auto-tuning Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by wiltel24, Nov 25, 2013.

1. wiltel24

wiltel24 Member

How good are those Les Pauls with the "mini-etune" system? Looks cool, great idea, but do they work and are they reliable? Does the guitar have a harder time staying in tune?

1 person likes this.
  2. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

Not sure you will find much love for them here. I tried one of the older Robot SG's and while the guy was doing a demo for me the knob that changes tunings just broke off. I guess that left a bad taste in my mouth. Personally I don't feel a need for auto tuning. I guess if you had to change tunings on stage quickly it would be worthwhile.

One of the things I dig about guitars is that are very few mechanical parts that fail often. I kind of feel like that would change with this sort of technology. I wouldn't feel comfortable gigging with one, but that's just me.

3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Trouble tuning your guitar?
    Playing is gonna be a bitch.

2 people like this.
  4. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

The good news is that it's now a completely self-contained unit, and you can shake it off and replace it with standard tuners easily enough for whatever reason.

The other iterations of this gizmo have been fragile, and Gibson can't repair the first Robots.

So far, they tune to standard pretty well. I don't think the guitar has a harder time staying in tune.

You need to be careful with the alternate tunings it supports (a string gauge too heavy or too light and you'll break either the tuners or the striings), and you need to be aware that many of the alternate tunings will give you some very tight strings and some very loose within the same tuning. Nature of the beast.

1 person likes this.
  5. wiltel24

wiltel24 Member

Just more curious about having a guitar with alternate tunings at the touch of a button.

6. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

buy a set of Grover Locking tuners. Whats so hard about it. I mean, turn the damn things. People need to stop being so lazy.

2 people like this.
  7. wiltel24

wiltel24 Member

I have Schaller's on my LP and they work fine. Really more curious about them (auto-tune system) than I am being lazy about tuning a guitar.

2 people like this.
  8. Username2

Username2 Senior Member

Self tuning guitars actually seem like a good idea in a live situation, or when you want to goof around with 5 tunings an a day without a hassle.

2 people like this.
  9. tzd

tzd Senior Member

If, without the min-etune, you would have just manually tuned your guitar to alternate tunings when you want them, then yes, the min-etune will save you a lot of time.

If you play a lot in alternate tuning to the extent that you need to get your guitars properly set up with the right string gauge and intonation for each tuning, then min-etune will not work for you. A Line 6 Variax will work for this purpose.

The min-etune is a lot less complex than the previous robot system, and is very easy to swap out for normal tuners later.

10. Dharma66

Dharma66 Senior Member

I had the option of wait 3 weeks for delivery, or take a Tribute with miniEtune at the price of the guitar without it.

I decided to take the eTune guitar home rather than wait.

I've had it 6 months now, and I'm completely indifferent to it. It's ok. Doesn't get in my way, doesn't set my world on fire. But I wouldn't pay for it.

1 person likes this.
  11. AngryHatter

[​IMG]

True bypass
    Muted output
    Chromatic and guitar/bass modes
    ***Fully programmable for alternate tunings and temperaments***
    Extreme accuracy: ±.02 cents guaranteed

Yes. The Turbo Tuner comes with a number of built in alternate tunings, and it's easy for the user to add his own. As shipped, it has the following tunings:
    Chromatic
    Guitar (standard 6 string)
    Drop D
    DADGAD
    Open A
    Open D
    Open E
    Open G
    Bass (standard 4 string bass)
    Bass Drop D
    5 String Bass
    Violin (equal temperament)
    Violin (perfect 5ths A4=440 Hz)
    Cello (equal temperament)
    Cello (perfect 5ths A3=220 Hz)
    The turbo tuner comes equipped with three temperaments (equal, just and Pythagorean). The user may easily define up to 12 additional temperaments.

Already have that capability.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dharma66

Dharma66 Senior Member

Not quite the touch of a button, though. You have to wiggle your knobs. Not saying it's hard, or having it done automagically is better, but it's not the same thing.

13. AngryHatter

Pardon me?...it is EXACTLY one button to switch tunings and one button to turn the tuner on or off?

14. AlbionLass

AlbionLass Senior Member

By 'wiggle your knobs' I think he meant turn your machine heads.

1 person likes this.
  15. eggbert

eggbert Senior Member

I think it is all a gimmick designed to sell guitars to first time buyers who might be put-off by the notion of having to keep their guitar in tune. Look, this guitar tunes it's self! I can see where that might be a big selling point for someone who has no notion of tuning.

Maybe if you play in a bunch of different tunings, but even then the benefit seems dubious.

Otherwise, it does not seem really useful, and not something I would want even if it was free. In fact, i'd pay more NOT to have one.

1 person likes this.
  16. Guitar_Zero

Guitar_Zero Senior Member

I would buy one, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a guitar like this though, and it's certainly not high on my priority list, but it would definitely be handy in a gig situation if I was doing a set which relied on a number of different tunings.

Also, it's a handy thing to have around just to practice with. I often find I can't be bothered to learn songs if I have to change the tuning every time I want to play it. I have some guitars permanently tuned to e flat and open G for example, but this gadget would certainly save me time, and it's not practical to have more than one or two guitars sitting around in different tunings.

17. circles

circles Senior Member

I would consider one if I wanted to play with different tunings during a set and not want to carry around extras just for that purpose, or not to switch guitars. So maybe on a second (or third) guitar, but it would be a low priority and would have to be implemented elegantly.

18. wiltel24

wiltel24 Member

It does seem gimmicky. But if someone didn't want to have to buy a few guitars and have them pre-tuned to alternate tunings for live performances, I can see it's merit to some degree. Think Jimmy Page had one of the original robo guitars awhile ago. Had some buttons on the body he could push to change tuning.

19. AngryHatter

Absolutely not.
    Tuning up allows me to interact with the audience. I use it. I revel in it.

20. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The guy asks a simple friggin question about weather the min-e-tune is reliable and if it works well and some of you guys jump all over him, calling him lazy and saying he can't play... nice.

Is your life that shitty that you get joy from fvcking with people?
    Do you do this to feel better about yourselves? I hope it worked.

2 people like this.