April Backing Track of the Month

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by kfowler8, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dpgumby

dpgumby Senior Member

OK - it is still April isn't it - here's my attempt.

https://soundcloud.com/dpgumby/mlp-bt-april-2

Brilliant thread - got me back into doing some recording for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten just how difficult it is. I can noodle away for hours with apparent ease, but as soon as I press the red button - amazing how my hands suddenly seem to acquire muscle alzheimers. Took me zillions of takes to get this - this isn't the best executed of them by any means, timing is a bit off in parts, but I preferred it for the musical ideas, so here it is warts and all. Oh and apologies if I've subconsciously copied anyone - I listened back to a few and realise that my octave bit sounds a bit like kfowler8s, but that's what I had in my head straight away when I first heard the track (great minds think alike???)

Some great stuff from many on here, great variety too.

Comments welcome.

Oh, and if anyone's interested my set up was LP Trad -> Boss GT8 -> Boss Micro BR-80. Simples.

10 people like this.
  2. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Yes, I got mixed up cause this one was was put out in late March. I think. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Nice dude, great stuff. :dude:

4. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

It is up :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  5. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

That was very awesome. well phrased! Bravo!

:applause:

6. parts

parts Senior Member

gumby
    Excellent playing and recording..

7. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

This thread is really making me appreciate how incredibly fun the internet can be.

8. Rocco Crocco

That.
    Was.
    Great!

Loved the ending.

9. James_lynn

James_lynn Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Does anybody live in the Rhode Island Area or Mass area that can record me? I just want to lay down a track so badly but don't know how to. I need to purchase Pro Tools or something and learn. I think I have some killer stuff to share here! :thumb:

Help! Please :sadwave:

1 person likes this.
  11. Rocco Crocco

audacity is free recording software and very simple to use. many of the recordings here were done on Audacity. Take your time and don't get frustrated, there is a bit of a learning curve if you've never done this...

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

1 person likes this.
  12. parts

parts Senior Member

5 or 6 days ago I was trying Reaper..Abelton..and Audacity..
    I had trouble with Reaper and Abelton
    Audacity.
    Download it
    Download ASIO drivers
    Record with Digital Interface

very easy..

1 person likes this.
  13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Also recommend trying Mixcraft. Very easy to use and offers a free trial.

14. Dools

Dools Senior Member

Thanks!! I'll try it. I tried the iRig and Amplitude but can't quite figure it out. I just want to plug in and play.

15. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

At least you guys don't get strange women following you. They all think I'm Kevin Fowler the country music guy. Go to kevinfowler.com. I get strange requests from Facebook too. One of his albums is "Beer, Bait, and Ammo". Ha!!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. RockyMtnGuitars

RockyMtnGuitars Member

Here is my attempt. I'd like to preface with a few things. I'm very new and it shows. This thread, however, has been a huge inspiration to me. Based on this, I've learned to record into my iMac, gotten much more serious with scales and learned to create / tab my own riffs. This project has brought me a long ways from where I was a month ago and I'm thrilled. I actually gave up last week, but got reinspired. Thank you all so much for everything you've posted, and especially the various encouragements!

I *think* I'm in key (I'm not certain...). I'm not terribly happy with how repetitive my patterns are, but it's something to build from. I tried the whole thing on my Tele and that was cool as well. I would appreciate constructive and fairly gentle criticism - feel free to PM!

My Attempt

2 people like this.
  17. SteveC

Do you have an interface? if so, just record your solo and send that to me. I'll mix it in with the BT for you.

18. SteveC

Welcome & congrats on having the balls to post your work. I know how intimidating that can be. Good job!

One thing stood out to me had nothing to do with your playing... the volume of the solo was (IMHO) a bit too loud, compared to the backing track. If you can, go back and balance them out a bit. Either lower the solo volume or, raise the level of the BT.

19. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Dude that was awesome really liked it. Especially the end. Very well done! :thumb: You can send me the royalties for the octave idea. :D

20. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

OK, #1 thing: you did it! You got it recorded and posted. You had the guts to do it. With that you'll go far. I don't want to discount how important that is. Good job.

My constructive feedback/impressions:
    • You were in key for the first part. Just playing a couple of notes like you did is fine. Don't ever feel like you have to just cram a bunch of notes in. BB King became famous for playing just one note in his solos. That being said it's critical to really think about your vibrato when expressing a couple of notes. That will help portray your feeling and emotion. That's sometimes hard to do when your "thinking" too much about technically what you should be playing. Read Sct13's post earlier.
    • I got the impression you were "searching" a bit for the notes and how they fit over the chords. This is really common with beginner soloists and will improve as you start to train your ear. You will get better at this the more you solo.
    • One suggestion would be to break these backing tracks down into smaller parts and then think about what you want to play on that smaller part. 2 min is a long time to play over.
    • Around 1:00 mark you do play out of key. Don't take it too hard because this is where the bridge changes key to major from minor. It's thrown a lot of us for a loop.
    • Finally, agree on the recording mix. Your solo was a little too loud compared to the mix.

I hope you found that helpful and constructive. I really hope you'll stick with posting as it'll be awesome to see you progress. Keep it up! :thumb:

2 people like this.