Applying tolex?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Pwrmac7600, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Anyone know how large of a container of tolex glue it would take to do a 4x12 cab?

2. TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo The Guitar Whisperer Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  3. THEBIGOLDDIRTYBIRD

THEBIGOLDDIRTYBIRD Senior Member

I used titebond 1 on 2 cabs and an amp head. I thought what the hell, one of the things i'm gluing is wood so why not? Worked fine and cheap. Used up basically an entire small bottle to do a 4x12 cab.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pwrmac7600

Thanks for the info guys, as you can tell by all my posts lately, I am getting ready to redo my old beat to hell marshall cab. I am going to make it one of my summer projects.

5. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

I have done near 1000 headcabs and have tried lot of different glue types .
    water based ,solvent based contact cement are the best .
    My preference is solvent based ,it is fast and gives the strongest contact.
    most people don't like solvent because of odor but if you use it in a well vented area with a exhaust fan and use a mask no problem.
    now contact cement take up to 1 hr to cure if it is air dried to touch ,not so if you use a hair drier on high for about 5 mins and fan the surface it will speed up touch time and ready to apply.....follow instruction on the can...don't buy in gallon can buy in quarts air left in gallon cans will cut the life of the cement.... .JIM

1 person likes this.
  6. Otto tune

Otto tune Senior Member

Seems like a video on YouTube showing how MESA makes cabinets showed how they do it.
    Basically, after the Tolex is cut a bit large, it's laid out on the table and coated with glue. Then the box is laid on that, not the other way around. Lots of rolling with a "J" roller, and the corner cuts are left for last.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pwrmac7600

Saw that Video. If I had the space Boogie has i would definitely try that option, but I have seen plenty of vids of people applying the Tolex To the cab as opposed to the cab to the Tolex.

8. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

Mesa Boogie uses a heated glue applied with a machine to the tolex ..they have to apply to cab very quick because the glue sets up fast...I wish I could apply my contact cement that fast ....I have to apply a even coat on the tolex and a coat on the cab with a 2"brush and to speed up apply time i use a hair drier on high heat and fan the surfaces on cab and tolex till dry to touch ..this takes about 10 mins ....i only do the areas of the flat surfaces to apply the flat areas first ...the roll over edges I do one at a time to finish the job ,other wise it works out a bit slower but ends up the same when finished

1 person likes this.
  9. Rayzer59

Rayzer59 Senior Member

Here is a set of instructions you might want to look at. I seem to remember it was originally posted in a newsgroup forum, but maybe not. I know this is the same set because of the heart-shaped cut-out in the cabinet. I have seen them referred to in amp builder groups as the Casey4s instructions. I bet a lot of the old-timers here have seen them.

How to Apply Tolex to a Guitar Amplifier Cabinet - GuitarKitBuilder

:dude::dude::dude::dude:

2 people like this.
  10. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

this video is basically the way I do my covering ...I don't use tape to hold in place I staple the inside edges on the inside which are not seen

11. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This... exactly what I use.. brush on for the wood and spray on for the material