Ask Grumpy Old Luthier BCRGreg Thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by billy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

Thanks Greg. Isn't the body mahogany on these ? Anyway, the post inserts aren't going anywhere, I countersunk them to get the bridge lower, not because they were coming out.

I'll look into fret leveling. For now I took the string off and I will let it rest for a week or so, then see if the neck moved.

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Hey Greg!!
    I've got this 94 Les Paul Studio coming as a project, It has been at a guitar store in Nashville for about six+ months & was taken as a trade, The previous owner glued the headstock back on & the repair is stable & stays in tune great with .010"s.. Or so I'm told..
    You can tell the break required the truss rod cover to be replaced along with a black tusq nut & the laminate was also bent some, See Pics, I'm not sure what type of glue to try an fill the small area were there was some wood missing at the crack?? Titebond I or Superglue, JB Weld?? I would hope the paint that was used to paint the rear of the headstock was laquer but you never know??
    I used to be a bodyman & sanding & painting along with woodworking etc. kinda run in my line of work untill a few years ago..

Well anyhow I picked this guitar up cheap & other than the headstock break it's pretty fair for being 21 years old..

So what type of glue would you try an get into that small crack/opening before sanding & painting Greg??

Thanks!!
    Angry Gary & The Piss Soaked Socks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SHU

SHU Premium Member

This thread is such a gold mine. I think I'm just going to take some time off, read the whole thread again and take notes.

Thank you for doing this thread, Greg. It must have cost you hours and hours in total.
    It's highly appreciated.

2 people like this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

Didn't do anything positive to let it rest unstrung. Will see a luthier friend with it. Might be able to trade a drawing or something for a fret job.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

NEVER EVER any Crazy Glue on wood. That **** was invented to glue unporous materials.

If the neck is stable and you don't intend to redo the glue job, go with some hard putty like epoxy to fill the surface crack. It's not a mechanical part of the guitar and it won't bend or whatever. It is purely cosmetic as I see it. If you entend to use a transparent color to finish the job, I'd add a red dye to the putty mix.

If it was mine, I'd do it with Epoxy mixed with microlight fairing filler and dye the mix red. Then just sand and polish the area. It's battle scar and I wouldn't mind if it showed, as long as I couldn't feel it with eyes closed. Did you buy the guitar because of your nick ? And can we see the whole thing ?

6. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Without seeing it, no idea. It's a terrible fit.....I wouldn't trust the repair.

1 person likes this.
  7. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Thank YOU for appreciating this.

2 people like this.
  8. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

I use CA glues (crazy glue) often on some specific wood repairs. It much better than wood glues in certain applications.

4 people like this.
  9. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

It's

I can't type for shid.

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

Sorry Greg, I typed through my hat.
    Where would you use Super Glue ? On very dense wood like ebony, maybe rosewood. And only for small surfaces to be joined ?

11. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Greg,

What glue do you use for acoustic guitar bridges? I'm looking at removing and re-glueing mine.

[​IMG]

12. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Hot hide

13. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Thanks!

14. alexdm

alexdm Senior Member

Hi Greg,

can you please tell me how this finish is achieved? Black filler and then some type of oil on top?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks a lot,
    Alex

15. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Greg - I have a 61/63 (who knows....) LP/SG that someone reglued the neck years ago - the repair is very solid ...... but obviously the repairer had never heard of neck angle (makes you wonder a bit about the quality of the repair, but it seems perfectly okay structurally) - I'm wondering if getting one of Bill Callaham's milled steel ABR-1s and having a mm or so milled off the bottom might possibly be a less intrusive option to a neck reset? I like Bill's bridges - they eventually end up on all of my ABR-1 Gibsons, and I guess they'd be strong enough to lose a little bit of depth - any thoughts?

Many Thanks for this wonderful thread,

David

16. xSinner13x

xSinner13x Senior Member

I'm not Greg, But I do know a thing or two about Gibsons. that particular SG, I would believe is Black filler, brown stain, and a couple of coats of clear satin Nitrocellulose lacquer.

17. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

That's a wipe on poly stain. No filler.

18. alexdm

alexdm Senior Member

Thanks a lot to both of you for the info. :)

19. skindley

skindley Premium Member

Except that isn't A Gibson. :naughty:

3 people like this.
  20. alexdm

alexdm Senior Member

Yeah, but he was nice to provide info, did not want to burst his bubble. :)

1 person likes this.