"Art" guitar in progress

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by TVvoodoo, Jul 12, 2013.

1. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Senior Member

Working on something I've been calling the psych-o-caster - inspired by my desire to do an "art" guitar with a face featuring a lot of texture.
    Started with your typical cheap strat body, roughed it up...

[​IMG]

painted white about five coats, and barbequed :slash:

[​IMG]

vectorized Edvard Munch's The Scream, (public domain), with digital magickery, and got some pre-cut sign vinyl printed up.

[​IMG]

Weeded the vinyl, (kept the negative image) laid it down on the front with the WBW guard carefully fitted and carpet taped down

[​IMG]

Got out the dremel and various bits and had at 'er

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cleaned up the crevasses a bit and a lot of small bits of white left on the de-layered pickguard with the wire brush

[​IMG]

Pulled the vinyl off the guard to reveal the top white layer - I should add all dremelling work took nearly three hours, or in shop time, probably four and a half wobbly pops

[​IMG]

masked front and shot black into the cracks, leaving the vinyl on as a mask

[​IMG]

pulled the masks...

[​IMG]

Still need to do some light wetsanding to get rid of some errant black paint where my masking techniques failed me... I'm not sure if I will fill the crevasses or not... it's a bit rough on the forearm bevel, maybe I'll weldbond it level strategically on that part. Anyway, thought some folks here might be interested in this process which I claim full patent on.
    as if anyone else might be deranged enough to try it.

as always much more detail on my projex at my main project thread:
    https://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/tvvoodoos-insanitarium-slight-return.255/

more to come if there's any interest

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

I like it very much. I'd be interested in seeing the finished product.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

That's very cool and it came out great! Very creative way of approaching it. :)

4. Blackie

Blackie Banned

.. cool ..

5. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Wow that looks really damn awesome! More pics as it comes along please!

6. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

very interesting approach.

7. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Bet it'll be a "Screamer"...

8. JTM45

JTM45 Premium Member

As I was scrolling and got to pics 7 and 8, I was scared, then I got to the end and said wow! Very cool man. Lots of work but great result.

9. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

[​IMG]

10. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Senior Member

Thank you for the likes and following this along with me!

After all the beers wore off, I realized I messed up royally by following my carving template too literally and was not thinking ahead. The channels I dremelled into the lower horn and inside horn outside the pickguard looked kind of stupid in my mockups, so I slipped into recovery mode.

two steps forward, one step back. Filled them ugly holes, repainted horn area. The pick guard edge will make for a perfect natural end to the carved artwork along the bottom and inside horn of the PG.

[​IMG]

Also did some logo work - not really yet sure about the "Aaaiiieeee!" graphic, design and fitted to be a "flip" graphic... wearing the guitar, you flip the bottom side up to display the text, which would trails along the "showing" topside, or true bottom. But making these was fun. I think I probably do a digital mockup before laying any artwork on the back.

[​IMG]

Pup covers, could go white or black. I'm thinking white and possibly painting them to blend with the artwork. The pole pieces might end up looking like big teardrops raining down. :hmm:

2 people like this.
  11. Gyroman

Gyroman Senior Member

This is looking really cool!:thumb:

12. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Senior Member

Headstock logo down, and locked. Always a rewarding milestone in any rebranding journey
    [​IMG]

13. barricwiley

barricwiley Senior Member

Great imagination and follow through.
    :applause:

14. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

"Certified Clinically Unsane"?

RichBrew

15. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Senior Member

Yep. Planned that way. In my deranged way of thinking INsane is just not quite sane.
    UNsane would be the opposite of sane. More crazy better LOL.

1 person likes this.
  16. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Senior Member

Last night I spent a whole hour with black and white acrylic paint and a tiny brush, as well as some sharpie action on the front face of the psychocaster.
    Went all inside the cracks etc. The wetsanding process to get rid of black bits ended up depositing a lot of whitish gunk inside the cracks, so I had to take a toothbrush and some mild detergent to clean the channels up, then I found various bits of white crap and other stuff in there that would not brush out or clean up, so I just painted/sharpied over them. As well there were a few black bits on the top, which I covered with white.

One thing I will retract as a "Tip" or method shown previously in this thread, is how I used the razor knife to cut around the guard when I laid the vinyl down. Came back to bite me in the ass, with a fine black hairline that bugged me something fierce.

However, with a liiiiigggghhht touch and a few subtle layers, the scratches are covered and blended in for the most part. I'm not sure how a guy would do that better, or avoid the situation completely but I'm sure someone smarter than me will figure it out someday.

Anyway, got it cleaned up as best I could (pure white is hard!) and dropped four or five-ish coats of clear on the body this morning while the air was still.
    I really wanted to get some down quick while it was clean, and I was sober just to protect the work I had done so far - handling a white guitar in the shop is just way to risky - couple of body shots for y'alls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used ordinary Krylon Acrylic, because all the other stuff was krylon as well, and its one of the few clears I know of that in my experience has real good anti-yellowing resistance. One interesting "happy accident" is that all the texture of the carving inside the cracks gives off a glammy glitter effect reflecting bolts of light back all along the carved routes when the guitar is in motion... a flukey and unexpected feature
    - a closeup...

[​IMG]

Then, when I was playing mockup this afternoon trying to figure out pup covers and knobs, I noticed the pickguard looked sort of stupid on it, because the guitar was all shiny, and the PG was all totally flat.

[​IMG]

Enter my secret weapon. Man, I love that stuff. Dries almost rock hard in half an hour, yet remains somewhat flexible and is tough, sandable and buffable too. Non-toxic (as far as I know), and cleans up or strips off perfectly with simple windex. One day I am going to try to refinish a whole guitar with it, I swear!

[​IMG]

By the looks of the photo above, I'm going to have to drop a bit more with a smaller brush in places. Oh and with the white headstock with the graphics, and the light maple fretboard... thing looks killah! if I do say so myself.

As far as the back graphics go, I was a typical man and didn't want to commit. I'll finish clearing it later after next weeks camping trip, and just lay the waterslides down before the final few clearcoats so I have the option of taking them off if I so choose down the road. I don't mind if they get a bit of wear on them, or if the edges pop a bit under the clear.

Sp8ctre and Torren61 like this.
  17. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Looks f'ing great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

18. SLewis

SLewis Senior Member

Man, that looks awesome!

19. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Looks frikkin sweet, you are setting the standard for us non builders. Very impressive.

20. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Senior Member

Thanks fellas, this one has been so much fun I almost don't want to go camping with the family this week... almost LOL

1 person likes this.