Are all Historic necks quarter-sawn?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Member

Browsing Gibson catalogue for 2016 Historics, I found that it's explicitly stated that the '60 model has a "Neck: Quarter-sawn mahogany with '60 profile" while I didn't see that mentioned on the page for the '59. So I wonder whether that's just an omission of information or that only the '60 models got the quarter-sawn necks?
    I thought I knew how to identify a quarter-sawn neck, but now I'm not sure about that, and googling images "non-quarter-sawn neck" doesn't help much :)

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I have seen a few over the years that were not, from memory...............but the vast majority of Historics have Quarter Sawn Necks.

A friend of mine owned a '53 GT & a '59 / early '60 Burst (forgot the year) with Flat Sawn Necks.

I have also seen Rift Sawn Necks.

:cheers2:

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its very hard to get all wood perfectly QS. So at what point do you describe a blank as QS (or not). Looking at BOTB you can see plenty of grain run out in the headstock area.....but all of those would have been ordered to have been as QS as possible within variation.

mudface likes this.
  4. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Its actually one of the things I look at before I buy....with the variation in mind I like to "try" and find one with that chatoyant "stripe" straight up the back, nice and centered....

mudface likes this.
  5. 59noob

59noob Senior Member

I have not seen any Historic without a quartersawn neck. Would be interesting to see one, but I doubt there are many, or any, for that matter. This based only on what I have seen.

6. Andy California

Andy California Member

How do you actually tell quarter-sawn neck from non-QS one? Does anyone have a photo of a non-QS neck? I have rough idea about what a QS neck should look like but I am not sure my idea is correct :)

7. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I look for a specific type of grain...If I can shoot some photos this weekend I'll show you....or maybe someone else here can get to it before I can.

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

9. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

In the pic provided by RAG posted above, the Chatoyant Stripe looks like one or two strips of the bottom end grain sample of the quarter sawn example, some a stronger than others and some are not in the center.....most are accentuated by the finish....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Maybe it's the question that's getting a lack of response from goggle . How about "pics of Fender/Gibson flat sawn necks " or Rift sawn necks ?
    I know Fender did a run of Tele's this year or last year that had rift sawn necks ., easy to see grain since they are maple.
    This might help ..loads of pics (although not Gibson's , but easy to see the grain)

https://www.google.com/search?q=fen...AhVG5iYKHesjAWYQ9QEIYzAL#imgrc=HltvLHqhkXKbpM:

11. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I thought about setting up comparison shots with the fenders and Gibson's I have in the stable....but alas I work too hard.....Maybe this weekend if I don't sleep the entire Saturday and sunday