Anyone tried D'Angelico's new string formula

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by scooter500, Dec 19, 2016.

1. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

They have a cool story but haven't bought any yet: Zinc coated steel strings... http://dangelicostrings.com

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Well, I've read about how older strings had a different, perhaps better, tonality, but this had to do with the steel used, not the coating, so this sounds like a nice marketing tale that misses the main point. (What I've read about these strings talks about the zinc coating, not the steel beneath.) Maybe I'm wrong; if they're using the old formula steel, I'd give 'em a try; if not, probably not.

3. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Okay, did some research and learned the large majority of quality violin "E" strings... what? I just lost everyone with the violin string thing? :laugh2: ya, quality violin "E" strings are steel coated with tin like these D'Angelico strings. Manufacturers claim their tinned strings are warmer and project louder and reviewers agree. They also claim tinned steel have a softer feel. D'Angelico says these new strings are EXP coated too. These are on the expensive side but I'm going to get a set of the wound 12-52s for my ES-175 knock off and a lighter set for my LP too. :fingersx:

Oh, here's the video link that first caught my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9NCuhnTAs

4. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

So, just a little late getting back on this... I found these strings to have a very even, mellow tone. Tension is light on an LP scale neck, and the feel is good. They do remind me of violin strings. Perhaps best for old school jazz, but I found them reasonable for other styles too.

5. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

"Engineered by D'Addario"
    Finally, a company that put that on the damn label.
    Now I'll know what to avoid.

scooter500 likes this.
  6. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

I like your comment, morbidalex666, I mean I gave these strings a good try, but these strings really do belong on a traditional hollow body guitar of some kind. What strings do you like on an LP?

7. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Man, string choise is a very personal thing.
    I like Pyramid nickel classics but, so what?
    They're not for everyone. They bend further, stay in tune better, last longer and sound better than any other non-coated string I have played. It's amazing to me that I leave the guitar in its case, come back the next day and the thing is still in near perfect tuning. Still, many people don't prefer them and that's fine. I myself am on the lookout for a viable, more affordable alternative.
    My comment came from my trying to give D'Addario strings many chances over the years (mainly due to their low cost), without any luck. And I've tried their nickel plated, stainless, pure nickel and even their NYXL sets. My sweat just kills them in 2-3 hours of playtime.