Anyone thrown a humbucker in a Jr.?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Seahawk2982, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Seahawk2982

Seahawk2982 Premium Member

So I picked up a 57 Junior bout a year ago. Its got replaced tuners and Mojoaxe bridge with 59 pots and 59 P-90. Killer guitar but it has had humbucker route done under the P-90. Its very discreet and the Dogear cover covers it all pretty much aside from the mounting ring holes peeking out. So.. since its been modded already, I thought it might be cool to throw a bucker in there for a bit. Im thinking of going vintage pat # or t-top to still keep the vintage hot rod vibe. Or should I go with a newer boutique wind PAF. What do u guys think? I have heard issues with new pickups in old wood, or is that a fallacy?

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

You can definitely do it, but do it without routing. I have a 1959 Junior that was routed out for a humbucker, before being converted back to a P-90. It's a terrible thing to happen to a vintage instrument, for no good reason.

People will tell you that you can't put a full size HB in a P-90 route without modifying it. Those people should be ignored or educated. I'll see if I can upload some photos shortly.

Better to modify the pickup than the guitar.

What humbucker you go with will be entirely up to your personal sonic preferences.

d1m1 likes this.
  3. cooljuk

I didn't do any of this work. It came to me like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

d1m1 likes this.
  4. cooljuk

Ok, here's the photos I was really looking for....

You can do a humbucker conversion without any routing AND if you really want you can make it absolutely stealth, too!

[​IMG]

Dummy screws. Adjustable even, but sonically worthless. Just for appearances.
    [​IMG]

You'd never know!
    [​IMG]

Family Man and d1m1 like this.
  5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Whoa!

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

It MUST be a SUPER DISTORTION for that vibe.. Double Cream, no ifs and and buts.:naughty:

Vintage preferably..you want the one with three holes on the top.

7. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

A non covered t-top, black coils, rusted screws and worn plastic would look cool!

8. Seahawk2982

Like I said its already ready to go for the humbucker. The P90 route was widened ever so slighly and mouting ring holes drilled. All is covered by the Dogear cover.

9. cnote

cnote Senior Member

This is a 57 I had - it's the old Petra guitar. Any good humbucker works fine.

[​IMG]

10. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

I did it to a 61 LP Junior, no routing needed, just needed to glue in a couple dowels to accommodate for pick up ring screws.
    61 Junior + 59 Paf= sweet. I wound up putting the P90 back in it though, no issues. cept for a couple little screw holes from the
    pick up ring:)

11. ColdCobra

ColdCobra Senior Member

If its the original P90 I doubt you'll do much better.

My 75 goldtop deluxe came with a humbucker in the bridge. (black/cream Super distortion of course!) The baseplate had the tabs removed, and a screw held the baseplate in place so there was no height adjustment. A mounting ring was screwed in for show. I went through a P90 and a minihumbucker but now the super D is back in! it sounds pretty cool.

12. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

Here's mine. 1955 Junior modified by Strings and Things during the '70s.

Long adjustable posts on the pickups will cause them to lean a bit.

Here's a little clip of me playing it yesterday through my Firebird Musical Amp named "Annie." FMAs are very similar to Trainwrecks. My buddy Dom at Celestial Effects custom builds these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

d1m1 likes this.
  13. duke_ford

duke_ford Member

That's pretty cool.

The luthier(s) at String n' Things in those days must have had a hard-on for pre-war Gibson headstock overlays. They did the same thing to Jeff Beck's Yardbirds burst when they replaced (or repaired) the neck.

14. reedy

reedy Senior Member

If you've still got the original p90 I don't think any modern humbucker is going to give anything better than what that can deliver. If it was me, and I was going to drop a HB in my vintage junior I would be seriously looking at James' P90 sized HB. Besides the fact it requires no mods he makes seriously good sounding pickups.

15. Seahawk2982

The original P-90 sounds killer. Its a 1959 P-90 but still vintage and period correct. Since it has been routed for a hb underneath I figured itd be cool to see what a hb sounds like is all. Can always drop the P-90 back in when I choose to.

16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Talk is cheap! We demand photos! :thumb:

[​IMG]

17. bsteff666

bsteff666 Senior Member

Go for it. My 57 with humbuckers sounds amazing as my others do...just a little different. As long as you have a good sounding humbucker (old or new) you will be fine.[​IMG]

d1m1 likes this.
  18. halebox

halebox Junior Member

I direct mounted pickup and modified a P90 cover. I've also put a bill lawrence l500xl with no routing and P90 cover on top
    [​IMG]

19. cooljuk

:applause:

Like!

20. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

My current favorite humbuckers are a set of patent sticker t-tops from 67. They're sound great and they have a nice attitude to them without being very hot.