Area 59

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by clutchcargo, Sep 1, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

Hey guys,
    In your opinion. Would an area 59 bridge and tailpiece be an upgrade over the stock Gibson's that come on the 2014 R8's? The bridge has Faber Germany etched into the underside of it.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Upgrade is a word defined by personal opinion......namely yours.

And I doubt your bridge is stock. Stock Gibson's have Gibson ABR on them

Frogfur and clutchcargo like this.
  3. clutchcargo

Have you ever used the area 59 set up Randall? And if you have, in your opinion, did it improve performance or tone?

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I have used many different ABR bridges. Sometimes (or quite often) people have found the stock Gibson to be better than any other aftermarket.
    But if your bridge says Faber, then it is a Faber bridge and not a stock Gibson. Do a search on what people say about Faber.

To know 'better', you need to know the general tonality of your guitar really. If you have an overly bright guitar already then simply listening to someone who waxes lyrical about a brighter bridge being better is not going to help.

Frogfur, cooljuk and clutchcargo like this.
  5. clutchcargo

I mis spoke or you misunderstood. The bridge on my R8 is stock. But I have a Faber bridge and tailpiece that I was considering on swapping out tontest the tonal differences. I just wanted some feedback on those that may have made this change.

I apologize for the confusion.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Ok, got it.

Bridges have different tonality. The good part is that you can loosen strings and swap that part in very little time. From my knowledge of threads here the Gibson historic is pretty evenly balanced tonally. I know Callaham is bright and Tonepros/Gotoh are darker.
    Faber I think might have a slightly fuller tone than a Gibby......maybe. But the issue is that anyone elses experience simply is comparing the bridge on a different guitar's tone. Then you have the issue of trying to describe something aural in words.

If you have the Faber already, then it is pointless speculating. Swap it out and you'll know.

cooljuk, Sct13 and clutchcargo like this.
  7. clutchcargo

Good advice Randall.

Thank you.

8. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Correct on the Callaham, in fact its the only bridge that had a clearly defined difference to me...brighter... You can also change out saddle materials, nylon for example or softer brass will deaden tone somewhat ...so if you need to tame a very bright guitar....conversely Stainless steel is denser so if your what to brighten a guitar go with that...

I used faber once and while their lock system is excellent, I didn't feel an appreciable difference in its response. Never tried 59....

9. clutchcargo

The Faber bridge has the brass saddles. It's ages along with the tailpiece and long shaft bolts. I bought them about 4 years ago along with a wiring harness that came out of an R9. I think I got them from ZackMicheal. But my
    Memory is fading. I was thinking about swapping them all out tomorrow and see what I get. The only other thing I want to change are the Klusons for grovers. I'm not sure how difficult that will be though. I've never done it before. And of course I want double cream Wizz or Throwback pickups. Had Throwbacks in my old HM and absolutely loved them.

10. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

The Klusons for grovers may be troublesome...as you will need to ream out the headstock holes. Its a very small amount. Look up the specs for each and you'll see what I mean....I have done this but I'm pretty handy with a drill....Which is NOT the recommended way you do this. And remember once its done there is no going back. The original Ferrules will never fit back in....However I was able to try out Klusons on my CC#7 and go back to the Govers....I suppose you could shim the ferrules....

Throwbacks are excellent ....but I like the openness and clarity of the Wizz

clutchcargo likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Fixed..........again. :)

:cheers2:

clutchcargo and Sct13 like this.
  12. bluesky636

bluesky636 Senior Member

I have a nonlocking Faber bridge and locking Faber stop tail along with 2 inch bridge studs with double adjusting nuts (don't think that's the correct term) on my 2014 R8 and much prefer them to the stock bridge and stop tail.

clutchcargo likes this.
  13. clutchcargo

I'll probably have to get someone to do the tuners for me. I don't want to wreck the headstock. Wizz pickups are definitely on my radar. Double creams uncovered. My favorite.

14. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member