Are '50s Les Pauls really much more resonant than later ones?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by the passenger, May 24, 2017.

1. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

It's all about the big picture. I don't think you can isolate it to one, or even a few things. You could probably list 20 things that made "golden era" Gibson guitars unique and near impossible to 100% clone.

That being said, most of the wood for the Les Paul guitars was a unique dimension and was not purchased from the same supplier as most of the product line. I believe the maple was also sourced out of Ohio, not Michigan.

As a result, I do not believe the maple, and maybe even the mahogany, was air dried like some of the other wood.

There is also the argument that a few of the Les Pauls (Particularly early ones) had other wood, though similar in appearance, that was not mahogany.

2. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

It seems like that 1960 smokes the reissue but how can we be sure? The sound is so bad on that clip that I can't even understand what those guys are saying. :dunno:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. Lousyatit

Lousyatit Senior Member

I've had a burst since '83, my experiences when comparing it to later Les Pauls has led me to conclude that it's not apples to apples, the 50's models are different.

RAG7890 and Sunburstman like this.
  4. Kro64

Kro64 Junior Member

I have played 4 les Paul's from the 50 s , were they better than today's guitars, absolutely hands down !

kaputme, Lousyatit and Sunburstman like this.
  5. GermHerm

GermHerm Member

yes, maybe. However, we have to play the newer instruments of the Custom Shop, e.g. CCs, after, say 50 years. What will be the result? I will be dead by then....

6. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

Because Redheads are the hottest for sure

7. gibsonfndr

gibsonfndr Member

hi guys. I'm the lucky owner of quite a few "valuable" guitars among them a 58 LP custom., I have to admit that compared to others (my 89 standard for example or a 1990 custom) the unplugged sound is amazing. Very resonnant and powerful. Does it just come from the wood ? It definitely doesn't come from the player as it's the same clumzy me who plays these guitars ... does it come from the Bigsby ? I have other guitars with a Bigsby they don't sound as good as that when played unplugged ... so what ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Sunburstman likes this.
  8. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Senior Member

"the unplugged sound is amazing"

Do you gig it unplugged?

Lousyatit likes this.
  9. gibsonfndr

gibsonfndr Member

When practicing at home I never plug my guitars. Never. I then have quite an experience with unplugged electrics. Now the fact that this "amazing unplugged sound" translates as "the best sounding guitar" when plugged into my amp is no surprize to me.

1969 weatherman likes this.
  10. One-Eyed Jack

One-Eyed Jack Junior Member

An old LP versus a good reissue is really an apples and oranges thing. I don't think the '50s Gibson factory put them together any better than, say, an average 2015 R9. However, mahogany aging for 60s years (affecting the moisture content, for example) and real PAFs in a well played '50s LP make a new R9 inherently different than a '59 LP. This isn't to say that every '50s LP plays better than its reissued version, as someone pointed out there are vintage LPs that aren't spectacular. Wait 60 years and the R9s will sound better too. Meanwhile, play what you have!

jenton70 and Guitar Rod like this.