Anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by johndawg, Nov 6, 2017.

1. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

hey everyone... my first post and I’m already asking for advice. :applause:

Picked up a 2008 studio fireburst last night. It is mint... not a a scratch on it. Perfect.. or so I thought.

I was playing today and looked down and saw a reflection of what looks like a crack in the sunshine. I can’t tell if it’s a crack in the finish, the wood or the if the fret board has popped.

Hoping someone can give me some advice on what is happening. I really like the Studio, but it’s gotta go back if this is a crack.

Thanks!

adams_neck.PNG

2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Hard to tell from that pic. Maybe just a finish crack? If so, consider it the onset of real, honest-to-goodness weather checking!

Kinda scary, actually. Yikes.

johndawg likes this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

If you put a little pressure (be careful! :D) on it, does it seem to move?
    I really hate those cracks, can be nothing, can be a whole lotta trouble.
    :hmm:

johndawg likes this.
  4. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I’ll try to get some better pics when I get home tonight.

5. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

6. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

If the paint is applied over the fingerboard, that crack could be right along where the fingerboard joins the neck, and...yeah...it could be more than just the finish.
    Very hard to tell.
    Pressure on the nut could have caused the finish to crack right there on the corner, but it's definitely a common crack for guitars that have taken a spill.
    Check closely if you can see anything on the headstock that could be evidence of a hit.

7. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

FWIW, that crack looks like the result of lateral pressure on the nut, i.e. from tuning. If that was indeed the case, I doubt it's worse than a finish crack - it would be hard to generate enough force to break the wood itself that way.

8. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

Thanks all... Is there anyone in the Atlanta area that you would recommend that I can take it in to have it looked at?

9. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Are there any marks or dents on the back of the headstock above the S/N?

11. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

No... none.

However, the serial number and date are hard to make out. But, I’ve read where that’s not uncommon on some 08 models with paint and a thick finish on it.

Makes me wonder if someone tried to repaint the guitar, but seeing that is a Studio... I️ am not sure someone would have gone through that much effort.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

That'd seem to rule out the idea of this being the result of a drop.

13. rtTX

rtTX Junior Member

johndawg likes this.
  14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

I'll share my opinion, AFTER saying "Welcome to the forum" and agreeing with taking it to the Gibson Repair Center, linked above. With that said, it looks to me like the nut has been replaced by someone who was "NOT TOO GENTLE" at removing the old one. I'm not sure, but '08 may have been one of the years that Gibson was gluing the nuts in with epoxy. If that was the case and the guy doing the work didn't realize it and/or have the proper skills to deal with it........... Whatever "rocket surgeon/brain scientist" at Gibson who decided to start putting the nuts on that way, shoulda been taken out back and given a GOOD WHOOPIN'! It will be a shame if that is actually the fretboard cracking loose. Studios are great guitars! What does it look like on the other side of the neck?
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

fumblefinger likes this.
  15. johndawg

johndawg Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome. The other side of the neck looks fine. It is an 08... So, the nut being replaced isn't out of question and the "fracture" does start at the nut. If only this thing could talk. ha

Anyways... I took it back up to GC where I bought it. I met with their Customer Sales Manger, and of course he thinks it is pure cosmetic. He wrenched the neck pretty good and I didn't see it move any further.
    There's also a buzz on the low E around 12 and it gets worse as you get higher on the board. He tried a few different things to get the buzz to stop, including adjusting the truss rod. That didn't fix the buzz, but it didn't change the fracture at all either.

I gave them the option... I can return it or they can fix it. So, they are going to try to fix it. We'll see what happens.

Appreciate all the great comments!

16. flashbak

flashbak Senior Member

I would definitely not let GC try to fix it! Have them take some money off the price and take it elsewhere for repair! Look close at that nut. Someone did a hack job on it. Look at the angle of the nut slot going toward the fretboard. I think it's likely the nut has been replaced. Might have even been done by GC. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    fumblefinger and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  17. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ What He Said Times Ten! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Gene

fumblefinger and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

3rd the recommendation that GC not be used for the repair.

I've chatted up enough of their techs to understand how truly spotty their knowledge is.

fumblefinger likes this.
  19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Apologies for seeming so harsh! I've occasionally met a few "techs" at GC who may have some knowledge, but their hands are generally tied behind their backs because the stores simply are not equipped to handle any sort of real repairs! Nothing farther than setup adjustments. There may be a rare guy who comes in, and out of pride brings some real, specialty tools with him, but at what that company is willing to pay, anyone worth half of a poop doesn't stick around any longer than it takes to give out personal contact info to enough folks to do his own little shop out of his garage, kitchen or bedroom! While I realize that I may not make much more for a job than I'd gross doing it at GC, it's done "under the table" (no license, insurance, overhead, etc, etc.), in the comfort of my own space, at my own pace, and so on. Not to mention, when there's nothing on the bench, I don't get stuck checking in stock or standing around with my thumb (or head) up my @$$! Corporate folks/entities have very little respect for those who "ONLY" know how to do skilled work with their hands! Oh, and I get to pick my customers and send the A--HOLES and IDIOTS packin'!

Rant Over!
    Gene

20. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Welcome!
    If there is no movement when applying some pressure and you really like it then its a keeper. But if you plan to sell it in the future then might as wheel get it repaired or replaced. My 2 cents. :)

johndawg likes this.