Are The New Historic LP's Duds Compared to Earlier Ones?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by sicko, May 18, 2018.

1. sicko

sicko Senior Member

Seems everyone was super excited at the idea of Gibson coming out with these new Brazilian Les Pauls. They were even white hot for a moment last year when supply was low, but I'm seeing them pop up used in record numbers. Are these things duds or what? I haven't had the chance to try one yet, so am relying on the objective opinion of you, a perfect stranger on an internet forum. Anyone else think Brazilian was a last ditch effort to raise cash?

Furthermore, could anyone who's tried both comment on the differences between the newer Braz board Gibby's and the '03 ones?

Beyond the Brazilian ones, it seems like aesthetically Gibson is churning out some nice stuff these days for the most part (with some questionable exceptions), but people seem to not hang onto them for very long. I'm wondering what's up... FWIW my favourite era of CS/Historic is like '98-'07. The early/mid-2000's Yamano stuff in particular was top top notch. The earlier Tom Murphy stuff looked pretty good, but I haven't seen anything good come from him in ages- in fact most of the recent (talking from like '10 onwards roughly) stuff from him has looked horrible.

I know these threads never end well, but I'm starting to believe in the whole "good wood years" thing. What do you think? Where's the wood coming from these days? Is it any good or is it 'green' wood?

There's definitely an intangible quality to guitars that, even if the guitar checks all the boxes and should be a banger on paper, if it's missing you just won't connect with the instrument.

Attached Files:

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

After every CC model was released, a bunch ended up for sale again soon after. It doesn't mean anything. Some people impulse buy, realize the guitar isn' t much different than what they already have, don't want that much money tied up in one guitar (or are afraid to play it because it's worth a small fortune), and then sell it.

rdbear7d, alnico59, Jcolmn and 17 others like this.
  3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

People flip flop them ,,nothing new .... expect magic , get a regular guitar ..imagine that .... BRW doesn't make you a better player ...Only practice does that ..and some god given talent ....

VancoD, blix, Gem23 and 11 others like this.
  4. DanD

DanD Senior Member

One could also consider that after the repurposing fiasco and the follow up termination of many key Custom employees that the newer guitars were built by employees with less experience.

This goes to wood selection as well. Edwin Wilson was the heart of Gibson Custom. With his departure and that of many other senior employees, Phillip Whorton has had a lot of extra responsibilities dumped in his lap.

If you've ever worked in a shop where this type of restructureing has happened you are well aware that quality suffers while the details are being worked out.

Just food for thought.... :hmm:

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

Interesting stuff indeed. But why repurposing fiasco?

bulletproof likes this.
  6. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Every guitar I’ve ever had for sale was a tone monster

7. MonsterTop

MonsterTop Member

I've been buying '59 Reissues since 1996, and have played a number of the guitars built/painted by Murphy in 1994.

The guitars being built today are every bit as good, if not better, than those built back in the 1990s--and much more historically correct as well.

The 2017/18 Brazilians are outstanding guitars--while I've also seen quite a few for sale, it is not indicative of anything. The Brazilian boards are also outstanding quality--dark and smooth. None of the 1990s Historics had it, and as far as I'm concerned, it makes the new Brazilians the best Gibson has ever made.

The Brazilian boards on the 2003 guitars were generally stumpwood, with wild figuring. Not what you typically look for in a Brazilian fingerboard.

I also think Murphy is doing an outstanding job with both his finishing and aging. Again, as far as I'm concerned, he's at the top of his game.

Mapleleaf14, OBLP, chef and 4 others like this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1000

OBLP and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  9. ONEHERO

ONEHERO Member

My turn to stalk....:doh:

It seems that you won’t accept the repurposed fiasco that happened. You can either trust those who are in the know or simply ignore it.
    Instead I see you posing the same questions over and over again :dunno:

bulletproof, mudface and lpthomas like this.
  10. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Well shit....busted that bubble

DanD, RayTorvalds, Gem23 and 4 others like this.
  11. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

I can't vouch for the braz boards, but the true historic plastics have made me an awesome player.

YMMV

mrfett, ballou48, jktxs and 12 others like this.
  12. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

I won’t unless there’s more to the theory than one batch of CC#29s and all the alleged True Historics that ended up as 2017s. I just don’t get it.

The True Historics were quite limited anyway. After that series was done, there was meant to be another series. That turned out to be the Les Paul Standard for 2017 and, with slight changes, for 2018. In addition, there were runs of Murphy painted/aged guitars, dealer exclusives. You know that. Lots of guitar were built, probably a lot more than the limit for TH permitted.

So please explain where exactly what was "repurposed"? Or are you suggesting they did, say, 50 True Historics and then rushed to repurpose the rest as 2017/18 guitars?

What is it that people in the know actually know about this? Looking forward to getting an answer to this. And, as always, I enjoy our conversation here:h5:

PermissionToLand and bulletproof like this.
  13. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

Could end the thread here. Tim nailed it. People like me and many others constantly search for the next new guitar. Buy it, love it, realize I'm playing the same crap on it as I played on the last one or the other ones, and move it along.

14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I try to be more selective because I’m looking for keepers, so it doesn’t matter if they’re new or used. But I have to admit that I appreciate the folks that buy and sell quickly because these guitars are barely used at all. For a lot less than new. Once the honeymoon is over on the market they go.

Doesn’t mean they’re turds, it just means another pretty face showed up and the old one needs to go. I see it as a advantage.:D

BBA489, Geronimo, Gem23 and 5 others like this.
  15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

......................only to buy a..............wait for it..................Harley. :p :D :thumbs:

You drive safe on that Hog Tim. :)

Cheers, Rudi

16. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

For what it's worth, my 2018 Custom Historic is the best Gibson guitar I have owned, out of too many to count.

11top, bulletproof, kingsxman and 3 others like this.
  17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Yup , Very true . Still ,some look for greener grass . And they are already on the other side ... So ,,what's up with that ???? the others just have to have a NGD(or That 1 ,,,IS ,,,The top I've been dying to have) at their house .... It is a great feeling and for those with the $$$ , once the thrill is gone (pun intended ) it's anyone's fortune who's looking to buy ....
    And everyone else selling ,,get screwed ....
    Life ....

If anyone has looked ,,At WW they have a NEW, Aged R0 with a BRW board F/S . Wonder how long it will be before they do a run of TM AGED BRW board gits ??? My bet is not long ,,at all ... Desperate to cash , I think anything is possible ... Might be a great time to do a M2M and find out if they will make it , just like you spec it out . But be prepared to pay out your nose ... among other places :eek2::lol:

bulletproof and mudface like this.
  18. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Damn right. Let someone else take that first hit. Like buying a new car. What do they say after you drive it off the lot?

19. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Not in the slightest.

bulletproof and Curious George like this.
  20. Curious George

Curious George Premium Member

Well- I guess I am completely the opposite of the thread title in that I bought a 2018 with zero intent on keeping it... went on the old ccard... price was right and I could turn it back into the wild and not lose a lot of $$

...I loved it so much, I couldn't part with it. Now I need to figure out how to pay for it lol.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    1all's Pub, BBA489, StudioFan and 9 others like this.