Appetizers and a Colts game!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Hyper, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

So, we had a decent sized get together for the Colts game today. Instead of making a big meal, everybody brought appetizers which was the perfect opportunity to use some of the Arthur Bryants BBQ sauce that Jody Mauk sent me (thanks Jody!). :thumb:

Anyways, there was a ton of stuff. Greasebox brought these ham n' cheese rollups that were THE BOMB. If you're familiar with the Kolache Factory then you know what I'm talking about. As for me, I made something a little different. Since I had the sauce from Jody, I figured I'd fire up some MOINK Balls. What's a MOINK Ball you ask? Well, it's a frozen meatball (thawed) wrapped in bacon, dusted with your favorite dry rub and then doused in sauce. I also made some Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls (my wife's idea).

Here's what we came up with:

MOINK Balls -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Group shot-
    [​IMG]

Grease and myself giving a shout out to Jody Mauk for the sauce! :thumb:

[​IMG]

2. onedaycloser

onedaycloser Senior Member

[​IMG]

My chest started hurting when I saw this one, but I bet they taste great!

Damn high blood pressure ..

3. Homz

Homz Senior Member

My wife came up with a South Western egg roll that was awesome. It had black beans, corn, chicken, cheese and one chunk of pineapple (that part was my Idea).

Good looking spread there guys.

4. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

I'm still struggling after tonight's festivities. I think it was the last piece of Peach Cobbler that did it! :laugh2:

5. brianugly

brianugly Senior Member

You can buy some southwest chicken eggrolls at the store:) If there is an ALDI near you, check them out...

6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

So, How was it. ...Sweet Heat is the shiz-nit or what. ???
    I feel like I was there also. ...not in body, but in sauce:)

7. BstrdSonOJmsBrwn

BstrdSonOJmsBrwn Senior Member

JEEEEZ,Hyper....where was my invite,bro?:hmm::laugh2::laugh2::thumb::applause:....looks good:):thumb:

8. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

Dude! The sauce is amazingly good! I'd love to try it on a real "burnt ends" sandwich one of these days! My only regret is that I didn't do 1/2 Sweet heat and the other 1/2 bold n' spicy! There was so much amazing food tonight. We had calzones, dips, pizza, Cobbler, fruit salad and a bunch of other stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, Grease mad an awesome Ham & Cheese roll up that I would go to prison for! I might have to hold one of his guitars hostage one of these days for the recipe! Thanks for sending the sauce Jody!! :dude:

Damn BSOJB, my bad! Why am I just now realizing that you're here in Indy? There's always enough grub to go around!!! :thumb:

9. BstrdSonOJmsBrwn

BstrdSonOJmsBrwn Senior Member

:)thanks for the sentiment my brother!:thumb::thumb:.....there are a FEW of us rooted here:hmm:

10. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Thanks for sending the sauce Jody!!

Thanx for the RR Quiet Riot Albums my friend...
    Ill eat another Burnt End SAM-ICH for ya soon...and of course ill send you another Pic of it,,MMMMMMM..ha ha
    [​IMG]

11. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

No sweat. Hope you're getting some enjoyment out of them. If you do another burnt ends sammich, you gotta step up your game and do some video of it! :thumb:

:laugh2:

12. HARDWEAR

HARDWEAR Senior Member

Way to go Hyper!!!! Those eggrolls sound great. All of it looks great.

I cooked a huge pot of Jambalaya and a big chuck roast in the crock pot for the game yesterday. The wife made peanut butter and chocolate fudge.

Last week I made the muffs with homemade olive salad.

I think for the superbowl, I'm gonna do smoke babyback ribs and a couple of boneless pork loins. I already have everything in the freezer since we cancelled our last BBQ.

BTW, I bought a new smoker. I'll try to get pics up soon.

Good luck to your Colts!

13. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

Thanks dude! I figured that you'd dial in on the MOINK's. Lol! Ya know the Egg Rolls were good but I screwed the pooch in that I didn't know if everybody like onion so I made all of them without. Grease pointed out to me later that the onions were missing. Next time I guess.

Sounds like you have a pretty good spread going on for Superbowl. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Do you do Chuckies in the smoker at all? Great for pulled beef tacos!

Don't forget to put up pics of the smoker. Definitely like to see that. BGE, UDS, WSM or did you go buy a trailer with rotisserie racks? :laugh2:

Thanks for the Colt's love. They're gonna need all the help they can get. Gonna be a tough game!

14. BluesHowler

BluesHowler Senior Member

15. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

Did somebody say "Sausage Fatty"?

Got that covered! :D

Philly Cheesesteak Fatty:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 cheese with polish sausage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumb:

16. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Go Colts!!!

17. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Good god, you guys are nuts! :laugh2: I love me a nice meat sammich, but the rest of this stuff is too much for me.

18. HARDWEAR

HARDWEAR Senior Member

Yeah, I've done a chuck in the smoker twice. The first time, I did it kinda rare. The second time, I let it go like as if you were doing a butt and pulled it afterwards.

The smoker is custom made. A man I did work for had 3 made. One for his son-in-law, one for himself, and one for a customer as a gift. (he owned a huge steel/fabrication company and gave the customer one as a thank you for a steel order). This man sold me his since he has two other stainless steel cookers and was not using this one.
    The smoker is almost 8 feet long including the sidetable/rack. From right to left, it has a 40 inch high vertical, 60"X20" round horizontal, then the 20 inch fire box. What blew my mind was...the WHOLE entire thing is made out of 1/4 steel, not just the fire box. And the fire box is double walled with a heat resistant material between the walls so the outside don't get hot and funnels the heat more effectively through the cooker. It also has a SS ash tray. It weighs 1300 pounds..(lol, seriously)not counting the racks, which I have to either build or buy. And here's the sweet part....the man sold it to me for $800.00 bucks!!!
    I've seen these for 3 to 4 grand on the net. I have to sandblast and paint the outside to make it pretty but I have smoked 4 turkeys in it already, 2 injected, two brined, and they came out great.
    I'll keep ya updated with pics when I get it painted.

19. Hyper

Hyper Senior Member

$800.00??? :shock: Nice score dude! Did you buy a few lottery tickets as well? That's a major piece of equipment! Can't wait to see the pics! I still have my eye on a 22.5" WSM. When spring rolls around, it will be my first Q related purchase!

20. Benguitar

Benguitar Senior Member

*Shudderrrr*

For your sake I hope you have a pretty powerful toilet.