Are Jay Turser Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ToothDecay, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ToothDecay

ToothDecay Senior Member

...any good?

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Right around Epiphone quality. Maybe a little bit below - but not much. Very playable guitars - built in one of the Korean factories that used to build Epis OEM. Unsung factory makes 'em. I have a Jay Turser bass and a Jay Turser "PRS Style" double cut. Both are decent guitars.

They are definitely a step up from most of the Chinese stuff out there.

3. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both are fantastic looking guitars - solid construction - sound great - play pretty good (both could use a pro setup...)

Old photos taken while we were living in Korea. I have the bass here at home - the "Eagle" model is in storage.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I had a bunch of Tursers, but sold or traded most of them away. I had an SG copy that was a really well-made guitar, and a Gold Top LP copy that was kinda cool but very lightweight.

I still have these:

A blond 335 copy that I love.

[​IMG]

A modded electric resonator that I also really dig.

[​IMG]

And a 7-string that I got for 90 bucks.

[​IMG]

All play well, reasonably well built. The 335 copy is definitely my favorite of the three.

- D

5. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

Last year, I sprung for a red paisley Tele copy. It might be one of the most dreadful guitars ever to arrive at my house. The wood color underneath the paisley was uneven, resulting in a lighter section running right down the middle. The whole thing was light as a feather and didn't feel or sound like it had any balls to it. It was quite simply an awful piece of work. I wasted no time sending it back.

And I'm a connoisseur of cheap guitars!

6. ToothDecay

ToothDecay Senior Member

Hmm I was considering getting a Tele copy since I love them almost as much as LP's. Now I'm having second thoughts :hmm:

7. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

go squire if all you want is a tele copy or better yet go 4 a mim tele

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I agree w/ Squier - my Squier Standard is a nice guitar that I've gigged half a dozen times or so, and it was only $200. My SX Tele is total garbage - so don't go that route either. ;)

9. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

+1 on the SX.

It seemed all right when I first got it, but the more I looked, the more I found was totally jacked up. It sounds OK, but when I tried to intonate it, I found the neck pocket is about 3/16'' too close to the bridge, I actually had to put shims in between the neck and the end of the pocket wall just to be able to get the saddle back far enough. I got it to intonate there, but the low "E" string is actually bent backward coming out of the body hole before going thru the saddle. Playable, but not what I was after.

I also found that the neck pocket is routed deeper on the bass side than on the treble side, so the neck is "listing" about 3 degrees to port.

Glad I didn't pay much for it, I'll probably keep it around for the nieces and nephews to trash, it's pretty much firewood as it is.

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Cap'n - I lent my SX Tele to our drummer to "learn" some chords on (he's our lyricist, and wants to be able to strum along to himself while writing lyrics). I won't ever use it. I'd spend a pile of money for a major fret level and nut work - and would still have a cheap-o guitar in the end which costs more than a nice Squier or even MIM Tele.

11. captain tightpants

Yeah, I hear you. Like I said, it seemed OK at first, but the deeper I looked, the worse it got. It still sounds pretty good, but my Squier Thinline was WAY better out of the box. Much easier to get a decent setup on. Sorry if I steered you wrong on that one!

12. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Check out the CV 50's squire tele, most are great to go right out of the box, pine body like the originals, vintage tuner, vintage bridge, great pups, decent electronics (switch is crap), and fit and finish best any mim I've had or pondered having, $350 new, every now and again you see some used ones around $200

[​IMG]

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303025507

I have a CVS 50's and 60's strats, love emthey arent just good guits for the money, just good guitars.

peskypesky likes this.
  13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Its all good. I got an SX SJM that I quite like after a few hardware upgrades. It has one high fret and needs nut work - but I think I can get it squared away for under $60 in labor.

14. captain tightpants

Is that the funky shaped one like Bling got with the P-90's? I do dig those, but I'm not buying anything for a while. I think my next guitar purchase is going to be a double cut Warmoth LPS.

15. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Yup - this beast. $129.

[​IMG]

peskypesky likes this.
  16. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Microphonic pickups - not potted.
    Very light wood.
    Cheap hardware - tuners started to discolor in a month (no humidity in SoCal).

I sold it less than 3 months after I bought it.

17. Joseph Gioielli

Joseph Gioielli Junior Member

Contact Fort Mason guitars.

I have a JT "Redwood" Tele can I am very pleased with it. Simply put, I've had no trouble with it what so ever. Oh, I did get a little tarnish on the hardware. Considering the heat a hum. here in the tropics, and the fact that I don't polish anything, that isn't too surprising. 3 minutes with a polishing cloth took care of it.

I don't suffer from "brand name fever". Nor do I believe that a certain sticker on the head stock makes one guitar better than another. Some people do. For those folks, nothing but a name brand will do. Each to his own.

The grim reality is 99% of our guitars are made in Asia and are sold in the US market at a low price. This will result in a "reduced acceptable quality" standard. But you are going to get that on any guitar that sells for less than $1000. Sometimes some bummers get through. It is an issue.

If you are going to buy a low cost guitar, you need a good retailer. I was very impressed with Chance McFaddon at Ft. Mason Guitars. The guy spent an hour with me on the phone answering my questions. He also inspects and will set up your guitar for you.

best wishes
    Joe

18. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I got a faded special for $579, shipping included.
    The only thing it lacks is a nitro finish.
    So, I'd disagree that anything sub $1,000 is an import and less than what I expect from a guitar.

19. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i can feel myself wanting one of these more every time i see one... and i have NO idea why :)

20. bosrocker51

bosrocker51 Member

I have not tested the cheaper Tursers for intonation, but they look like they could be set up properly. Some of the Turser hollowbodies are very nice, and I have played one of them.

If I was on a budget I'd be tempted to buy a Turser hollowbody and mod it with vintage (pre-1964) Gibson P90's or some quality boutique buckers or 57 Classics