Anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by johndawg, Nov 6, 2017.

1. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

Hey... no worries. I completely understand and agree. I wouldn't expect their guy to tell me that it is broken and lose a sale. I basically took it in there for them to prove to me that adjusting the truss rod and putting pressure on the neck won't make the crack any larger. I plan to take it into a 3rd party shop this weekend for them to have a look.

Here's the thing... it's a really good looking Studio. It'll will probably never be a sought after collectable... but, it'll be nice to jam on and a nice addition to the collection.

2. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

How does it play? Have you taken the truss rod cover off to see if there is any damage in there?

3. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

So, the tech set it back to "Gibson Factory settings"... as he stated. The low E and A (not as bad) still has some buzz and the action is higher than I like.

I did take a peek at the truss rod looked fine when we took the cover off.

4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I would vote for a return and full refund... I wouldn't accept even a finish crack on a guitar sold as "mint"

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I'm surprised most people haven't chimed in and said return that sucker! It's had force, guaranteed force on the headstock that caused that crack, no debates at all, that's not a simple finish crack.... The crack means the bond in the wood has split and is still split. With a crack like that and I was a buyer I'd be walking away in a second unless you sold it to me for a HUGE discount.

Soo, you paid full price for a guitar that has a headstock stress fracture, your resale has just hugely tanked even if you get it fixed properly. If you paid say $800 for it and you love it, GC should knock off a good $300 dollars from that price or send it back and get a non cracked Studio. There are many nice Studios out there that don't have cracks.

Mockbel and johndawg like this.
  6. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

Agree with you. I finally had a chance to take the LP by an independent luthier. He said exactly what you said... that the crack was possibly cause by someone over doing it with the truss rod and that the fret board will eventually separate at the top. It's just a matter of time... and it would cost around $400 to get it fixed.

So, I took it back today. Very pretty Studio... I'm sure I'll get another one like it one day. Have my eye on a standard now. :)

Thanks everyone... for the great advice here.

yamariv, Mockbel and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Buzz and high action together spell trouble -- maybe someone's dialing in relief to "fix" wonky frets and can't go too far? Not sure what a look at the truss-rod nut would do, either.

ETA: Just saw the last post, disregard.

8. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Nice OP, glad asked us and that you returned it! Now good luck with your new hunt and keep us posted on what you find!:naughty: As for getting a Standard, you have my blessing!! Absolutely LOVE mine, it's my number #1 by far (See Avatar..) :dude: