Barnaby's LP Scratch Build - Hand Tools Only

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barnaby, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

You're a good brother, Barn.

If my manly muscles in my manly face would allow me to do it, I would cry manly tears of manliness and brotherhood now.

On a serious note, uppermost sentence. :D

2. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Cheers - I'm a cynical bugger as well, but this was all a bit moving for me. Weird. Midlife crisis? :shock:

Cheers! Having heard my brother play the guitar in the past, the hard part will be it NOT sounding like one when he picks it up...

I will do my best to reassert my manliness in my next few guitars. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Thanks man! I hope he appreciates it as much as I appreciate him.

Aww...Christmas manliness to you!

[​IMG]

3. JayDee80

JayDee80 Senior Member

4. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout...:dude:

5. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Member

Wow, Barnaby. I spent half my weekend going through this thread, and I'm amazed. Simply a spectacular result without any electricity. My hat's off you you!

6. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Thanks! It was a huge amount of fun...and definitely easier the second (and third) time around. That's also because I now have better hand tools, of course - and a workbench!

Anyway, welcome to the forum and thank you so much for your kind words - I'm honoured to be the recipient of your first post. :thumb:

7. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

So's his wife with a rolling pin if she finds that when she comes home... :laugh2::laugh2: (Cue in the music Robert Palmer, 'Sneakin Sally through the alley, I said I can't find, nothing wrong with being friends with her some times, she lets me use her car') :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsLz2pvO5N0[/ame]

Regards,

Don

Barnaby likes this.
  8. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

Probably a few more curls of wood laying around than when she's around... :D

Regards,

Don

9. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I will admit that the apartment is...um...differently organized right now. This weekend will actually be my first real chance to spend some serious time with tools for quite a while. I have several builds at this weird halfway point, so it will be nice to get them across the line. :thumb:

Reverend D likes this.
  10. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

Cool B, nice to see an artist at work! :D

Regards,

Don

11. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Member

Nobody would be more deserving than you, I've built a couple of axes, and was always wishing I had an expensive power tool to make it easier, not thinking "How could I do this the hard way?"

12. Asdain

Asdain Senior Member

B,.. i wish i had your wood skills (and tools)!
    i still have no idea how to do the finger joints on the cab (once i eventually finish building the actual amp^^)

13. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Hardly an artist, but definitely ready to get back into building. You're too kind as usual, man. :D

Thanks, dude! For me, I really want to understand the process of building, and I suspect (perhaps unfairly) that power tools can create a kind of barrier between the builder and their work. You make some jigs, you flick some switches...you have less chance to 'connect' with the wood itself. Over time, I will probably try different power tools (I think) in order to see which processes are essential for the 'soul' of the instrument and which can be safely farmed out to the demons of electrickery. All my opinion and subjective judgment, of course, but that's what really counts anyway. :cool:

Heh...I love your amp build. More!!!

There's a recent cab build thread on here that really impressed me. I'd love to have a shot at serious dovetails and joinery, but it's scary stuff...:shock:

14. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I keep adding postscripts to this thread...like an opera singer, I don't seem to know when it's time to leave the stage. :D

Anyway, this is a cool one, I promise. I hadn't mentioned it before, but, at the end of last year, Umangu came through Tokyo. He was rocking out at some Aerosmith gigs. :dude:

Anyway, he stayed one night with us here in the apartment and visited on another. Great guy and awesome player/singer.

Here he is playing my LP build...he had to sleep on that couch, too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and, most awesomely of all, here is the present he made for me. I'm still kind of overwhelmed by it...

[​IMG]

I was thinking of using it on a 'V', but I really don't know. I may frame the board and hang it up as a reminder in my workshop. Whatever happens to it, it's a really amazing thing and I was more touched than I could possibly say.

12 people like this.
  15. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

super neat. i'm glad for both of you.

16. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Cheers! He was a great guest and is a brilliant guy. It's only a pity that he arrived during a really busy time. I had meetings, exams and (of all things) a jazz guitar gig in the middle of it. Wish I could have shown him around Tokyo instead of just hanging out a bit at night after work.

