Bad Cat Unleash - No Sound

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by NYC LP player, May 8, 2014.

1. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Senior Member

Was having a great day till this happened. Anyone have this experience?

Turns on
    Fan runs
    Lights blinks like its getting signal
    No sound

Checked amp/guitar/cables and all run without the Unleash. No smoke, smell, or anything. Just didnt work anymore after a break.

Of course it happens when I have a performance Saturday and a new amp that was loving it.

Emailed BC and will call in the morning.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Standby switch??

Sorry, got nothing really.

3. sean413

sean413 Senior Member

Had the same problem... Turns out the power amp blew up on my unleash. Have you ever at all plugged it into a cab while it was on? If so then that's what happen it's super common with them they fixed mine for free but said if it happens again then it's like $40 or something for the parts

1 person likes this.
  4. NYC LP player

I always make sure everything is connected before turning the BC on and then the amp. I also use a high quality coupler for the rare times I need one.

BC said I will have to send it in. I am going to splurge on FedEx as I can't get "my sound" out of my SIBLY without it. Even the HumBJ (Humboldt BJr) reall

[​IMG]

This would be ear damaging from 3-4ft away and police response worthy in my apartment setting.

5. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

i have the same story same results

1 person likes this.
  6. NYC LP player

Honestly if this is the Achilles heel of this thing should they put some sort of safety device in it.

Mine has never been unhooked when turned on and I am super careful since it is super expensive.

6 people like this.
  7. ant_riv

ant_riv Senior Member

Wow, first I've heard of this problem.

I'm sorry it happened to you, but thanks for sharing.

I really want one, but like you said, it's pretty expensive and so I haven't been able to get one yet.

Did they say they would get it back to you in time for your gig?

8. lowmach

lowmach Senior Member

Sorry this happened. Let us know how it turns out. From the things I have read here and tgp it sounds like BC handles services issues well.

I bought one recently from a forum member and I really like it, only gripe is no bypass option. I need a foot switch for mine as well.

Best of luck.
    Cheers
    -low

9. NYC LP player

Yep BC has been great so far they and mailed it out a few days ago. UPS ground with $500 in insurance in a larger box than needed was $30 so I am hoping this is a one time thing.

Maybe they will add some extra unicorn dust while they are at it.

10. NYC LP player

Well this is not going well

- BC received 9am on 5/15 at a cost of $30 with proper insurance...sent back 5/30...I was told it would be a quick turnaround

- no communication till it was sent back then I got an email - fine...whatever

- no details as to what went wrong....always was hooked up soooooo yeah

- shipped back and requires signature so I had to take a day off of work....understandable

- address was written wrong so didnt show till 5pm when FedEx called asking why I dont answer my buzzer

- shipped back WITHOUT MY F#%KING CABLES

This box better outlive me when its finally up an running. Going to go to GC as I cant wait another week for a speakon cable.

They seem like nice guys and I understand shizzle happens....just annoying.

11. Curlymaple

Curlymaple Senior Member

^^^
    Exactly the same thing happen on my #19, all of a sudden nada, just audible fan sound!
    They seem very nice over the phone and got my RA# within minutes tho. I also ask if they can add/install the Speakon/Nuetrik connectors and was told a okay free of charge. I just hope the turn around is fairly quick although it would have been a week this coming Monday 6/9 at their possession, will see?!:hmm:

12. GuitarGuy503

GuitarGuy503 Senior Member

I didn't have such a great experience either. I bought an Unleash from a MLP Vendor and had to send it to BC because the input trem light wouldn't light up. Needless to say that I sent it back to BC for repair on their dime. I was happy with the end result but there was a big lack of communication overall and John was difficult to get ahold of.

13. NYC LP player

I went out and bought cables as I couldnt wait. BC runs as it did and it is an awesome piece of gear but now I worry. I was never told what went wrong and I didnt do anything so it has me a bit concerned for down the road.

That said besides the cable opps and the longer than conveyed repair time they fix it and all it cost me was the $30 to get it to them.

If I am being honest they have me by the balls since my #1 amp is now a 10watter with cabling a speaker capacity to go to 100w. If it broke again and they said I had to pay for it and the cost wasnt insane I dont know if I could do anything about it as it is now an integral part of my setup and tone as an apartment player who occasionally plays in front of a small crowd....and dreams of playing my local indoor beer garden.

This is my Royal Albert Hall
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. GuitarGuy503

You got one of the first ones didn't you? I did to and when I returned the one for the input trem light they also had to did some upgrades because there were some issue(s) with the first ones.

15. NYC LP player

Nope...got mine early 2014....black version....I think number ninety something straight from a quality dealer

16. GuitarGuy503

I'm surprised to hear that. Perhaps you just had a bit of bad luck then originally. :fingersx: I've had mine for probably a year and half now and so far so good (since it got repaired upon getting from vendor originally).

17. NYC LP player

I mean these are Randy/Phaez watts soooooo that could be it

18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Senior Member

I keep reading about Unleashes blowing up. It can't all be folks doing something wrong. Hope you have better luck. Btw, they do have you by the nuts b/c no other device out there does what it does.

Solution: Get that big, badass Marshall Major you've been wanting and run a real attenuator. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. NYC LP player

If I am being honest I have been looking at Metro Amp 10,000 Series 100w Superbass.....you know....for the apartment

20. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Senior Member

Hah, that gets my vote. Do it!!! You'll be the envy of all. :dude: