Arent Epiphones underrated?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Koebiguitar, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

Ich just grabbed a Epi Les Paul III. Have already a Burstbucker Pro. I never played a Gibson. But These Epis are just great, the Looks, Sound, electronics, smooth playable! And at these prices, stunning. Paid 550.- ChF for the III and 455.- for the Probucker. Any opinions?

Dun Ringill, scrumm21, rku615 and 2 others like this.
  2. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Are Epiphones underrated? By most guitar players? Absolutely!

I was guilty of that myself. The few Epiphones that I had played in guitar shops prior to 2015 had poor setups, and the stores didn't bother to do setups themselves, so I assumed that the guitars I played were indicative of the overall quality of Epiphones.

And then I played a Tommy Thayer White Lightning Les Paul. Holy Crap, Batman! It was an eye opener for sure!

Epiphones are excellent guitars. Now, are they slightly more inconsistent out of the box than Gibsons? Sure. A lot more inconsistent? No. And the good ones (a majority of the Epis) are really, REALLY good. And if you go up to the high end on the Epiphone line (1960 Tribute Plus, Standard Pro, Custom Pro, etc) you're getting a guitar that is 95% as good as a Gibson. In fact, my Epiphones are so good that I SOLD my Gibson Les Paul Standard because it just wasn't much better than those Epis! (There was hardly a difference at all in tone, and the necks on a couple of my Epis were better than the neck on my Gibson.)

So are Epiphones underrated? You bet they are! But not as much as they used to be. The perception is slowly changing as time goes by (and Gibson keeps jacking up their prices and more and more people try Epiphones as a result).

3. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

All that he has said.

Epiphone are making GREAT guitars.

4. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Epiphones are awesome. My favorite guitarist, Frank Iero, uses Epiphone so I didn't have the Gibson biases a lot of guys have. I've recently found rounder fretboards suit me much better though, so I've gone to Strats.

lakeburst, Tanner, Who and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

My EPI LP P90 GT needed some significant set-up and some mods "out of the box". But even with the cost of those, it ended up being a great guitar for the money. I'll play it any day over my vintage Gibson.

Dun Ringill and Who like this.
  6. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Absolutely!

Most people who rip on Epiphone only do so because they think they are supposed to.

7. Dolebludger

And the same goes for other brands in the Epi price range. One can find a lot of good-playing "player's guitars" way under $1K.

Fuelish, Dun Ringill, Malikon and 2 others like this.
  8. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

very underrated,
    the semi's and hollows Epi are making these days are amaizing

howardlo, Dun Ringill, Who and 2 others like this.
  9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Welcome here @ MyLesPaul forum
    :wave:

What exactly is an 'Epi Les Paul III' :hmm:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  10. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I have owned a lot of Epis (and still do... and have my share of Gibsons too). The bottom end Epis (bolt-on necks) are, predictably, cheap. But they are supposed to be. That's their market niche (they are still very playable though... I have two bolt-on neck LP Specials).

However, any of the set neck solid body Epis (e.g. LP Standards, LP PTPs, LP Customs, Trib+s, celebrity sig models, etc) are excellent quality instruments. With a pickup swap (for those not lucky enough to be equipped with Gibson or some aftermarket pickups from the factory) they an be downright outstanding. The Epi semi-hollows and hollows are fantastic instruments. Those are where Epi really shines. I have an Epi ES-335 Pro (block inlays, in Iced Tea... love it!) and an Epi ES-175 (came stock with Gibson 57 Classics which really shine in the hollow body format). Both are absolutely professional grade instruments (not that the Epi solid bodies aren't). See the "1all's Gear Page" link in my sig line for info on them.

So yes, Epis are underrated. Especially their semi-hollow & hollow bodies.

11. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

The Epi underrated? No
    The Gibby overrated? ...

Dun Ringill, Walt_T, Who and 2 others like this.
  12. Boiller

Boiller Junior Member

I am thoroughly satisfied with my LP Custom 3 pickup, after a nut change (because I'm a scrub that broke the original) and a full setup, it plays very well. IMO where Gibsons might have an advantage is the pickups, but even then I'll upgrade pots and do a 50's wiring before I'll cast the final vote on the stock Epi alnico classics. AFAIK, they are over-waxed to the point it comes out when screwing in or out the poles.

