August BTOTM

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Sixstring63, Aug 1, 2017.

1. paradice

paradice Senior Member

DotStudio, GBLEV, LenPaul and 3 others like this.
  2. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Haven't done this for a while, been busy. I couldn't get in to the blues bit, but then I think I found a way in. This features one of my favourite harmonic things - Eb in the key of C major, over the F chord, making it a dominant 7th sound, but creating a completely minor melody line. Not quite a blue note to me (maybe it is exactly that) but I like to think of it as a 'Rogue' note instead.
    oh, and some great takes above - i do listen to others before I record - stunning sound Mr Six String.

My Les Paul, into valve pre amp, into Plexi software model, low gain. All one take (but delay added to middle part in DAW.

https://soundcloud.com/albatross-with-wafers/btotm-august

DotStudio, GBLEV, LenPaul and 6 others like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hey Hog. Very musical. I like it.

4. parts

parts Senior Member

Really cool Hogman..creative and loved it..

5. Orange Lester

Orange Lester Senior Member

crazy busy getting my son off to freshman year of college and trying to wear multiple hats in my team...I'm hoping to give this a shot tonight.

6. Sixstring63

Sixstring63 Senior Member

It threw me a bit with the intro. Once I realized where the backing track came in you had some cool ideas going on.

7. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

I hope you are correct paradice. It does seem slower around here lately. I haven't been around here in several days either.

8. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

For me it has a lot to do with being self conscious. I have recorded and posted before but it has been a long time. I have a ton of excuses, very busy at work lately and my wife just got a new puppy and it checks everything out by putting his little razor sharp teeth into everything.

I hope you are correct paradice. It does seem slower around here lately. I haven't been around here in several days either.

9. Orange Lester

I think its a combination of things. I've been buried with work , doing some online lessons, and dealing with some other life stuff.

One of the things that I tried when picking tracks to do was to mix up the styles of tunes to push us all (self included) to explore more than the I IV V Blues in the key of E, and I always included the chord progressions to help speed up the process for less experienced folks. Working on your ear is important, but that adds to the intimidating factor in my opinion. It takes grit to throw a track up on a forum, and we are fortunate that this collection of folks doesn't turn the jams into a pissing contest or a "my ^*^&*^^ is bigger than yours thing".

I also think that, at least for myself, that I need to be doing a better job of pointing out specific aspects of a contribution that I appreciated or really enjoyed. Liking a post is not much encouragement, nor does it provide any opportunity to grow or learn. I'd love to see more people in here, perhaps seeing some additional energy around what we post would help...and inviting folks to reengage with a PM.

For me, I'm working on chordal tone soloing and being mindful to hit the changes with chord tones and strong notes that are missed by sticking to a relative minor or pentatonic approach over the whole track. Really trying to economize with Triad shapes and doing more outside running a "box".

Looking forward to the post for next month. I need to take a stab at this one.

Keep jammin'

James

Sixstring63 likes this.
  10. Orange Lester

11. Orange Lester

Thanks for shaing, Dot. I enjoyed the Phrasing and the harmonics. There was movement in this, and space for the rest of the track to breathe.

12. Orange Lester

Always enjoy listening to your takes. Spot on and tasteful. Maybe I need to go slice open my finger...and give that a try.

-peace

13. Sixstring63

Well put. Nobody is a critic here. Post em up and if you have questions about what you did or didn't do that you're not sure of just ask. If any of us can help we will. It's about progressing and learning, not competing. Mind some of us here like myself have been playing gigs for close to 40 years. You don't gain that knowledge and chops in a week. I still practice everyday just to stay somewhat loose for gigs. When you become comfortable you stop learning.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Eddie 70 and Orange Lester like this.
  14. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

For the last few months I haven't had the chance to do a take. It was my longest dry spell since Kevin started this back in 2013. But man, I have to admit, this wasn't the easiest track to come back to. I found it to be challenging, and a very busy track. It took me awhile until I could start to get a feel for it. But I loved the challenge as this is how we grow musically. At least I hope so. Thanks Sixstring for the very cool track!

https://soundcloud.com/gblev/mlp-august-2017

15. parts

parts Senior Member

Good job GB..Welcome back to the thread that never ends..(hopefully),,

GBLEV likes this.
  16. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Thank you parts, it felt good to get one in that's for sure. Like you, I am surprised that this thread hasn't taken off more than it has. I guess a lot of people who come to this forum like to hang out in certain sub forums because that is their interest. Maybe over time more will venture into the "Guitar Lessons" and see this very unique on going thread. I say "unique" because I have yet to come across anything like it in other places.

Out of everything I've ever come across while looking to improve my playing, nothing has benefited me more than being challenged by the various genera's and key signatures that the BTOM provides. A big thank you goes out to Kevin who started this, and the others who have kept it going.

Eddie 70 and parts like this.
  17. paradice

paradice Senior Member

I like it GBLEV, good to be back eh

GBLEV likes this.
  18. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Thank you paradice.

19. Sixstring63

You had some nice stuff going on with good timing and tone. A few times though the minor chord changes you seemed to stay on a root major scale but other than that you were on track. I know this is a little off the norm than most tracks that have been on here but it is really making people listen and hear the changes. That was the goal. Sometimes just playing a note per change is easier than trying to be busy over the chord changes until you get the feel of the tune. Keep up the good work.

GBLEV likes this.
  20. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback! Now this is what the spirit of this thread was suppose to be about, some good constructive feedback.

I did noticed how it kind of stood out on all my takes when I played them back. I was struggling to get a feel with this track with the changes and all, so I just decided to focus on the beat. It was that first minor key change that kept really throwing me off. So there I just decided to play some descending licks until I could catch up back to the major key again. Then after that I just kind of said the heck with it. This is definitely something I want to try and work on. Thank you again Sixstring.

Sixstring63 likes this.