Band Saw HP question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kfowler8, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

If I want to be able to resaw boards, what's the minimum amount of HP I should be looking for in a band saw?

My 1980s 12" Craftsman has just about reached the end of it's useful life. It bogs down like crazy even on 3/4" cuts. It's about time for a serious upgrade.

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

I have a Grizzly 17" band saw with a 2 HP motor. It does the job well, I wouldnt want to go less HP than that. I can resaw hard maple top with an 8" deep cut fairly well. If it was any less than 2 HP I think that cut would be really difficult to make cleanly.

I may bump that up to 3 HP at some point if some extra money falls my way...

kfowler8 likes this.
  3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

I've got a Laguna 14BX with 2.5HP, it only starts to slow down a bit when I resaw something excessively wide or tough. It takes normal 8-ish inch pieces without any hint of struggle.

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

No doubt 1980 was a long time ago...
    But check your blade.
    Recently I worked with a mitre saw that was going really bad and even smoking with 2x8's.
    The owner changed the blade and it was like a new saw.
    Just a thought.

5. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

I have a 12" Craftsman band saw and noticed a huge difference in cutting maple after I sharpened the blade with a diamond card. Tedious work, but well worth the effort. Before my cuts were black and smoking and the saw struggled to get through, but after sharpening the cuts were clean and the saw "cut like butter."

I could have simply replaced the blade, but I am cheap and wanted to give sharpening a try. Left the blade on the saw and marked my starting point with a sharpie. Went after each tooth with the card, 4 strokes each. rotating the blade until the mark came back around. Did this twice, once on the 300 grit and another with the 600. Worked like a charm. :thumb:

dickjonesify likes this.
  6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Yeah the blade definitely needs to be replaced and a new one would certainly make a difference. I replaced it a couple of years ago. It's still got a pretty under powered motor with some pretty crappy bearing guides.

7. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Since I deal with my share of electric motors.... pump motors mostly. Keep in mind that a whole lot of motors out there say X horsepower, but ain't. Better to go by plate amperage, or just get a quality motor. Dayton (W.W.Grainger) motors seem to be ok

dickjonesify and kfowler8 like this.
  8. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Maybe all you need is a different pully. Slow the saw down some, mo' torquey situation.

9. w666

w666 Senior Member

Ditto to all of the above, however, first spring for a Timber Wolf 3/4" 3 TPI blade...then make sure that your setup, tension, etc. are all in order. Slower is better for resawing. Finally, use a "point block" style fence for better control of the cut and to minimize binding. Check out the links below (or google around...there are hundreds of useful pages in the ether):

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bandsaw-resawing-tips.html

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodnews/november_2006/employeecont_nov06.html

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-21314-bandsaw-jigs