Barnaby's Hand Tool Tele

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barnaby, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

2. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

So it's been two years since I started this thread, and I finally am getting around to finishing things up. I made several necks and was happy with none of 'em, so put the body away. I pulled it out recently in a cleanup and needed to make some space. I had a bit of extra maple to use up as well, so did myself another neck. This time, things went much more smoothly and quickly - two and a half years of building experience apparently makes a difference. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  3. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

It's been a while... Now you must teach us how to make that skunk stripe tight freehand! :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  4. poro78

poro78 Noble savage Premium Member

Easy-peasy, he has a router plane.

(Pssssst.

The occult secrets of hand tooling have been revealed to me - The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is not 42.
    It's #71.

I know I shouldn't talk about these things.
    If I disappear... You'll know why.)

3 people like this.
  5. VictOr358

VictOr358 Senior Member

I thought it was closer to 69ish... But... Statistical deviation is a biyatch, I say

No prob, Poro, I'll revenge you good =) Mwuahaha, no smileuys

:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  6. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Banned

Its Louter Prane - see. ;)

3 people like this.
  7. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Louter Prane it is! :thumb:

I had to file the sides of the cutter to let it go deep enough, however, as the cheeks are too wide otherwise. Clever people could probably do this in seconds on a grinding wheel, but it took me ages with a file.

8. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

everytime i start to bitch about needing a bigger bandsaw.. you post something like this and make me feel like a whiney little bitch :laugh2:

4 people like this.
  9. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Heh...I remember that photo of you holding your crossed planes. Damn scary looking! I wouldn't arm wrestle you for any money...:shock:

Anyway, on with the build. I drilled the tuner holes, fretted the board and added a few fun details, like dots on the top and side (I apparently solved the problem I had before simply by having two more years of experience with my tools) and a faux walnut plug at the top. No reason for the latter except it's nominally 'period correct', and I could use the practice.

[​IMG]

Then, I put it in the vise and broke out the microplanes à la Freddy G, plus a block plane and Carruth scraper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I made a nut from unbleached camel bone and strung 'er up to see how things were.

[​IMG]

It works! Setup needed and all of that, and the neck - which I carved to 52 spec - is really thick at the moment, but I may actually keep the 'baseball bat' feel. I kind of like it. :hmm:

5 people like this.
  10. Bgetraer

Bgetraer Senior Member

This is excellent!! the grain, the hardware, the pick guard all look perfect! I love telecasters, and have seen/played a few vintage ones, and this one looks top notch :thumb:

benjy getraer

1 person likes this.
  11. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Banned

OMG. Just look at the mess on your bench - tools left lying around and shavings all-over the place. You wait till the wife gets home. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

This is a thing of purist hand blistering beauty and should be the cover of a luthier coffee table picture book...

[​IMG]

As always Barnaby thanks for what you do and for sharing with us.

6 people like this.
  13. poro78

Hmm... I have Carruth scraper, router plane, Shinto rasp, planes... What the hell has happened to me? :shock:
    (Two years ago I had only couple of knives, screwdrivers and a roll of duct tape.)

So... microplanes, eh? :hmm:

3 people like this.
  14. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Cheers!

It will get a butterscotch finish and a relic job just for fun. I won't go over the top, but just do a little to see how it feels to try this sort of work. I've never reliced a guitar before, so am really curious as to whether it is worthwhile.

I figure the only way to find out is by doing it firsthand. :thumb:

My plan is to tell her that I've moved to the Hilton. Sure, it'll cost me $200 a night, but at least I won't have to put my tools away...:naughty:

You are, as always, too kind. Just a slucky shot of my decidedly average work - I am always very much in the shadow of the talented builders here. :bowdown

That's the next step down the road! :cool:

You have been corrupted. :dude:

1 person likes this.
  15. poro78

Maybe it's not too late yet... Maybe I can just locate the corruption and...

[​IMG]

16. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

That only works with ex-girlfriends, I've found...:cool:

17. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

So now it's finishing time for this one. I have to take precautions due to the Tokyo humidity and it's also my first time to work with HVLP. Steep learning curve!

I found that I can put the unit out on my balcony and it sounds like just another of the million aircon units going in summer, whereas, if I run it inside the apartment, it's incredibly loud. I have covered a corner in plastic sheeting and there are windows each side. What I do is run the aircon to dry out the air, then turn it off, spray, and open up the windows to clear things out. I keep the room sealed off from the rest of the apartment too, and wear a serious mask and gloves when in there.

A spray booth is what I want, of course, but it's impossible right now.

I'm laying down translucent white first (I used Mixol #25 in clear lacquer), then I'll go over it with ambered lacquer for a butterscotch effect. I won't bother with masking off the pickuard and bridge areas for the vintage effect, as this isn't really meant to be much of a relic. Just a few dents and things...if even that. I'll keep it as subtle as I can.

[​IMG]

There's another coat of the white to go to even up a few places, then amber for the body and neck, before finishing with clear.

18. raythewrench

raythewrench Member

Barnaby long time lurker ,it took me 3.5 hours to read the story of the shark
    I had to sign up to follow this build ,your work is inspiring ,may I
    Ask tounge in cheek " will this tele be considered MIJ " cheers mate.

19. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

:laugh2:

Absolutely! All my guitars are MIJ. :cool:

20. poro78

Four letters.
    MILF.

That's what my guitars are, Made In Lovely Finland. :D

2 people like this.