Are any of these Elites/Elitsist worth it?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Olympus Mons, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Olympus Mons

Olympus Mons Senior Member

My local GC has 2 Elites and one Elitist in. Definitely not mint condition. The white is an Elitist and the black and wine are Elites. The black one is pretty beat up with cosmetic wear, the white has a few cracks/dings but the wine looks in okay shape. Obviously, the guy who owned these modded them with different pickups, tuners, knobs etc. Price is $499 each. Is it worth it to invest some time and money into?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Yes !

Olympus Mons likes this.
  3. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

If I saw those in my local GC at those prices I know I'd buy at least one of them...

Olympus Mons and Rhust like this.
  4. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

And they will be gone soon now that they're posted in this thread...

Who and Olympus Mons like this.
  5. Buzzin_Cousin

I Would be curious to know some things about them though.
    What the wear is like on the backs, what year they were made , and what the neck profiles are like.

All that other stuff can be changed out , those pick ups look like DiMarzio's but they could be anything.

I'd probably hit the white custom if I didn't have three Elitists already.

Olympus Mons likes this.
  6. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

God, those coloured tuners/knobs/bobbins are ugly as sin.
    I'd go for the wine red and de-uglify it. Love me a wine red custom.

Olympus Mons likes this.
  7. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I've got a Wine Red Elite Custom... ;)

Beautiful guitar... (And I would NEVER put that kind of colored pickups, tuners, knobs, etc on it...)

Olympus Mons likes this.
  8. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

1) yes they are worth it

2) whoever made those choices is on my shit list.

winexprt and Olympus Mons like this.
  9. Olympus Mons

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went in this morning and grabbed the wine red custom. Looking at the white one there was a crack along the base of the neck that I didn't like the looks of, of course I'm not a guitar expert by any means so it could just be cosmetic for all all know. The black had a little too much wear on the back for my tastes, although I don't mind some wear I just decided to "play it safe" and go for the wine red which was the one I had my eye on anyway. I will be overhauling most of the components on the guitar as it looks horrible to my eye and it will be going back to the original look again. BTW, if anyone is interested in either of these guitars I was wrong they are both Elitists if that makes a difference and they are located in the Fountain Valley, CA Guitar Center. They are on the police hold until 9/9.

Rhust, Who and Buzzin_Cousin like this.
  10. Buzzin_Cousin

Awesome enjoy it, and Post pics

Not in that order....:applause:

Olympus Mons likes this.
  11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Those anodized sperzal tuners are worth $100 for the set easy and those do look like dimarzio pickups. You could probably gain back $150 to $200 on those parts to the right person.
    If these were in my local store I'd be hard pressed not to buy all of them at thise prices.
    Lots of wear on the black one tells me it probably had that sumthin sumthin the previous owner was looking for.

12. Buzzin_Cousin

I was thinking that about the parts too. Re outfitting would cost soMe $ too tho.
    The crack mentioned on the white one is a bummer tho

Olympus Mons likes this.
  13. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I have so many sets of pickups and tuners. I could probably put all 3 back in a more appropriate state with only having to buy some knobs. But thats cause im a parts horder.

14. Buzzin_Cousin

I was like that for awhile, but am trying to be more minimalist with my gear.

If it were my white custom, I would probably put some keystone grovers on it, nickel hardware around and put a harness together for it, either with the Elitist gibby pickups themselves or maybe some SD's. Wonder if the frets need some work as well..

Olympus Mons likes this.
  15. Olympus Mons

Interesting points. The black Elitist definitely looks like it was the guys numero uno at least when it came to these 3 guitars. I didn't spend that much time with it but next time I have a chance and if it hasn't been sold I'll go give it a play and if it sucks me in I'll consider purchasing it. The tuners will probably stay for a little bit, I don't care for the colors but they are good. The pickups will most likely be the first to go, the guy who worked there said he knew the guy who traded these guitars in and said they were DiMarzio's so I'll sell those off when I get the guitar home.

Like I said, I'm no expert. Next time I'm in this store and if the guitar is still there I'll try and take a pic and post it on the board so I can get some members with more knowledge than myself to weigh in, maybe I'm making a mountain out of molehill. I would actually like to know also because it is a pretty nice guitar and price would be right.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Buzzin_Cousin likes this.
  16. Buzzin_Cousin

When you do, check the serial # on the back of the headstock. It will start with an F then a #. That is the year it was made and can possibly tell something about the neck profile .

By the way what are the first two digits on the seriel number for the wine red one you bought?

17. Olympus Mons

F3.

When I briefly compared the necks of the 3 guitars I felt the black and white both had thicker necks than the wine red. I like a thinner neck, but this one felt thicker than the T+ I used to own which was too thin for my tastes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  18. Buzzin_Cousin

By thicker than the T+ you mean depth wise right? Like more of a C profile and thicker towards the middle of the C? Rather than a Thinner all the way around D shape?

19. Olympus Mons

Exactly.