Are Momose Les Pauls a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by free713, Feb 25, 2018.

1. free713

free713 Senior Member

Hi guys
    Am I the only one who has noticed that there hasn't been a new Momose LP for sale in ages? Have they stopped making them and why? Crews on the other hand are making insane amounts of les pauls these days...

2. Jock

Jock Senior Member

I think they make them in batches, if they can sell them they will make them. Perhaps the issue is selling them outside of Japan. I got my two so I am OK.

3. free713

free713 Senior Member

Got two as well...I would think they were in demand as they dont even come up for sale on yahoo japan

4. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Seem to be pretty much the same in spec to the mid-high tier Crews guitars but nearly any Momose I see is different to the last, whereas the Crews just look like a stock-standard Les Paul. I'm aware Deviser owns Bacchus and Momose, but do they own Crews as well?

5. free713

free713 Senior Member

no...but a couple of years ago they made a lot of the crews guitars. now i think Terada makes all crews

6. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

7. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

They are order guitars with a 6/8 month build time. Same with the Bacchus hand made. Probably that the don’t come up for sale that often indicates they are a very well made guitar...

free713 likes this.
  8. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

9. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

Definitely in Demand, even the Bacchus Duke and Master series are very popular, we just ordered both Bacchus and Momose today and it’s confirmed that it’s 6-8 months built time from ordered guitars.
    Funny I ordered a Momose Telecaster from the months build sheet, by the time I emailed about the colour options another Shop in Japan had ordered the guitar!!, got to be quick...

free713 likes this.
  10. bluesriffdev

Do they give the option of having an open book headstock or one like the have in your profile picture? Or for all non-Japanese orders do they give you that headstock by default?

The one in your profile picture is a custom order Momose yeah? I seem to recall seeing it another thread.

11. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

They are Japanese Market only. Except my personal guitars for private use..
    That is an Original series not the Vintage series, same with the Bacchus Hand Made Strats and Telecaster. Probably why the changed the Dukes headstock for international market..

bluesriffdev likes this.
  12. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

Though if Gibson goes under will that change??.

13. bluesriffdev

Probably not. Someone will buy it after it goes into receivership; the brand loyalty is too strong to simply let a company like that fade into obscurity. Maybe briefly, perhaps?

What a shame they don't sell them to domestic companies with the open book headstock. I think it'd be interesting to see if it's actually at all enforceable, seeing as Gibson lost against the guitar brand Vintage very recently for a similar reason. I think the argument Gibson has made is that the open-book headstock is so synonymous with their brand that it's instant brand recognition, and thus trademark. But I think that because there's been so many people to copy it without legal issue over the years, it'd be pretty hard to enforce.

I think once one Japanese company ponies up the courage to do it and potentially face litigation, the rest will follow suit.

nigelthebald and MT-Guitars like this.
  14. Jock

Jock Senior Member

My understanding is that the Momose with the White wood in the headstock are supposed to be for Export only. Others with the standard head stock are for Internal Japan sale only. Although Momose did offer to make me a custom one with the standard ( non white headstock)

bluesriffdev and MT-Guitars like this.
  15. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

Gibson aren’t to bad, Fender on the other hand get very nasty. I know someone who settled out of court for near €50000 for building 5 guitars with the trademarked headstock. I always put in my adds “personal import” of Japanese Market only Guitars.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  16. bluesriffdev

Fender at least allows licensing of parts. Warmoth and All Parts are allowed to manufacture Fender licensed necks and bodies, and as they're licensed to do that, I assume they've either paid a one-off fee or pay a royalty per product produced. It surprises me that someone building 5 guitars with that headstock design would be approached by Fender for that given just how much appearance stratocaster-type designs get in western culture, be it through games, toys or cartoons. I mean, even if everyday people don't know the name, they're certainly familiar with the shape.

Roxy13 likes this.
  17. MT-Guitars

MT-Guitars Member

Fender threaten this Australian Guitar Company even with this Headstock shape...

scott 351 wins and bluesriffdev like this.