Awesome Strap for a Heavy Ax

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by gitapik, Dec 13, 2017.

1. gitapik

gitapik Member

My '69 LP was my first great electric. I played nothing but for a decade. I absolutely love this guitar. Plays like a dream and sounds incredible.

But: 'tis a heavy beast! After about 30 to 45 minutes, my shoulder tightens up and it stays that way through to much of the next day. Big bummer, considering how much the guitar means to me.

I've been looking for a solution for awhile. Checked out some stuff and nothing really worked.

Long story short: someone on this site mentioned Nick, over at Leatherhead in Louisville, KY:

http://www.theleatherhead.com/

I called and spoke to him. Seems that he'd patented a new design that a lotta people were really happy about. I ordered a strap.

Got it in the mail a few days ago. I've been playing for hours at a time ever since without even a hint of shoulder pain. Next day I'm feeling just fine.

It's an expensive strap, people. No doubt. But I'm no longer looking for a replacement for my favorite guitar. This means the world to me. Can't even begin to say how happy I am. So the strap is worth every cent spent, in my book.

(btw: I am in no way affiliated with Leatherworks or Nick. I've just found something that really works and want to share it with anyone else who's interested)

Who likes this.
  2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Chuck out Gruv Gear. They make a strap, which I think is called the Solo Strap, which is anazing for a heavy guitar. I have one — it’s primo quality and feels wonderful.

3. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

as seen on oprah in 2005 :hmm: I wonder why we aren't hearing about this guy until now :laugh2:
    [​IMG]

what strap is it? my lp weight 11lbs and I have one of these levy's straps. thw weight of the guitar pulls the strap into my back and the part where the bottom end of the strap loops through gets uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

Dougj and gitapik like this.
  4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

How much is it?

5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Use a wider strap if a guitar is too heavy. Doesn't really matter who made it.

6. dSky

dSky Senior Member

7. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

A good strap makes all the difference.

gitapik likes this.
  8. gitapik

gitapik Member

Ahhh...I had no idea. Cool.

Nick told me he used to make straps that people would say didn't alleviate the pain. So he redesigned it as described in the original post.

9. gitapik

gitapik Member

Tried that with a few. I'm now using them with my other light guitars. Nothing worked with the LP like this one does.

10. gitapik

gitapik Member

$150 basic (no stitching or tooling)

tzd likes this.
  11. CCK

CCK Senior Member

gitapik likes this.
  12. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Gibson Edge Comfort Strap. This is my absolute favorite comfort strap ever. It's every bit of 3/4" thick with padding and leather. Yeah it's a bit much with the tribal/biker motif, but I love it for my heavy LPs. My '76 deluxe and my 2003 standard (with a bigsby) are both over 10lbs. This strap is where it's at for me.

The price? Too much. I've gotten the two that I use off of eBay for $40 +/- each. They're a no-brainer at that price if you can find 'em.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...GpDEgcjrxIt2N46dVgg6wDpIG_jmHI4gaAsY1EALw_wcB

13. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

That's not a bad price.. I own a rattlesnake strap and a cobra strap from AF designs and they ran me about $200 each.

gitapik likes this.
  14. gitapik

gitapik Member

I agree: light on details. I'd already bought a few different straps. Returned a couple of them and the ones I kept are great for my lighter guitars. But, for me (obviously, considering the satisfied customers using other straps who are replying, here), none of them worked with my 10lb LP. Didn't matter how wide, cushioned, or stretchy.

I found out about Nick by searching on this forum. The site didn't say much, so I called him. He told me he'd designed the strap so that the weight was taken off the trapezius muscle and neck area, where my problems always occur.

This guitar means a lot to me. It was a leap of faith on my part. If it didn't work, I was figuring on blowing off the search. Nick seemed like a good guy and he was telling me he had a lot of satisfied customers. So I took the plunge. I found this shot when I searched images. I also know that the strap is cut differently than the others I have:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...3651-The_Leatherhead-Louisville_Kentucky.html

Glad you like the Italia. They do beautiful work.

15. gitapik

gitapik Member

First I've heard of AF. Niiice work. This one looks like a rattler I mistook for a large mesquite branch on a trail I was backpacking on. Must've jumped 20 feet when I heard that rattle:

https://www.snakeskinstraps.com/product-page/western-diamondback-rattlesnake-with-rattles

Yeah...I shelled out over $200 for a beautiful strap from a great maker. Using it with my Silhouette Special, now. Works great. Just not right for the Paul.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    NewDayHappy likes this.
  16. gitapik

gitapik Member

Yep.

I've been playing with this one since Monday, now. Five days. No issues.

17. ktj

ktj Senior Member

I highly recommend the levy's No.1 Stretch strap. it's fantastic. the fact the strap is elastic is amazing as it takes some of the weight off your shoulder.
    I have two - though on is on my sg which is super light in comparison. the strap hasn't lost any of its elasticity, returns right back to the same position and I've had it for at least 4 or 5 years. I discovered it on a similar thread years ago, I've posted about it before, I just couldn't find the thread...otherwise would have directed you two it. there's lots of options.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/levys-2-no.-1-high-tension-stretch-strap

18. gitapik

gitapik Member

A bass player I used to play with swears by these. Glad it's working out for you.

(Just as an aside: the Les Paul is one fantastic guitar)

ktj likes this.
  19. ktj

ktj Senior Member

gltaplk....I love mine (and now fortunate enough to have two)....my Trad Faded...see the sticky thread - is superb. I use the XL stretch strap with it, sits better. that thing can get heavy at times.

gitapik likes this.
  20. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

i use a levy strap as pictured above, has some padding on it making it super comfortable. holds my lp nicely and my sg doesnt dive either with that strap

gitapik likes this.