photos. I did a bit of research, and since mine has a five digit serial number, it's most likely a '61.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

5 digit serial numbers went all the way in to early 63. The wrap tail angle changed some time in 62 though when the compensated lightning bar version was introduced. With that wrap tail angle yours would have to be a 61 or 62.

11. atheos

atheos Senior Member

That's for the pics SG John!
    I've firmly decided that I will be restoring my newly acquired SG, and I'll be showing the pictures of your guitar to my luther as the restoration baseline. It won't be restored to exact specs, it won't have all vintage parts, but it will be brought back to life and well cared for. Thanks again for share the pics and information on your guitar! :thumb:

12. SG John

SG John Senior Member

You make want to look at the thread that SG Lou did over at ETSG when he restored this guitar for me. The difference of before and after is staggering. The man has talent to resurrect something that should have been tossed in the trash. There's a lot of useful information here. The thread got mixed up a bit after the forum got restructured.

SG John's 62 SG Special/ FINISHED w/New Pics - SG Guitar Forum

2 people like this.
  13. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

It would be really helpful if you could post some better pics of the neck joint to the body. There is a thread on this sub-forum that helps us all identify all the first decade SGs by differences in neck to body joints. From what your pic show, it is a '62 as others have said. But your case is clearly NOT a first decade SG case. But with a guitar that has changed hands and "been around the block" as much as your guitar has, this means little. (there is also a thread on this sub-forum about cases and years of SGs).

Your SG, whatever year it is, has also already been stripped of its original finish before being "painted" -- or whatever the current finish is. You can tell this, because the mahogany grain is apparent as unevenness in the finish. Had somebody merely sprayed black paint over the original (probably nitro) finish, the grain in the wood would not be so apparent. This is both good and bad, if you want to make a real guitar from it. The good is that the black paint should be easily removed. The bad is that the guitar (even if it is a '62) will never have any collector's value -- especially as it will never have any original electronics or hardware. I hope you didn't pay much for it (indeed, I hope it was given to you for free). If this is the case, the paint should come off easily, and if you don't get much invested in it, it could be one heck of a player for you.

14. numb41

numb41 Junior Member

I was just going to mention SG Lou's work. He can most certainly bring this guitar back. And, yes, it's worth the cost to refurbish. There isn't anything lurking under the finish that would surprise that man.

15. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Gosh, what does a huge job like that cost? It looks like a massive undertaking to me.

16. atheos

atheos Senior Member

I'll do this over the weekend when I can access a better camera.

Well, it certainly wasn't free, but I got more than what was in the picture. The guitar was complete and very playable when I got it. The previous owner installed all brand new parts, new repro-pickguard, new seymour duncan SP series pickups, brand new Gibson Klusons and a new bridge and stop piece. I've since acquired a full wiring harness from a '62 SG special, and I'm on the hunt for an original wraparound. I am fully aware that I will have more money in this guitar than it will be worth once it's restored, and I don't really care. This is going to be a fun project, and I think it will end up being a real nice player when I'm done with it. I got someone lined up for the restoration, I'll be driving it to him in late March. Should have it finished over the summer!

17. atheos

atheos Senior Member

not too sure yet, I was given a "ballpark" of around a grand and I'm going to budget for between 1200-1500. It should look identical to SG John's when it's complete.

18. SG John

SG John Senior Member

That's a very fair price. I forget the exact number, but I know that I paid somewhere in between the low and high for mine. It's one hell of a player now. Worth every penny of the restoration, and saved from the grave.

2 people like this.
  19. atheos

atheos Senior Member

some more progress - body modifications filled and re-drilled, headstock fixed. Next up, remove the rest of the finish and then to paint.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.