Anyone run a '59 neck & SD Custom 5 bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by sjturbo, May 28, 2017.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

Currently I have a '59 neck and JB bridge. I think the mids are a bit much on the JB wondered if anyone has tried the Custom 5 as a replacement?

2. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I've come close to it.. but the custom 5, to my ears is a very mid-scooped thing... I thought of it for sludge/doom... that should tell you what I think of it...

the 59 is a great, bright pickup... idk how the 2 would work together... but the 59 is one of the neck pickups that SD recommends with the custom5... but personally, I think something like the alnico2pro would be a better match

3. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

What amp do you use and what style of music? The Custom 5 is a little scooped and may work better with something mid-heavy. I tried it in a guitar several years ago and it sounded decent going into my Shiva, but not an "OMG THIS IS MY SOUND" kind of thing.

Depending on the amp and style, the regular Custom may be a better choice. It's a bit bolder than the Custom 5, but not as honky as the JB.

If you're determined to stay with Duncan, that is.

Nick

JohnnyN likes this.
  4. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

I use the C5/'59 combo in one of my Warmoths (mahogany body, rosewood neck, Floyd). My C5's the Trembucker version for the wider string spacing. Sounds great to my ears. Easy to control with gained-out amps, too.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I've done close- I have a Jazz/Custom 5 in my Music Man, and that combo works really well. However, it is a very mid-heavy guitar, so the scooped sounds of those pickups complement the tone of the wood.

6. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

Thanks for the inputs! I have a MusicMan 112RD50. The pickup change is for my Hamer Special. The JB is a bit to "honky". I usually count on pedals to work the sound and adjust the mids. MM is clean and clear and good pedal platform. Play classic rock, southern rock, blues. Mostly everything but metal.

7. Jock

Jock Senior Member

I think Schenker had that setup in his Gibson Vs long time ago. sounded magic to me.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

I though Schenker used a straight Duncan Custom?

ntotoro likes this.
  9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

A Custom is probably the best choice, although if you don't want to hit the input so hard, look at the 59/Custom Hybrid. It has a good combo of vintage/modern tones.