Axe FX III !!!

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by AllTheSound, Jan 29, 2018.

1. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Senior Member

mdubya, CaptainT and kboman like this.
  2. kboman

kboman Senior Member

That's a crazy amount of I/O! At a glance it looks like they've looked at bit at the Helix for front panel design, probably not a bad thing.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

YIKES!!!!

Looks A LOT like a MOTU product....and the pics of the effects windows looks A LOT like something you'd see in a DAW. It will be interesting to see/hear the initial reviews.

frankv likes this.
  4. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I guess @frankv will be on the waiting list already XD

5. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Go to the bottom of the page: they're launching two new foot controllers too.

kfowler8 likes this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wonder what the price pt will be.

kfowler8 likes this.
  7. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Figures I buy an XL+ last week and this comes out. I thought this may happen given the sale price on the current model. I wonder what it will sale for?

What do you guys think? I'm still under the 15 day evaluation period. Should I send it back and wait for the III? Really don't want to. I'm pretty happy so far. There's nothing on the new one that jumps out at me as something I really need.

I do like the smaller foot controllers. This is something I've been looking for.

frankv and mmd like this.
  8. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Just saw on Facebook a Fractal rep said it would $2,499.

Starts shipping March 1st.

Doesn't look like the new foot controllers will be backwards compatible. That's pretty disappointing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

The Axe you bought is KILLER. I would not worry about upgrading, unless you like to stay ahead of the game. I am two years (round about) with the Helix and I still have so much farther I can go with it.

However, you ARE in that grace period where you COULD "upgrade" and not lose you original investment....in that regard, why not do it? You haven't had the Axe long enough to have it filled with presets/patches yet - right???

mdubya, kfowler8 and cybermgk like this.
  10. cybermgk

Well....... not sure I haven't filled it lol.

frankv likes this.
  11. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Just read some differences. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping it. Off the XL+ sale price it's another $850 plus shipping. That's a pretty big incremental amount. Not to mention the inherent bugs that come with new technology. If the XL+ holds its value like others have it's probably worth waiting a couple of years.

12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

$850 is a BIG leap, lol. That's a used guitar!!!! If it were me, I'd keep it. Staying ahead on tech is not my thing. When I find something I like I use it until it is dead!!!

frankv likes this.
  13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

It is interesting reading some of the responses from the XL+ owners on the Fractal forum. As if the XL+ sounds bad now. If it sounded good yesterday it'll still sound good today. Hell, I can still get a usable tone out of the original Line 6 POD.

The III definitely has some cool features. Huge increase in processing power.

mdubya, frankv and mmd like this.
  14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

LOL, yeah.....I, too, still have and get cool sounds from my old POD Pros. There are some tones that I can ONLY get there. They work in context, and the feel offers something that's familiar and comfortable. It works. It is interesting how that happens though, isn't it?

It's odd, overall, because guitarists tend to be VERY conservative about gear. MOST will agree that electric guitar advancement was perfected in the late 50s or early 60s. Yet, the bunch that have accepted tech as the future are almost like bass players - experimental and always looking forward with their gear and achieving tone in the most efficient way.....

Begs the question....

"Will VINTAGE modelers EVER be desirable and cool?"

I wonder because suddenly there is a pretty MASSIVE price increase/desirability for cassette multi-tracks....

I wonder why???

frankv likes this.
  15. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Just joined the wait list!!!!!

16. cybermgk

I suspect those are the types that HAVE to have the newest. My XL+ does still sound good.

I wonder how much of the processing power will be actually used on models. I suspect, most of it will be for the jump in ability to have multiple routing paths, increased routing etc. THAT is where the III really shines imho. Well, I do like the front interface change. But since, I still see a need for Axe Edit, not sure what help that would be to me. So, for those that really need all those routing options and power, that's the Axe IIs first market.

frankv likes this.
  17. cybermgk

For true? I have a 4 track cassette/mixer banging around somewhere.

18. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

#Enabler :)

Rocco Crocco, frankv and Pwrmac7600 like this.
  19. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Yeah funny how that works. Tech wise you see it some in pedals where certain very obsolete chips are deemed to be more desirable. We've seen a resurgence in some areas. I have an ADA MP-1 that's seen a rise in popularity in recent years. Same with the Marshall JMP-1. Both are excellent units.

I use to owned a Digitech GSP-2101. It was cutting edge at the time. Even those people still like and are popular. It'll be interesting to see how people view the Axe II over the next couple of years.

frankv likes this.
  20. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I mean do I need an AXE III, absolutely not. But I definitely want one! Truth is my XL+ would serve me well for years to come, it sounds great, functions great, zero complaints. BUT the III looks like it's gonna be a monster, and with improved modeling, I can't even imagine what it is going to sound, and feel like. I/O wise, it has way more options than I will ever need, but I am looking at getting one for the new modeling tech, nothing more.
    The price really isn't that bad considering that the II was at that price not to long ago, I was truthfully expecting it to be much more.
    Hopefully I am early on the wait list and can get mine in the first batch in March.

Man this is gonna be a long wait!!!
    I figure I will pick one up, use the evaluation period to see if I like it, and if so keep it, if not return, I figure I can sell my XL and offset a big chunk of the cost.

Liam, frankv and kfowler8 like this.