Arent Epiphones underrated?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Koebiguitar, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

Hi there, Great Guru Are you just kidding OR Kind of making a fool out of me?

2. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Go back and read post #15 ;) Paruwi knows Epis, he's is winking at you.

howardlo, Dun Ringill and paruwi like this.
  3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

und 'Gruetzi' in die Schweiz

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    dsmcl77 likes this.
  4. blacai

blacai Member

Owning two FGN(LC20 and LS30) and having played lot of gibson in range 1800-3500€ I would say I notice a clear difference while playing my Epi Standard that costed 300€ used.
    Being honest, I modified to the extreme my Epi: BKN pickups + electronics, bone nut, locking tuners, high quality bridge and tailpiece... Final plain price of my Epi is close to 1000€

That being said, I don't see the +1000€/2000€ difference between my Epi and the gibsons or FGN.

In any case, if you can live with it, buy whatever you feel it plays well and ignore the headstock logo.

5. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I wouldn't call them underrated. I think they're regarded pretty fairly quite honestly.

They can be really good guitars, but let's not forget that so can an awful lot of other budget brands in the same price range. The price bracket that Epiphones reside in is probably the most competitive and cutthroat in the industry. I've played a good share of Epiphones ranging from Special II's to Tributes (no Elitists though) and almost all of them needed some additional fretwork to get them playing at their best. For the price range that's pretty typical. I also thought while the design of the bridge is pretty good, the actual quality of them is kinda meh. I do think the switches are pretty inconsistent, and the jacks need upgrading to Switchcraft ones. Fortunately these upgrades are fairly cheap. The Probuckers are certainly decent for stockers, but they just don't suit my personal tastes. I wish the finishes were applied thinner, and I wish the backs of the guitars were not veneered as to try and hide the fact that they're made from several pieces a lot of the time. I just think that's dishonest. And the headstock shape on their LP's and SG's just doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Gibson counterpart.

Overall they're definitely not up to the standards of the aforementioned Japanese-made FGN's, nor some of the better Gibsons in terms of outright quality. But again for the price you can't reasonably expect them to be. In my experience I'd measure the quality of the Tributes up to something like a modern 400 series LTD, which figures as they're similarly priced. Though you do get a hardshell case included in that price tag as well so while the quality is similar, the Tribute is overall a better value.

Just my honest experience. I think some of Epiphone's design concepts are very cool and are very on-point with what people actually want (It's a shame Gibson doesn't follow that example to the same extent). But I'd be kidding myself if I believed the quality was the same as the more high-end brands.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    djw171 likes this.
  6. paruwi

Epiphones could be way more 'bang for the buck'
    if they don't had to pay their part of King Henry's failures

7. Koebiguitar

OK, Big Boss, I assume, thats a rhetorical question, coming from a Guru Well, anyway its an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-III. Just for the records.

8. Koebiguitar

Oh, and danke vielmool für de Willkommgruess

paruwi likes this.
  9. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

The problem with posting a question like this (and it’s been asked before) on Epiphone forum is, for the most part, all the answers will be positive. Likewise post the same question on the Gibson LP forum and see what answers you get!

Having said that I’ll add my thoughts for what it’s worth. Epiphones are good value, although the prices have got higher and higher over the years. A Tribute plus here in Canada is now close to $1100 CN including taxes. The 2017 Gibson Tribute Gold top come in around $1400CN (with taxes). I’m sure its a personal preference but I just prefer the thinner finish on the Gibson, a solution I’m sure Epiphone could solve easily. Likewise I also prefer the Gibson headstock shape, not that I hate the Epiphone shape like some, but Gibson is my preference. Why Gibson cannot allow the same shape like Fender / Squier who knows (well we do, his name is Henry).

The re-sale / trade value on a Gibson will be greater and the loss less than with the Epiphone also.

I will say though there IS a difference in feel and sound and play ability between the two in SOME cases. The case I can state is the Slash Rosso Corsa. I have the 2013 Gibson model, it is stunning and fantastic to play. Epiphone released a version which retailed here over $1000CN when first released. Sales were not quick (certainly not as quick as the $3k Gibson), so eventually they were reduced. I tried one with the intent to buy (thought it would be nice to have the matching pair), but the play ability and feel were nowhere near the same quality as the Gibson.

