Baked Maple VS Rosewood

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by JakeBluesRocker, Nov 27, 2011.

1. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf61M3lBraY&feature=relmfu]Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom Guitars - Baked Maple Vs Rosewood - YouTube[/ame]

2. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Senior Member

I have no problem with the baked Maple boards. I really want one of those guitars. The biggest problem is deciding which color. They sound amazing, imo. :slash:

3. pred1993

pred1993 Member

Another great vid from Chappers and Andertons. :thumb: I sat down with a sandwich and a cup of coffee and enjoyed every bit of it. :dude:

And regarding Baked maple vs. Rosewood; I don't mind Baked Maple, but it's definently noticeably different (looks-wise), I haven't played one yet though, so I cannot say anything about the feel.

Oh and btw, does anyone know whether they are increasing the price on "new"(-ish) Rosewood fretboarded guitars? Because I noticed that the 2008 standards with rosewood fretboards suddenly are about 300$ more expensive than when I bought mine a few months ago (and I know they weren't that expensive last time I popped in, which was like a month ago). :hmm:

PS. Owner of a lonely heart FTW! :D

4. jwlespaul

jwlespaul Member

Andertons is the place to go. So professional but yet so friendly. A couple of years ago I had a few problems with a guitar I got from there and I posted about my problems on a forum. Lee Anderton ("The Captain") signed up to the forum and got in contact with me personally and asked if he could help with my problems. He invited me in to help me get my problems sorted or choose a new guitar. There aren't many shops I know of who would go to that level to make sure a customer is happy. Lee and his team of people are just fantastic.

I have baked maple on my Studio Faded. As for the tone, well its my first LP so I have nothing to compare with however it certainly sounds like a Les Paul :laugh2::laugh2:.

pred1993 likes this.
  5. legend

legend Senior Member

I have had a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom Baked maple board. It felt ok and sounded good. I just didnt like the look of it. It was a darker board.

6. legend

legend Senior Member

I think if you can hold out Gibson will have rosewood and ebony back in prodution!!!!!

M.C.J. and irocdave12 like this.
  7. themightyjaymoe

themightyjaymoe Senior Member

I visit chapper's youtube page at least once a week. Super entertaining.

"I'm from the department of American trees!" --That gave me a good laugh. The sword was a nice touch as well.

SteveGangi and espdeangibson like this.
  8. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

Rob Chapman is one of the best things on youtube

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  9. joesatch

joesatch Senior Member

They're wrong. Not Chambered guys. Weight relieved. Big difference. Great review otherwise. I like the natural. It makes sense with the fretboard (maple top maple board)

10. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

I never really bought into all the talk about how a fretboard makes a difference in tone, until now. Damn it. One more thing to worry about....

11. Luckynumber3

Luckynumber3 Senior Member

Cool, I thought that Chapper's guitar was an ebonty one facing a maple board one until he told me, then he compared the oiled maple vs ebony one and they looked super close.

It is funny that they say they can hear a noticeable difference and brightness in the room, and you can hear it on the audio too. Of course there are other factors, but it does seem to be the fretboard. Maybe all the peoplewho were saying that it would make zero difference or that I was dumb for thinking it would will watch this.

I actually like the new brighter sound.

12. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

I have to eat my "baked maple sucks" words. We were at GC last weekend and I got the chance to play a bunch of new LP's with it. They were all just as dark or darker than rosewood and they sounded and played fine.

13. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Whats to compare between to completly different woodS?

Spaceacex likes this.
  14. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Well Chappers my ass and call me a baked maple honey!

I never really payed attention to my guitars fretboards in the past, but now this has opened my eyes. And it has opened my eyes to what? There is a difference, but that difference won't really hurt you and a baked maple fretboard may be easier to play on. But... my new Les Paul Studio is coming with an Obeche fretboard, so I wonder what kind of difference that will be?????

15. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Faking rosewood with baked maple?? WTF Henry loser!?

16. HRC

HRC Senior Member

I tried to watch the video but the one guitar was so far out of tune I had to stop... :laugh2:

17. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

Well, I've gotta say those Classic Customs are dynamite, but then again, Rob Chappers could make my old toothbrush sound good. And you can definitely hear a difference between the rosewood & baked maple, but I don't think one is better than the other, nor do I think either one would be a big difference maker as far as tone is concerned, at least to me (but maybe I'm being naive). Once again, it's all about personal preference. Speaking of that, I wish these came with a 50s neck instead of the slim taper. Oh well, there are plenty other models to choose from.

18. Nik

Nik Senior Member

And they come in 5 colours, not four. There's the WR too.
    Great video, never came across that channel before.

19. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Senior Member

This is the first time I've seen the Creme. I really like it. :thumb:

20. legend

legend Senior Member

Ive had 40 plus Gibson Les Pauls and they ALL sounded different when you do a A-B comparision. I'm not trying to be a hater butt they have to keep the guitars selling and are forced to use this product. It just sucks for us, like I said I had one and returned it. I just wish they could get back to the Ebony/rosewood. It sounds like they are currently stopping production of the Custom shops due to the fact they dont have the product to make them.