Balanced Tension strings... experience

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5F6-A, Mar 4, 2018.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I have recently moved from my regular NYXL 1046 set to the recently made available 1046 Balance Tension set. I'm very happy with the result. Sound wise it made no discernible difference. However, I'm loving the fact that all strings behave similarly in terms of my picking hand. The fretting hand is happier too but I just love the new feel I have now. It feels as if I have better control of my playing. Am I imagining things or is this the overall consensus? I can see that some people who are used to their regular mismatched sets might find the BT set very disconcerting but me? I'm loving them!

2. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I use their standard EXL110BT (balanced). Not sure if they are all that great, but have a somewhat different feel. I have a standard set of 10-46 EB Slinkys on deck

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Yes, the feel is slightly different. Do you like them then?

4. NorlinBlackBeauty

Sure, they are fine. I just am undecided if they make a significant difference as their description indicate. The effect is rather subtle. That is why I got a standard Slinky 10-46 sett to try to compare.

I know in the acoustic world, balanced are not very popular. I think the notion is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The tone of an acoustic has more to do with string tension versus the top bracing. I use standard sets on all of my acoustics.

An electric is not dependent on that fine balance of designed tension.

5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

This is my approach.
    Fender types in std tuning --> 1046 BT
    Tele in open G tuning --> 1152 NOT BT!

Acoustic seems to be perfectly happy with NOT BT.

6. NorlinBlackBeauty

The overall tension with BT is less than a standard set. I assume you have looked at the tension specs on D'Addario site?

I'll be putting the 10-46 Slinkys on this week. I'll post up any observations here.

5F6-A likes this.
  7. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Great!!

8. NorlinBlackBeauty

Well then ... I'm quite surprised.

I really prefer the fatter sound and feel of the Regular Slinky A and D strings. They are .036 and .026 versus .034 and .024 in the EXL110BT set. The B string at .0135 in the EXL110BT makes little or no real difference.

I tore into Led Zeppelin - The Rover. That was the cincher - no comparison. The EXL110BT just did not have the balls to pull that riff off compared to the Regular Slinkys.