Barnaby's LP Scratch Build - Hand Tools Only

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barnaby, Feb 27, 2011.

1. LC100

LC100 Senior Member

And then there was that router shot putting incident...

fatdaddypreacher and Barnaby like this.
  2. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

wow. i had forgotten how much i miss this thread and having been honored to have been a part of it. ...not to mention how gorgeous JJ turned out. absolutelyl stunning.

thanks for sharing, and am looking forward to the rest of the story.

cheers, friend

3. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

Thanks B, you and me both Buddy. :D

Regards,

Don

4. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

That was giant rollercoaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters! (c) :thumbs:
    And it was so well illustrated...:wow:
    And I demand a sequel! :naughty:

5. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Thanks...you know I'd never have gotten here without you...or the rest of these jokers!

You're the man - get 'er done! :thumb:

OK - but this one will be set in space, as I build a guitar from fragments of asteroids and satellite junk, working with increasing desperation as my air runs out...

...or I could just put up a regular build thread sometime in December. :hmm:

6. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

It's tempting long time! :thumb:
    If you're taking care of asteroid matter acquisition, I'll mail you some Russian space grade nuts and bolts. No silly satellite junk, but mighty USSR ICBM spare parts! :dude:

BTW, what's the next build? Another marvelous LP? A very speshul Tele? :hmm:

7. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Well, the build list looks like this at the moment:

1) Finish Tele 1
    2) PVX Kit (mostly finishing skills practice)
    3) Chambered LP (about half done)
    4) Finish Tele 2 (about 3/4 done)
    5) World domination with army of trained pandas (too cute to shoot!)

The order may change slightly, but that's the rough plan. Next, I have a quilt-top JR and a uke in the mix although becoming the next Overlord of Earth may take up a bit more time than I'd like. :hmm:

8. jonas 335

jonas 335 Senior Member

Oh no! Not another total world domination guy - you've been listening to too much Yngwie...

9. ilovemypaul

ilovemypaul Senior Member

Pandas with kittens as helmets.

10. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Impossible - no such thing as too much Yngwie!!! :dude:

Yessssssssssssssss! :applause:

11. MacG

MacG Member

Yes there is:

[​IMG]

jonas 335, Cap and Barnaby like this.
  12. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

My hero!!! :wow:

13. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

OK...so where did the guitar go? :hmm:

I have three brothers. Two much older and one younger. My second oldest brother is a remarkable guy for all sorts of reasons. I've always loved and admired him tremendously and he has also been very supportive of me whatever I decided to do...

"You want to become a kitten juggler? Good job!"

"Hmm...town cryer and garbage collector...OK. Good for you!"

...actually, now I think about it, he kind of sucks. Oh well.

Nah, just kidding. He's awesome and I adore him. Anyway, unlike most of us, he's relatively well off. This means that he could buy pretty much any electric guitar he wanted, but he never has, instead making do on an acoustic for years. He's always wanted one, but never quite found the right thing, so I decided when I started way back when that this would be his and that it would be something that he would never be able to find elsewhere. I never anticipated that it would be quite as astonishing a journey as it has been to build it, but that's the way things work out sometimes.

For me - and I hope for him - this instrument is much more than a simple guitar. It's the one thing that I can give him that nobody else can. Apart from a kidney, of course, but he's bloody well not getting one of those. :D

In any case, it arrived (the guitar, not my kidney) about an hour ago and he's thrilled. That, ladies and gents, is the end of the saga! :cool:

sgmike, Cpt_Gonzo, Reverend D and 3 others like this.
  14. w666

w666 Senior Member

Excellent! And who knows, maybe now he'll be willing to give you his kindey :)

15. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Hmm...he's about fifteen years older than me, so I suspect his internal organs are not in the best of condition in comparison. I'll settle for a large lump sum and maybe an apartment in Paris. Such generosity is the least I can do. :D

We've been in touch via Skype and he's a happy lad. So am I.

The bottom line is that, at a couple of crucial times in my life, he was there to sort me out. I can never repay the bugger for what he did and what he is to me, but I can give him this to express how much it all means. He's a good brother, as are all of 'em. I'm a lucky guy in the family department.

Sappy time over!

16. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

Cynical as I am, Barnaby, I really enjoyed reading about the relationship between you and your brother. everyone needs someone like that in their lives.

17. fatdaddypreacher

BRAVO! there is a quality about you that presents itself in your posts and threads that is to be admired. how special to not only have the gift of an awesome family, but the wisdom to realize it before it is gone. the way i figure it, you both are better off from this. congratulations to both of you, and i pray that your relationship will grow even stronger.

now that the cat is out of the bag, will he view the thread? that will mean even more to him than it would have had he not received JJ.

anyway, thanks for sharing such a personal testimony. now the adventure we have hand the honor share in is even more special.

tip o' the hat to you, my friend

18. fatdaddypreacher

oh, yeah. maybe now we can get your brother to post a clip of that thing screaming like a tortured monkey.

19. JayDee80

JayDee80 Senior Member

I can only second that. :)
    And that! :thumb:

And still, root beer is not a manly color. :)
    No men who built root beer colored guitars have ever achieved world domination! (Or so I have heard)
    Okay, maybe if you sit these pandas with kittens on their heads on the tops of these mighty USSR ICBMs... Or just have an army of these "half nekkid girlies" that do not exist :D I'd rather shoot the pandas...

20. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

Glad it got there safely B., I knew he'd dig it, its a special instrument and the fact you made it I'm sure means everything to him. Most excellent! :D

Regards,

Don