17. JayDee80

JayDee80 Senior Member

Nice story! :)

By the way (second by the way for this evening), what headphones are these? At first glance, they look a bit like my beloved old Stax SR-60, but these would never run out of a Vox headphone amp?

18. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Cheers!

They're just a cheapish pair of JVC HA-S600s. Nothing like the Stax stuff. I use headphones on my small tube amp and am actually thinking of getting a wireless pair so as to have less cables everywhere.

19. JayDee80

JayDee80 Senior Member

Don't do that! :(
    I understand about the cable stuff... But, being on a limited budget (and living in a room with thin walls), I focused a bit on affordable (REALLY affordable) headphones in the last years... So at the moment, I have my Stax SR-60 mostly for classical music (these are the very low-end Stax, you can get them for less than $100 used if you are lucky), some AKGs for when I want to hear what's really going on, and a Sony MDR-CD570 I had for the last 16 years :) The Sony is still the best if you want to relax and hear your music "nicely colored", even a bad recording somehow sounds quite good on these - quite anti-"HiFi" :D
    Ah, I forgot, for everything but the Stax obviously: A nice made-in-somewhere-in-China-headphone amp, a hybrid with an E88CC in the preamp. Got it for about 50€ (and paid some more than that for some good tubes). This thing is really, really great for the money.
    I tried several wireless headphones, but only the $500+ range came even close to my old bastards. And I can't afford these. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. umangu

umangu Senior Member

I've been a hardcore Aerosmith fan for over 12 years now, but I had never seen them live.

Last November and December I made the decision to go and watch them in Japan and have a once in a lifetime experience. I followed them across the country and saw 6 shows. That in itself is quite a story!! (I got to play Joe Perry's guitars on stage during the soundcheck at 100db! FYI Joe was travelling with his tiger strip signature LP, 2 of his 90's black signature LPs and his Jeff Beck Oxblood LP among many other guitars)

During my travels, I met Barnaby and his wonderful wife and basically, talked guitar. It seemed like my whole holiday was a guitar pilgrimage. Barnaby very kindly offered to let me stay with him during my time in Tokyo.

I didn't get to spend much time with him but he took me out for my only Yakitori meal in Japan - something that would've been a lot less fun had I been alone. (Smoke grilled chicken with beer, mmmmmm!)

It was so cool to see all his work first hand (pun not intended) and try out some of his tools, including the 'router' which was surprisingly smooth to use. (Those tools were kept seriously sharp).

I also realised how much Barnaby is 'into' his builds when he spoke so passionately about the woods he uses, difference techniques, tools and future builds. I wish I had half his passion and drive. Instead I have a great deal of patience which means I have a lot of projects sitting around waiting to be completed!

I also had a play of the LP made in this thread. Barnaby pointed out that I was the first person one the message board to actually play the guitar. I pointed out at this was the first guitar I'd played since I'd played Joe Perry's plexi Dan Armstrong a day earlier!

You've all seen the guitar being made from scratch, so there's nothing more I can add to make you understand how much of achievement it was to make it with just hand tools. All I can say is that when I played it, it just felt right in my hands and asked to be played! Felt just like my own LP back home. I distincly remember playing it with the headphones on and I'd look up and see Barnaby was speaking to me and I'd have no idea what he said because I was too busy playing, so I carried on playing!

I only wish I could have played it through a loud tube amp instead of the headphone amp! (BTW, I bought one of those Vox headphones when I got back home and plan to use them with a mini-guitar I'll make to keep in the office).

As my way of thanking Barnaby I had made him a Rosewood (Gibson scale!) fretboard with his name inlaid in it. I'm hoping to see it on a guitar some time soon, and I've hinted that a V would look nice :fingersx:

[​IMG]

Barnaby with the fretboard. I was happy that he was happy!

[​IMG]

The 3 of us

[​IMG]

Ochanomizu, where I saw more Les Pauls than I'd ever seen in my life before!

[​IMG]

7 people like this.