B9 / C9 / Key9 - Which One?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by drew365, Aug 10, 2017.

1. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I want to get one of these to just add a little flavor to certain songs when I playing rhythm behind the other guitarist. We're mainly a cover band, leaning towards heavier high energy type of songs, mixed with a few originals. One example of a song that needs it is SRV's "Crossfire".
    Anyone have experience using any of these pedals in a live band situation?

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I'm in this for the info as well. It would be awesome to sneak a Deep Purple tune into the setlist. I also wanted to cover Pump It Up by Elvis Costello, and there is no doing that one without the awesome organ toanz.

3. freak

freak Senior Member

i know one of them (i think the first) has a tone specifically for deep purple. don't remember the name of the tone, but it is obvious when you see it.
    iirc (i had one for a bit) the don't track well on bends, but playing chords they are wonderful.
    Never used one in a band situation, but heard others who did, and they sound good.

4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I'm leaning towards getting a C9, which seems like it's the mid point in the range of tones that the three pedals offer.

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I had a B9 for a short while and sold it. Back then the C9 was just newly released, I don't think the Key9 was even available yet, and neither was the Synth9. I was really looking for a Synth sound and was hoping I could achieve it with the B9 (the POG seemed too expensive and complicated to me). I could never get the B9 to work for what I wanted. Most irritating to me was that the B9 generated an Organ 'click' sound for every note that you pick, that cannot be turned off.

Today the new Synth9 would probably do what I wanted to do, but I found a way to create a Synth like sound using the Zoom MS-70CDR, and later with my AX8, so I left it at that, given how expensive each of the EHX 9-series pedals are.

If you are trying to achieve a specific organ/keyboard sound, you would do well to study the sounds provided by each pedal and buy the correct one (information is available on EHX's website). The C9 has a sound specific for Deep Purple. The B9 has the organ sound in Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale.

On the positive side, the EHX 9-series pedals do track your guitar playing extremely well, and sustains the note extremely well. With my 'hack' synth solution of using the Zoom MS-70CDR or AX8, I have to use either the Sustainiac pickup on one of my guitars, or a EHX Freeze pedal to achieve the same level of sustain.

On the negative side, I noticed huge tone-suck when the B9 was in my pedal chain. Also if I shared power supply with my other pedals (using a One Spot), the B9 caused hum in the signal chain. The hum goes away if powered with a separate power supply or an isolated power supply like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power.

drew365 and northernguitarguy like this.
  6. carydad

carydad Senior Member

I have a mel9 and B9. B9 longer. I use the B9 for stuff like Lights Out, the little thingy in Slide, some stuff in the chill part in Remedy(crowes) and other flavor stuff like that. The Mel9 is a work in progress. Awesome to add some background stuff for stairway or freebird but I don't play those if I can help it. I play the string part in stuff like World I Know etc. I'll fit it in more as I go. I also cop some cool fill with the pitchfactor. With the "9's" keep in mind that you can mix as much or as little as you want. It's not an all or nothing deal. A little organ in the background can be cool. The Synth9 has my ears on it. Rebel Yell type stuff, and a cars tune here or there. If only they were smaller, cheaper and I had a bigger board.

7. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I bought the C9. I've only had it a few days but so far I'm really impressed with it. It seriously sounds like an organ. It tracks great. I think this is going to be one of those spice pedals that I find a lot of use for. I'd like to get the Key 9 but I'm not sure I need nearly $500 worth of spice.

northernguitarguy and tzd like this.