That’s my experience. So before the haters start, I’m not hating on Epiphone, I own and play Epiphones.

I own the Bonamssa Firebird I and it is OUTSTANDING.

So do I think Epiphones are underrated..No I think they are rated fairly. I do believe however that there is room for improvement but that is down to the parent company.

tolm likes this.
  10. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

I had the experience of playing a Gibson Zakk Wylde Bulls Eye, and to me my Epiphone version was head and shoulders above it.

Truth is I changed the bridge and pickups in mine, but as a instrument I prefer the Epi.

11. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

...my Korean '01 Epi Standard is simply a rock solid beast.... ( thinner finish, RD-59s and 50's wiring are icing on the cake )

12. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I wholeheartedly agree with that! Got one for my 40th this year and it's simply incredible. Plays as well as my two Gibson's though I'd have to admit the finishing - whilst by no means poor - isn't quite so clean in a couple of places.

That said, I've played a Wildkat that was truely awful - felt plasticky and cheap and wasn't helped by a horrendous setup. Really wanted to love it but was very disappointed by that one.

I've also played a Riviera P93 which was a fantastic guitar. Felt great. Played great. Sounded terrific.

So, I think - as with any manufacturer - there are good and bad ones out there and playing is the only safe way to know.

Underrated? I don't think so. I think most folks who have a little common sense know that modern Epis are good value and good guitars: with the occasional great one. They do seem to try that little bit harder with signature / special editions from my experience, though.

13. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

If it's worth it to you, you can have your fretboard replaned to the 9.5 or 7.25 of a strat.

14. flannelflag

flannelflag Banned

I say let 'em stay "underrated". I picked up my Explorer for $200 and overpaid a little on my LP at $450 but they both play flawlessly. So well, in fact, my Gibson GT gets very little playing time lately. P1010012.JPG

15. ryanmichael95

ryanmichael95 Senior Member

Evidence of this? I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Alarming number of duds? Show me. And I wholeheartedly like Epi's.

kiko likes this.
  16. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Well, I've owned a Standard that had a neck that was wider than the fretboard by about 1mm (about 1/2mm on each side, which I didn't notice until I had owned it for a while). After that I noticed that a lot of Gibsons have that issue. I've also played quite a few in guitar stores that had other issues, both cosmetic and otherwise. Issues that a lot of cork sniffers associate with Epiphone and not Gibson. Maybe my evidence is anecdotal, but I've read enough comments from people about flaws in their Gibson Les Pauls to know that there is a fair amount of inconsistency when it comes to the QC process at Gibson.

paruwi likes this.
  17. paruwi

The 'Quality' of recent Gibsons mostly is discussed in the Gibson section of this board !

[​IMG]

though I show you some pics .....

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg
    2014 R7

1.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg
    2015 ES335 63RI

1.JPG 2.JPG
    2016 LP Std HP

18. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I'm either a Gibson and an Epiphone customer, so I don't give a damn to bash any of the two horses here... but it's a fact that Gibson (especially USA plant) it's letting many turds leaving the factory, probably because the production target@day it's bloody high, so the threshold on the workbench/QC stage has to be pretty low. I've a friend/insider, working for one of the biggest stores in Europe, who showed me the INCREDIBLE amount of RMA they are facing these years for Gibson guitars...and on top of that there are many customers keeping their guitars even with some flaw, for a reason or another. The amount of B-stock it's ridiculous these days. Despite that, the business model they (Gibson) do have with retailers, seems not really damaging the brand, so it's not you or me bashing them because of crappy QC, that it's gonna change a thing.

Said that, finish flaws are not always a factor affecting the quality of the instrument overall, same goes for some perfectly looking guitars that are feeling like turds under the fingers. Just yesterday I had a spin with a PRS, looking like made by God hands, which was feeling totally dead and sterile, with a laughable thin tone.

kiko and paruwi like this.
  19. ryanmichael95

ryanmichael95 Senior Member

I know they have issues with some guitars. But to say an alarming number isn't exactly what comes to my mind. Sorry, but I still call BS.

20. paruwi

Why don't you just go back to the Gibson-section and sing the song of
    Gibson and King Henry over there ?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017