April Backing Track of the Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dools

Dools Senior Member

An interface? I'm lucky I can turn this thing on :laugh2:
    Ok, I did download Audacity and I did plug my Amplitude with iRig into my computer. I did bring this backing track into Audacity and was able to record a demo sound onto the track. (just to see if things were looking good. So far so good) When you say an Interface, what exactly do you mean? Is my iPhone an interface? Anyways, I'll try again tomorrow. I think I'll have something on Audacity by tomorrow. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to put it on here via "Soundcloud" :hmm: I'm learning.:fingersx:
    It's also tuff when your packing and moving at the same time. My new house, I'll be building a studio in my basement. :cool:

BTW, Thank you very much for the offer!! I really appreciate that. If I can't figure it out, I may take you up on the offer.

2. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Dude, if you can afford 80 bucks you can get this and it is all you need. Comes with recording software and great effects. Very easy to use and record with.

Cheers

[​IMG]

3. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Thanks Dude! If my iRig and Amplitude thingy thing don't work, I'll look into this. Where would I get this? That evil store GC?

4. RockyMtnGuitars

RockyMtnGuitars Member

Okay I really appreciate this feedback (and yours, too, SteveC). I'm going to chalk up the volume thing to a learning experience for next time.

As for the other comments, I needed exactly what you said... good to know on the key and I was concerned when I saw everyone else commenting on the change in the middle. I'm going to emphasize the "emotion" part and try for better continuity in May. I'm excited and hope to improve.

Thank you so much for starting this - it's been a blast!

1 person likes this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

What is an iRig? Sounds like an interface to me... Do you plug your guitar into it? And, then it plugs into your computer? Then.... YES!!! That is an interface :) Not the best of interfaces, but it will work.

A good, fair priced interface is something like what I use: Focusrite 2i4. That has good quality preamps and flexibility to grow. I would not recommend anything cheaper (or of less quality) than that class. There are other mfrs, too. Not jsut Focusrite... but, stick to that minimum standard. Even if it might seem "too much" for now.

So, since you got the BT into Audacity and were able to get your guitar on another track... all that's really left to do, is for you to mix the two tracks, by balancing the levels (very crude explanation) and then RENDERING to a .wav or .mp3 file - so you can post it on SoundCloud.

1 person likes this.
  6. SteveC

Don't take this the wrong way.. but, those kind of devices are usually outgrown very quickly and are... well, they are pretty much junk. They serve a purpose by hitting a very low price point. But, many people are not happy with them over time.

Not pushing the 2i4, but by example... it's about $100 more and it is of MUCH better quality, it has another input (if you ever need it), mic pads and with 4 outputs - monitoring is more flexible. This class of interface should be the minimum standard that you settle on.

Add another $60 for Reaper and you have a pro quality setup for under $250. Add an SM57 mic ($100) and an SM58 mic ($100) and your at $350.

Here's a good thread (sorry, on another forum) that should hep beginners: Recording Interfaces & DAW's

Again, I am not trying to be anything but helpful here :fingersx:

2 people like this.
  7. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Thanks!!! This has been very helpful! :thumb: I can't wait to build my studio now! It's coming! :hmm:

8. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Ok, so without driving myself crazy with May's track (I just can't put it in Audacity for some reason) Here's Aprils track. Better late than never they say.
    I did three takes and of course I can't find the best one out of the three. Just my luck I quess. It took me forever to figure out what to do with Audacity so I hope this works. I'm really just trying to get the hang of it. I think I can have some fun with this if I don't pull my hair out first. :laugh2:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dools492vs/cm-backing-track-take-2-w[/SC]

6 people like this.
  9. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Here's take one. I figure I'm so late with Aprils, I'll throw two in. Again, I'm still learning the recording thing here so be kind. I guess I needed to break some ice first right? I just learned how to overdub and save these files tonight. Not bad for somebody who is computer illiterate :thumb:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dools492vs/cm-track-demo-take-1-no-slide[/SC]

6 people like this.
  10. SteveC

Nice playing, man. I enjoyed your works. The slide was very cool. I didn't hear slide in that track, but you did!!! And you pulled a very nice theme out, too. Well done!

Oh, and BTW... you also did a great job with the recording. Good mix, nice separation and tasteful editing.

Now that you have it down cold - you'll find it is a disease, just like playing.

What did you end up using for your input device?

11. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Thank You!! I really didn't edit anything at all. I just recorded it on Audacity through my iRig and iPhone. I saved it to a file right after I recorded it. I did three takes and somehow lost one, the best one I thought anyways. Believe me, I don't know much at all about this stuff. I didn't know you could edit this. Good to know now. I just adjusted my recording levels accordingly and that was it. I'll be hooked!!! I'm on my way there now :thumb: Thanks for your help BTW!!!!! I still can't get May's backing track. That's the one I want to put some "Ripping Slide" on!

12. SteveC

You're welcome!!! Glad to help get ya going. Don't blame me now that you are a recording addict :)

Did you try converting the May BT in iTunes? That didn't work, either.

Shit!!! You're gonna do slide on the May track!?!?!?!? Uh-oh... i'm gonna be waaay outclassed. I might have to wait for yours to go up, before doing mine :wow:

13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Thought the slide was a nice addition. Mix was great for not knowing what you're doing!

14. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Thanks! Not bad for a recording Newbe! Thing is, I didn't do anything special other than record and download. :hmm:

15. James_lynn

James_lynn Member

This really makes a difference!One of the best April uploads,better late than never!

16. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

None taken. Taste is subjective;). I agree with you on a lot of the stuff. It turns out that this is discontinued.

It is fantastic for recording and you get sick tone through a nice of Speakers and a sub for practice.

I bought this for like 100 bucks, it came with Guitar Rig 4 Software and It is great for recording and also won't break ya. :hmm: IMO :wave:

For this thread I use my Digitech RP35O recorded through Sonar Producer 8. Works very well too.

Cheers & RNR

Lp