Archtop in Rhino / how can I careate the surface?!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanSto, Feb 20, 2012.

1. DanSto

DanSto Junior Member

Hello

I need to make a 3D Model of an Archtop guitar in Rhino3D 4.0
    I have already tried it with the function "Fillarea" but it does not fit proper to the splines (esspecially to the outline spline).
    Now I have clean redrawn, all my splines, like in the plan I got, but I cant create a good surface with any function... My goal was to use the function CurveNetwork but it makes the ends look really ugly.

Hope you guys can help me a little bit out of that problem - I cant believe that it would be hard to achive.

Here are some Screendumps:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grz DanSto

2. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

3. DanSto

DanSto Junior Member

Hello
    Thanks for that hint.
    But I want that kind of carve around the shape ( where the curve goes below the start point. - There must be a way to let rhino create a suitable surface out of these curves i drawn in from my plan.
    I need a proper solution pretty soon , and i am very new to rhino

Grz dansto

4. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

As I wrote, you can use this method but you have to use a somewhat different approach.

First, loft the outline curve to a straight center curve like in the screen dump.

[​IMG]

Add points to the lofted surface so you can edit the surface.

[​IMG]

Move the selected points straight up. in this case 12 mm.
    To enhance the recurven further I also have edited the point control weight of the last row of points on the recurve

[​IMG]

Trim the outline.

[​IMG]

Now we need to fix the cutaway surface. First draw a curve where you want the blend surface down to the binding to start and use that curve to trim the area.

[​IMG]

Build a dead flat surface in the cutaway.

[​IMG]

Blend between the flat surface and the trimmed top surface.

[​IMG]

Extend the blend surface.

[​IMG]

Cut/trim the extended blend surface.

[​IMG]

This took me like 5 minutes and there's obviously a lot of tweaking left to make it look great but I think that this is a fine method to do it, you can edit the control points until you get the result you're looking for.

5. DanSto

DanSto Junior Member

WOW - Thanks a lot for that great help -
    but I am very beginner and I cant get further than the step where I should lof the two curves - I cant add any control points as you did. Mine are all INSIDE the generated surface and there are no knobs to click outside. I think I am doning something wrong up from the very beginning...
    Is there any way to use the curves I took from my plan (the slices), to generate matching surface? The way you described needs all manual adjustment to match the curves.
    By the way: I wanted to try out the little helper program curtate_cycloid but I cant open it (its a .exe file / Maybe no 64-Bit?)

I am about to despair....
    Anyway - I really appreciate you good help so far!

grz DanSto