Back to Building soon! Looking for some accountability ;)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dickjonesify, Nov 27, 2017.

1. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Well, after several years of riding out the success of one whole completed build, I'm finally itching to build again. I've spent way too much time over at TGP talking about pedals, lately. I've finally been poking my head around here again looking for inspiration.

First, confession time. My basement is... not up to snuff at the moment. Getting cleaned up and reorganized will be step 1. Here are some horrifying pics for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least I have a space for this stuff but I know, it's scary down there :lol:

I've got two builds that have been in process for years now. I want to get back on them. Especially the SG. It was going to be a Junior, then a Junior Special or maybe a Classic... we'll see.

[​IMG]

Tried routing this freehand :rolleyes: Just one of the few things I need to fix up...

[​IMG]

That body is one piece Mahogany that I found labeled as scrap for $12! :applause:
    I also have the twin from my original Junior build. Somehow I ruined the old neck, I honestly can't remember what happened to it at the moment. But I picked up some scraps of Mahogany just big enough for a new 3-piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fretboards have been fretted for a long time. Both of these builds just need a neck carve, some cleanup work, hide glue and then a finish put on them. Hopefully I can get them ready for an early spring to shoot lacquer. The climate here in Missouri is not good most of the year haha.

Updates will be slow but I wanted to get this ball rolling. Wish me luck!

2. dickjonesify

Here's my one completed build. Such a labor of love and a ridiculous amount of mistakes.
    Here's my build thread.

[​IMG]

pinefd likes this.
  3. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

Glad to see you're at it again! I really enjoyed your first build back then, and it turned out great. These are looking great too.

dickjonesify likes this.
  4. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

I was just checking out your other thread. Awesome work and I can relate to the learning experiences. Get those other two finished up! I'm in the exact same stage as you - life gets busy and projects get on the backburner. There is never a better time than now. Keep posting updates!

dickjonesify likes this.
  5. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

Let me be the 1st to give you a like on your new adventure Dan. I'm sure those 2 guitars will finish up nicely. Seems like a long time ago I was following your other thread. Wait! It was a long time ago.:hmm: Where does the time go? :shock:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    dickjonesify likes this.
  6. dickjonesify

Thanks. This is a long time coming.

Preach! Haha. I have a limited amount of "free" time but I'll do as close to now as I can ;)

Seriously. I only had one child when I started the last one. Now my youngest is getting close to 7 years old :shock:

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I see sawdust on the floor, so it all looks fine to me! It would be worse if it was the most pristinely clean area and showed no sign of work. A working tool is a happy tool!

dickjonesify likes this.
  8. beuford23

beuford23 Senior Member

Hot damn, welcome back budz!

dickjonesify likes this.
  9. dickjonesify

[​IMG]

beuford23 likes this.
  10. GreaseBox

GreaseBox V.I.P. Member

11. dickjonesify

Did some cleaning downstairs today in preparation. Man, it felt good. I also fixed several broken things today. So manly ;)

More pics of stuff I have to build with! I had already made some pickguards.

[​IMG]

The DC is using the Stewmac fake tortoise stuff. Love it

[​IMG]

I also still have a roughly cut out neck from a solid piece of Mahogany. Haven't touched it in years. Still looks nice and straight. I also still have the other half of the Mahogany that made up the SG body. It's a little thinner, though, about 1 1/4". Maybe I'll add a maple cap to that build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jkes01 and nuance97 like this.
  12. dickjonesify

The DC's neck is 3-piece Mahogany from some scraps I rescued from the trash at a job site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The seams are pretty darn good

[​IMG]

The SG's neck is 1-piece. I have no recollection of where I got the Mahogany for the two 1-piece necks... Hmm...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The SG also has my first attempt at nibs. I scraped them to shape with moderate success.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also thrilled about where I left off with the neck joint. It's a super good fit. My best yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nuance97 likes this.
  13. dickjonesify

Progress this weekend! Not with building per se... but with cleaning! Which started with replacing my shop vac’s broken switch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Better!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should be ready for some organized chaos :cool:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    nuance97 and paulmarr like this.
  14. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

Your workspace isn't bad at all! I can see most of the floor and most of every bench and work surface you've got, which makes you a bit of a neatnik!

My shop...I know there's a floor under there somewhere....

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to cook up next.

dickjonesify likes this.
  15. dickjonesify

Looking for opinions:

I’m trying to proceed. Should I glue the necks in or carve them first?

So far, I’ve only carved first. Any benefits either way?

16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

dickjonesify likes this.
  17. dickjonesify

Skyjerk likes this.
  18. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

IMO it’s a lot easier to carve the neck before gluing it into the body at least to a close approximation of the final dimensions. You can easily fine tune it after its glued in, and you get some strings on it. It can be done either way though.

dickjonesify likes this.
  19. dickjonesify

I could see that. The only benefit I kind of see to carving afterward is it might be easier to clamp things while they are still squared off :hmm:

On that note, what about fretboard glueing? I have only ever carved the neck before glueing the fretboard which made glueing more difficult. That, I may change this time.

20. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

Yeah...it’s just kinda unwieldy carving a neck with this big ass body all in the way lol!

I personally carved necks before gluing fretboards too, but I can see where it could be easier to glue the boards on before carving.