Are locking tuners worth it?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by romonster, May 5, 2008.

1. ISOgoldtone

ISOgoldtone Senior Member

Grover makes locking tuners too.

2. Rico

Rico Senior Member

I recently installed Grovers 102C (18:1) and I had to use a tapered reamer to widen the hole for the base of the grover tuner. The screw hole for the grovers line up with the bottom hole of the stock tuners. I also checked and found that I can go back to the stock tuners as the hole on the front weren't affected. The Grover bushing and the stock bushing are the same size. Except the Grovers screw into the tuners base, that's why they're wider at the base.

3. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

You can use it any time. Just a dab right on the string where it crosses the nut, and it works well on Fender style saddles also, especially Strats where the trem gets used a lot. I also use it on saddle height screws and intonation adjustment screws. It seems to be harmless to most finishes.

4. ISOgoldtone

You've about got me talked into trying out some Grovers on my Les Paul, Rico! You've eased my mind about the worry that I wouldn't be able to go back to the stock tuners if I decided to (which would be highly unlikely!)

5. dennistruckdriver

Be VERY CAREFUL when drilling or reaming the peg holes! I bought an Epiphone '56 Gold Top a while back which had had Grovers installed. The dipstick amateurishly drilled out the holes himself. He nearly destroyed the face of the headstock when the drill grabbed and broke huge pieces of the plastic headstock overlay out. It looked like crap!
    Here it is after I removed the Grovers and installed Genuine Kluson-made Gibson Deluxes:

[​IMG]

See the cracks around the tuners? What an idiot!

6. ISOgoldtone

That sucks dennis! The only way I'd ever install new tuners would be by using a reamer from the back of the headstock to the front so there'd be no chance of scratching/damaging the guitar. And from Rico's description, all I'd need to do would be open up the back of the holes a little bit, so the front would be totally unaffected. Am I reading that right Rico??

7. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I just installed Grovers on my '89 Studio. I had to elongate the screw hole a bit with a Dremel to accommodate the screws w/o modification to the guitar. My '88 custom had a pin instead of a screw so I used Sperzels and drilled a new hole for the pin. Once again, no mod neccessary to the guitar. My '87 used grovers and these fit w/o modification.

I like locking tuners. They are quick and easy to use and they work great. I have them on all but one of my electric guitars and it will have them soon as well.

8. dennistruckdriver

I was so disgusted with it, I sold it for quite a loss, but at least I was honest when describing the issues it had. My conscience was clear, and I slept well the night after I sold it.

9. Rico

Rico Senior Member

Yes. Here is what I did. I removed the high strings first. (G,B,E) then took off the E string tuner. I then took the reamer and inserted it from the back to the front. I then did a quarter turn, took it out and test fit the grover. This seemed like it took forever, but I didn't want to over-widen the hole. Once I was able to fit the Grover tuner in the hole, I then (and this was advise given to me by Roman) I put the reamer back in the hole and wrapped masking tape around the reamer, so that I'd have it marked to the spot where I should stop, turning. It worked like a charm, every hole after that was spot on. Now understand that this is what I did for the ORIGINAL ROTOMATICS. Are the locking ones the same in size.? That would be my only concern. Cause you'd want to be able to use the existing screw holes and not have to start another.

Oh and it was stated in another thread, NEVER USE A DRILL.

It will do to your headstock what Dennis showed happened to his. Sorry about that Dennis. I had a friend who had Grovers installed on his LP and it was a mess also, so when I decided to change mine, I said Phuck it, I'll do it my own-damn-self. Oh and by the way, I had the tuners and the reamer for about a month, before I got the onions to do it.

10. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

Well, I should rephrase.

If your replacing your tuners with any other tuners, why not get locking-ones!? :thumb:

11. Sea Pull

Sea Pull Senior Member

I'll throw a +1 in on the nut issue. I was having tuning problems, as soon as I lubed up the nut and the saddles they went away. And I mean went away I went to my local Guitar shop looking for nut lube, the guitar tech gave me a WD-40 felt pen. Said it works just as well as nut sauce. It did, a quick rub in each saddle and each slot on the nut and bang, restrung, tuned and the damn thing never went out of tune once all night. I played for like 6 hours too. Try it before you spend money on new machine heads.

12. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Not really. If you learn to fit strings well they don't slip any more than they do with locking tuners in my experience.

13. Paul86

Paul86 Senior Member

When I bought my Paul (an 86 standard) it came with Schallers the previous owner had installed. I then foolishly decided to install those generic snot-green things, because I wanted a more "authentic" look! What was I thinking? But, anyways, they do hold the tuning quite well. I can't understand why, because they wobble like hell, but once the strings are tight, they stay put. I guess what people have said about keeping your nut in shape goes a long way into keeping your guitar in tune.

14. BlackJack One

BlackJack One Junior Member

Hey guys... I'm in the midst of installing Gibson Moderns (Grovers) on my 05 Standard. Using a method similar to Rico's, using a reamer from the back only. The front holes remain the same, and the screw does line up fine in the back. Because I didnt mess with the front of the holes, the original vintages should go back on just fine. Its taking a god awful long time... been at it for hours now and only on the 3rd one LoL...

15. ISOgoldtone

Oh okay.....I get what you're sayin' now.

16. ISOgoldtone

That'll probably be me if I ever bite the bullet and buy the Grovers! And to answer your other question, yes........the locking grovers have the same post size as the original rotomatics that you installed on yours, so it should be the exact same process/outcome for me. I'm still going back and forth on whether or not I wanna go with the locking Grovers. I had been so used to the locking Schallers on my Strat that I pretty much sucked at wrapping strings well, but after restringing my Lester today, it seems like I did a pretty durn good job this time. Oh well.....we shall see I suppose!

17. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I have used a few different brands...you might want to look into planet waves locking tunners..I like them

18. Chollie

Chollie Junior Member

I put a set of Kluson Locking tuners on mine that work great... my only complaint with locking tuners is it takes longer for restrings.... And I do some drop D stuff so I still do full winds anyway.

19. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

Chollie, why does it take you longer to restring with locking tuners? I have them on two of my guitars and it should not take longer than non-locking tuners. At worst, it'll take the same time.

With locking tuners, you don't need to wrap the string as many times, though I would recommend wrapping at least once or you'll increase the risk of the string breaking at the tuner.

20. noslen1968

noslen1968 Senior Member

Although my stock tuners are really working well, I am quite interested in the Planet Waves type that cut the strings also. I just wish the posts weren't black and that I wouldn't have to modify my LP to get them in. I have heard that the string stretch is actually the strings slipping around the posts and is eliminated with this kind of tuner. But I really don't like the idea of putting more holes in my LP.