I'm GASing hard for a DC LP jr. tho

13. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

It was after II and before IV me think. :naughty:

He probably wanted to say Ultra III.

[​IMG]

14. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

The correct name is Les Paul Ultra III. What set them apart from "normal" Custom or the well received Pro Burstbuckers are These features:
    1. The so called Chamberd Body quit weight together with the Belly Scharf, Kind of contour body, about one pound of weight. Thats good News for players who, Like me, hate the heavy solid bodies.
    2. Perhaps many Purists claim it a gimmick: the on-board digital tuner integrated in the neck Pickup. Its not only a reliable tuner, but also provides the indication which Pickup combination ist choosen. And here comes to:
    3. A NanoMag called acoustic Pickup at the End of the fretboard lets you go acoustic. And the inerswitch choosen by a tap of one of the potis lets you Click within Split second between all avaiable Pickup combinations.
    4. The surface of the neck's back is matted. Provides a never known (at least for me) expierience of a great smooth playability.
    4. The additional NanoMag could bei isolated, but no, you get two output Jacks which allows you to play NanoMag and/or buckers as individual channels to separate Amps.
    5. A completely separate USB output lets you connect to a Computer, using the provided USB cable with the provided GuitaRig app.
    6. Back of the body a compartment for the batterie for the tuner and 3 Control knobs for the NanoMag are integrated.

Honestly, this Axe needs a Bit more familiarization than the usually Gear. But it Pays off? I got an addict

HeartString and Who like this.
  15. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Hi Koebiguitar and welcome in MLP. :wave:

Hi was joking with Paruwi giving him the answer about the LP III being an "Ultra III".

Seing your answer to Paruwi, and you being new here. You should know that he is the most knowledgeable person here about Epiphone guitars (and guitars made in the Fujigen factory :drool:).

He will also tell you that all the good guitars can come in any colors as long as it's black :D but that's an another story.

Habe ich night Recht, Peter?

16. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

No. They are rated exactly as they should be.

Priced competitively, liked by many, seen as entry level or intermediate instruments by many, rarely seen in the hands of a touring pro (rare relative to the number of units in the hands of guitarists).

They are one of the most popular guitar export brands from the most populace country on the planet.

Underrated, no. Just right, I'd say.

When people stop throwing throwing the phrase "for the price" at the end of sentences that praise a brand....THEN you can start to ponder whether they are under-rated.

Example: "The Epiphone Les Paul is the best guitar you can get....for that price."

As opposed to "A Fujigen guitar from a master craftsman costs less than a Gibson, and is as good a guitar as you can get. At any price."

See the difference?

Campbell, Dun Ringill, djw171 and 2 others like this.
  17. paruwi

Thanks
    :thumb:
    I do know this model - and some others :naughty:

18. paruwi

[​IMG]

19. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I'll take my Epi Elites over a Gibson any day, regardless of price. The quality control and consistency (consistent high quality) is better at the FujiGen factory than with Gibson's American made Les Pauls (there is an alarming number of duds that have come out of Gibson's American factory).

And I love my Chinese and Indonesian made Epis, regardless of price. Hell, my Traditional Pro would have made me happy at twice the price - three times the price, even!

So, YES, I would still say that Epiphone guitars are underrated. And there ARE touring musicians that use them (Matt Heafy from Trivium, Jay Jay French from Twisted Sister, etc).

Malikon likes this.
  20. Dolebludger

Man, it sounds like this Ultra III is really a feature-loaded guitar, and the features include at least some that would be of use to just about any player! If I didn't already have more guitars and gear than I have room for, I'd seriously check one out. I particularly like the "acoustic" pickup and the on-board tuner. Never heard of a player who didn't like an on-board tuner (I have one on my acoustic). What many players don't like is the "auto-tuner" Gibson brought out couple of years ago, because it was often far from accurate, but that is a different thing.

For what it may be worth (probably little), if a player can't find an Epi, PRS SE, or one of the many brands and models in the $500 to $1K range that plays and sounds good to him/her, that player just needs to give it up (or increase practice). Guitars in this class may need a bit of "set up love" (but so may guitars costing much more). After I finished the set up and mod work on my Epi LP, it would be my "go to" over my vintage Gibson.

And I suspect that the scarcity of "A list" touring musicians who use Epis (if there is any scarcity) is that due to the fact that Gibsons are GIVEN to these "A listers" for free.